• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bombarded with Youtube ads?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Has anyone noticed that there are more and more ads on Youtube, even on short videos; and many of them you can't skip any more and some of them are quite long?

As this their response to the Adpocalypse?

Yeah, while I have an ad blocker on my desktop, using Youtube app on my phone I have noted more ads, even than before. Before most ads just played at the start of the video but now they appear in the middel as well.

Idk of companies started to bomb videos to increase their sales during this pandemic, but at least for me so many ads make the opposite effect, they make me "hate" the companies and try not to buy anything from them.

Yup. I guess they figure they can make money that way. Most of them I can still skip. There are browser add-ons for that.

Always, always use adblocker. Just do it. More than one blocker, if possible.

If you're concerned about supporting content creators, look for their Patreon accounts or whatever. Believe me, they know full well how bloody annoying this junk is... there's a reason why more and more are turning to alternate methods of support.

Ad makers never seem to grasp that maybe... just MAYBE... annoying the funky heck outta potential customers isnt the best way to get them to buy something. But then, that's corporate logic for you.

I use firefox with an ad blocker and pretty much don't see ads anywhere. I have had a problem lately with youtube videos not loading properly (or something) pretty often. Like, I'll start a video and then about a minute in to it the video will go to a buffering circle and won't ever stop buffering, but if I reload or refresh it will usually play through after that.

I also usually won't ever buy anything from a place that sends or shows me ads. It would be nice if they would take the hint.

I use a youtube blocker on my chrome. Can't do it on my phone unless I have youtube premium and I refuse to use my husband's account for no ads or he ends up getting my stuff for his video suggestions and I get his stuff for video suggestions which is mostly politics while mine are online drama stuff and abandoned places and video games.

I always use an adblocker in my browser (Firefox) and I never, or rarely see any ads. I rarely ever use my phone to browse, and if I do, I use firefox + adblocker there, too. I can't stand ads for many reasons - they are intrusive, in-your-face, they prevent me from concentrating and as far as I'm concerned a waste of band space because I'm not going to buy their product, especially if they are constantly shoving in in my face - I don't work like that. It actually has the opposite affect, because if you keep bugging me or shoving a product in my face or contantly trying to get me to buy things, I just won't.

For me, the mystery is how constantly bugging people with annoying ads works at all, and yet it must do because it's such a huge multi-$$$ industry.

Last edited:
The purpose of youtube ads are the youtubers get paid for their videos from every views they get when the ads are played.

If the videos are demonetized, there are no ds. That is why most youtubers have other platforms like Patreon and sell merchandise or do advertisements in their videos for sponsors. I just skip over the sponsors.

Adblocker on desktop and YT Vanced on mobile were my solutions to the annoyance. I don't mind an ad or two, but multiple adds in the middle of the video are just ridiculous.

It is deliberate in order to get the user so frustrated with stupid ads, that they pay each month for not to have ads.

You can get a free trial, however, any videos or music you download whilist in trial period, they delete ( they "kindly" let you know this. Also, you have to be the one to watch for the trial time period being up, because if you do not, you will automatically be billed. Alhough to give them some credit, you can stop that quickly enough.

Most do this now.

The purpose of youtube ads are the youtubers get paid for their videos from every views they get when the ads are played.

If the videos are demonetized, there are no ds. That is why most youtubers have other platforms like Patreon and sell merchandise or do advertisements in their videos for sponsors. I just skip over the sponsors.

Ah, this also brings up another bit of advice for everyone:

Dont just get adblocker. Also get Sponsor Block. You know those REALLY irritating sorts of "ads"? The ones that arent really ads, but are instead the Youtuber themselves talking inanely about some stupid product because that video is sponsored somehow by them? So that normal adblockers cant catch it? Sponsor Block skips that crap for you. When you hit that point in a video, it just pops to the end of that segment instantly so you dont have to deal with it. Recent versions of the program also skip things like the whole "okay before we get to the parts you care about, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND BLAHBLAH". It works based off of data submitted by users. That's how it knows where those sections are.

