• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boss called me a liar.

I've been in your shoes, minus the pay element. There are few things at work I'm prouder of than my integrity, and attacks on it are probably what hurts me the most.

To me, you need to separate the short term actions you can take from the longer term.

Short term:
Document these emails and events, reply firmly but not aggressively so that your boss understands you are not a pushover, and perhaps report to HR.
Until you posted additional information, I was about to suggest replying to your boss, CC his boss, but it seems they're on the same side.

One side note, I would advise against replying to your boss and copying the boss 2 levels higher up who likes you, in case you've thought of that. It is likely to do more harm than good, management tends to side with the higher person up, otherwise they're admitting that they might have made a mistake making someone the manager. Those who look like your strongest ally can sometimes turn the fastest & hardest against you (I've had that happen to me a few months ago; didn't see that one coming).

Longer term (assuming there is a pattern in your boss's behavior, and it was not a one-time incident):
Look into those opportunities you have been offered. I know how it is to like it at a place, to like the rest of your colleagues, to be afraid of change (especially since you know what you'd be leaving, but not what you'd be walking into), but there's a simple fact that is not going to change: your boss falls on the enemy side, and this is not going to change. He will keep on trying, every chance he gets, to hurt you one way or another, blocking promotions, pay rises, etc. You haven't had a raise in 20 years! I don't know about Germany, but I know that in France, if an employee hasn't had a raise in over a certain number of years (aside from collective raises based on inflation), while other employees have had one, it can be considered discrimination, more so if your reviews are good. I mean, in 20 years, if you weren't good at the job, they would have gotten rid of you by now, so if you're still there, it means you're doing well enough. Your boss, and any one on his side, probably view the fact that you like it there, as an advantage for them, because they know you are less likely to leave, and will be doing your best to keep this. At the moment, this is your weakness, along with loyalty, and they're playing on that.

They've started a war already, albeit a quiet one. There is no more loyalty, you just have to change the dynamics and become the one calling the shots. Your best bet is to walk out on them once you have a solid back up plan, and do it at the shortest notice possible. Let them deal with the aftermath, perhaps this time they'll remember to keep track of training when they hire someone to replace you.

Last edited:
But I am jammed in terms of how to deal with it. Ignore the e-mail, confront him, go to the Human Resources department and complain (career limiting, I suspect, for ME)
Stay true to yourself and let him stew in his own juices. Aspies have the advantage in this kind of situation. That advantage is "endurance" We know how to "stay the course" even in the roughest waters. And those waters will sink his ship long before he gets to you. BTW- From past experience I agree with your suspicion that taking the matter to HR could be career limiting. The typical HR person is focused on keeping management happy--not resolving employee disputes. And if you spend time documenting the nonsense this boss exhibits, he will claim that this is how you waste your time instead of doing your job.

Your best bet is to walk out on them once you have a solid back up plan, and do it at the shortest notice possible.
This will only prove that the new boss might have been right about you. His plan seems designed to have you lose your cool and do something rash. Then he can show that he "has control of his team" A true Aspie can never be intimidated in this way so just stay the course.

Things have never been great. I make more than he does -- or so he tells me -- and we have never clicked. He talks smack about me to other employees in the company.

He sounds like a knob. Unfortunately he also sounds normal. Sometimes I wonder if I ever left school. Politics in the workplace can be ridiculously immature sometimes.

He recently sent an e-mail in which he suggested plainly that I lied to him on a matter that is trivially verifiable... No, this seems like a completely unprofessional pissy snark thing. A cheap shot due to some unvoiced frustration. And from my boss, which is entirely dangerous.

Sounds like a good assessment. I've had loads of NT managers and they often let their emotions override professionalism. Sounds like he has a lot of pent up rage from him, probably due to him being less competent than you, and sounds like he knows it. He probably doesn't have sufficient access to your salary and his statement about pay is indicative of resentment.

So your course of action really depends on your end goal. Like a fighting fantasy novel, (but without violence or ogres), do you want to:
  1. Stay working for him and repair your relationship. (the hardest and most soul destroying choice)
  2. Define some neutral ground and continue with the uncomfortable relationship that you have right now.
  3. Prove to your co-workers that he is a knob and undermine him. (with or without is knowledge)
  4. Squabble and express your frustrations.
  5. Find a new job, internally or externally. (which is actually not mutually exclusive to any of the above)
And it pains me to say but there isn't really a concept of unions anymore and HR isn't what it used to be.

What I finally did was secretly compiled recordings of my supervisor threatening me, insulting me, etc. I then filed a three-page complaint against him outlining dates, times, witnesses, etc and sent it to Human Resources.
This sounds like a sexual harassment issue. If so, it is a more serious matter than what MountainTrails describes in her post.