Been using it for awhile now myself. It is great.

Nothing I can do about YouTube ads when I'm watching streaming 720-1080p videos directly from my television. Particularly the feature-length movies. Though I've come to the conclusion that I suspect each time anyone opts to skip their ads, they just come more frequently and for a longer duration. A kind of "Whack-a-Mole" experience.

Worse still is that I find the volume of ads are far beyond the presentation I want to watch, so inevitably I just put the ads on mute anyways. So for me, any chance of an ad being heard is unlikely at the least.

Last edited:
I have adblocker, and I see a sudden ridiculous amount of ads that you can't skip on Youtube. It started at the same exact moment that my facebook finally switched to "New Facebook" permanently.

I suspect this is an "internet wide" change that all different Silicon Valley companies are implementing at once. Because I've noticed sudden, drastic changes at Facebook, Twitter, Google, Adobe, Microsoft, and Youtube. Everything from changes in service, to appearance, to strict censorship.

Youtubers make money every time someone watches an ad all the way through without skipping. Youtube corporate probably gets a chunk of that money too.

Ah yes, can't skip ads, forces people to watch the whole thing so they get their moony.

All that does is piss people off and maybe they will abandon the video all together or abandon the channel all together when youtubers pull that stuff.

I know from online experience you can't force people to do things or people get mad no matter how small the demand is.

I have an ad blocker. Most of the time it catches the ads and there's no more than a blip. Sometimes I get a skip this ad button and I always click it. No big deal. Occasionally it will force me to watch 4 seconds of the ad before I can click skip. That's a little more irritating. Still, it's no more irritating than when the video goes to buffering. Depending on the time of day that can happen several times in a half-hour video.

The "sponsored by" blurbs are no problem either. I grab the progress indicator and slide it over. There's a little thumbnail that pops up and I keep going until I'm at the end or just past the sponsor message. I attribute the sudden spike in ads to the approaching national election. I'm getting hammered with political campaign ads that I have no interest in.

I think anger over ads shows a lack of thought. YouTube costs money to operate. If they want to make more money, it's up to them. No obligation for a private company to run a not-for-profit service for my benefit. The ads will dissipate when the crazy season is over.

YouTube video content providers also need money. I have no complaint if they have a sponsor. Some of the better tubers have a problem with getting demonetized for politically incorrect posts or bogus copyright claims.

Recently I was watching a one-hour television show. During the commercial breaks, I went to watch the latest episode of Re: Zero. That's 27 minutes less a few minutes for the opening and closing which I always skip. I finished the anime before the TV show. That's how much advertising you get on regular television.

Last edited:
Another thing about youtube I do not like that is not on topic but I hate intro openings. I have seen it and it gets old so I just skip it. I wish there was add on extensions for intro blockers.

I just wish I could get the "technical lowdown"of how such things work, but I suspect they're all protected by airtight non-disclosure agreements. Something I had to deal with personally when working for a major Silicon Valley player in the late 90s.

Ah, this also brings up another bit of advice for everyone:

Dont just get adblocker. Also get Sponsor Block. You know those REALLY irritating sorts of "ads"? The ones that arent really ads, but are instead the Youtuber themselves talking inanely about some stupid product because that video is sponsored somehow by them? So that normal adblockers cant catch it? Sponsor Block skips that crap for you. When you hit that point in a video, it just pops to the end of that segment instantly so you dont have to deal with it. Recent versions of the program also skip things like the whole "okay before we get to the parts you care about, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND BLAHBLAH". It works based off of data submitted by users. That's how it knows where those sections are.

Been using it for awhile now myself. It is great.
Personally, I actually like those, it was like they were reminding me I wasn't watching an actual ad. (Or at least it was like that before the ads came back with a vengeance. :rolleyes:)

New Threads

Top Bottom