Stay true to yourself and let him stew in his own juices. Aspies have the advantage in this kind of situation. That advantage is "endurance" We know how to "stay the course" even in the roughest waters. And those waters will sink his ship long before he gets to you. BTW- From past experience I agree with your suspicion that taking the matter to HR could be career limiting. The typical HR person is focused on keeping management happy--not resolving employee disputes. And if you spend time documenting the nonsense this boss exhibits, he will claim that this is how you waste your time instead of doing your job.
You underestimate just how ruthless people can be in defending a perceived threat to their position...it doesn't matter how nice he is the boss is scared of being replaced by him...he wont stop!
In this sort of situation you have to draw the other bad person carefully out into the open so others can see what is really being done...so you have chance otherwise he may as well just pack up and leave before his rep is entirely ruined by slander!
Pretending it will go away will just increase the damage!
However it is important to be sweet and look like Gandhi :innocent: while fighting back very carefully...the boss wants to provoke a fight so he can toss him out.

This will only prove that the new boss might have been right about you. His plan seems designed to have you lose your cool and do something rash. Then he can show that he "has control of his team" A true Aspie can never be intimidated in this way so just stay the course.
I beg to differ. If the boss is resorting to some intimidation tactics and "little" humiliations here and there, it's already a situation where there's nothing to win anymore. Stay the victim? I don't see how that can benefit our friend. Most people, upon seeing their bullying elicits no reaction, just go harder at it until something happens.
And it seems that our extra endurance comes at the cost of a more intense crash the day we had too much. If he's suffering from the situation, and he just might be already, he's already reached the point of no return.

Honestly I would gladly have recorded all the insults I got from a coworker if I'd had the proper equipment, and there was zero sexual harrassment in there, just unfounded accusations, discriminatory talk & so on.
I suppose Sportster or MountainTrails would have a similar experience.

Stay the victim? I don't see how that can benefit our friend. Most people, upon seeing their bullying elicits no reaction, just go harder at it until something happens.
You can only be the victim in this kind of intimidation if you let yourself believe you are the victim. This is basically a cat and mouse game. In order to win you must believe you are the cat. If you let the bully believe he is the cat, then that makes you the mouse. That is why NTs are disadvantaged when they play the game with an Aspie. We tend to be far too analytic to ever let ourselves believe we are the mouse. And if this causes the bully to go at us harder, that makes us the "underdog" Watch how quickly the team turns against a leader who picks on the underdog.

You're clearly underestimating the propension of weaker-minded NTs to team up with the boss who picks on the underdog, in hopes that it will get them favors.
Bullies aren't as smart as most of us, sure. But they're just as endurant, and their wolfpack mentality can cause a lot of damage, whether it's on the Aspie's career (promotions, reputation, bonuses, or even something as simple as work conditions) or health (mental and/or physical).
As soon as the behavior of other people causes harm, that battle is lost. Doesn't mean Mountain Trails can't have the last laugh, though, and retreat & concede a battle in order to win the war.

I have had a pretty successful career so far. But I am stuck with a current situation.

Got a new boss a couple years ago. Things have never been great. I make more than he does -- or so he tells me -- and we have never clicked. He talks smack about me to other employees in the company.

He recently sent an e-mail in which he suggested plainly that I lied to him on a matter that is trivially verifiable. (Basically, did I take some required training.) He's not stupid, so he knows he could have just called the training group in our company and asked. He's not lazy, so it's not that he couldn't generate an e-mail. No, this seems like a completely unprofessional pissy snark thing. A cheap shot due to some unvoiced frustration. And from my boss, which is entirely dangerous.

The thing is, I take my integrity seriously. If I don't have a receipt for a business expense, I eat the cost rather than start any perception of shenanigans. I am BOILING MAD and am fighting emotions of punching his teeth down his throat. (Won't happen, I telecommute from far away, and he's younger and bigger than I am; I am not suicidal regarding my life or my employment. But those feelings are surging.) His approach is complete ********, disrespectful, and just shows poor skills on his part.

But I am jammed in terms of how to deal with it. Ignore the e-mail, confront him, go to the Human Resources department and complain (career limiting, I suspect, for ME), what? I could use some thoughts on this one from anyone who has seen this play out.

Is it me or are a lot of managers just active sociopaths? I am really sorry that you've had to deal with this. It sounds like he is the actively sabotaging type and I can only hope karma comes around to bite him in the a**. I've put up with those types throughout my 16 year career working in corporate America. I think the whole social dynamic of the workplace caused me to hit serious burnout. If you can get some sort of proof that he is doing this, maybe a visit to a lawyer might be more effective. I had a little fun with one manager whom I got fired for harrassment because of a little pocket sound recorder hidden in my shirt. I played a juicy tidbit for the HR Generalist and the manager was relieved of his duties 3 hours later.

With respect it's not the 1970's any more, if you have a problem at work you can't just "file a grievance with your Union".

However, if you resign because the Boss is doing your head in, effectively they've won because you jumped before they pushed, so you're a bit stuck either way IMO.

Perhaps but it is not quite that simple. Staying in a work environment that is toxic causes harm to you, both physically and mentally. If you are in a situation that is effectively a stalemate, then moving on might be the best decision. Empirically-speaking, if you do quit, the boss might have won the battle, but these guys can and do make mistakes, and when they do, they fall fast and hard.

Is it me or are a lot of managers just active sociopaths?

As discussed, it’s not just you.

Whatever we call them, they don’t have actual lives to get in the way of the drive for power and ego-food and what is called “narcissistic supply.” They will scheme far more and are not worried about doing anything unethical.

And it works.

I have found that being conscientious about documenting anything hostile, or even just weird, is invaluable. Keep a work diary, send emails when appropriate, and if someone is doing or saying anything abusive, write it down... in front of them.

During all my decades in the workforce, I have seen this playout many many times - like watching reruns on tv, it's very predictable with only an occassional unexpected twist. What is always the same in tv and in real life is that ONLY muckity mucks controlling the action get a say in the outcome. Like everything else in life, there is no cause and effect relationship between what you do and what happens to you when and if you've already been written out of the script.

If this is an isolated incident where your boss simply had a brain fart and isn't targeting you, then simply matter-of-factly emailing back the verification saying "Sorry, I didn't get this to you sooner." will cover it. Of course, cover your behind by using the reply all feature to include his boss, HR, and anyone else who might need to be reminded you don't deserve this boss's crap. Minimize the incident as much as possible so you won't become a target. If there is some way you can discreetly do so, find out what's going on.

First and foremost keep in mind that HR and your boss's superiors (WHO HIRED THE BAD BOSS AND ARE CONTROLLING HIM) are not your friend. If they were, they would already have acted in good faith and fixed the problem. If bad boss is targeting you, don't take it personally. It may be his own personal hate and fear and prejudice or it may be a mandate from his own bad boss. Since HR decisions in America are based primarily, if not solely, on ageism and racism and sexism and all those other -isms, it's a miracle someone of your work ethics, experience and competence is allowed to have a job at all. Congrats!

If they are already in the process of forcing you to quit or falsifying a reason to fire you so they can avoid paying the retirement benefits they owe you and hire someone cheaper who fits in with the current preferred demographics, then a better job elsewhere is your best option - if you can get it. The courts automatically rule in favor of a corrupt corporation against an illegally terminated senior employee, but if you do have access to an attorney or other advocate who has successfully negotiated fair deals, make the call before it's too late. If they do decide to get rid of you, it's a classic case of age discrimination.

The only other out of the box thing I can think of that hasn't already been suggested is this.You could get your diagnosis and try to get your job back by requesting the reasonable accomodation required by law. It works for people who are a different race, religion, sexual preference, etc. Why not us?

Well you call that boss a dirty, low down, stink'in, rat faced, lousy son of a mother's potato peeler, right back.

Well you call that boss a dirty, low down, stink'in, rat faced, lousy son of a mother's potato peeler, right back.

Yeah no actually DON'T do that, don't sink to his level by insulting him back, however much you might want to.

I have had a pretty successful career so far. But I am stuck with a current situation.

Got a new boss a couple years ago. Things have never been great. I make more than he does -- or so he tells me -- and we have never clicked. He talks smack about me to other employees in the company.

He recently sent an e-mail in which he suggested plainly that I lied to him on a matter that is trivially verifiable. (Basically, did I take some required training.) He's not stupid, so he knows he could have just called the training group in our company and asked. He's not lazy, so it's not that he couldn't generate an e-mail. No, this seems like a completely unprofessional pissy snark thing. A cheap shot due to some unvoiced frustration. And from my boss, which is entirely dangerous.

The thing is, I take my integrity seriously. If I don't have a receipt for a business expense, I eat the cost rather than start any perception of shenanigans. I am BOILING MAD and am fighting emotions of punching his teeth down his throat. (Won't happen, I telecommute from far away, and he's younger and bigger than I am; I am not suicidal regarding my life or my employment. But those feelings are surging.) His approach is complete crap, disrespectful, and just shows poor skills on his part.

But I am jammed in terms of how to deal with it. Ignore the e-mail, confront him, go to the Human Resources department and complain (career limiting, I suspect, for ME), what? I could use some thoughts on this one from anyone who has seen this play out.
Do you need help hiding the body?

New Threads

Top Bottom