• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Body Image Issues?

Which of the following have you had a history with:

• Anorexia or any kind of caloric restriction

• Bulimia or bulimic like behaviours

• Muscle dysmorphia (preocupation with muscles)

• Exercise addiction

• Other (please leave a comment)

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Umm. Tough one.
I've been tall and skinny most of my life, and very self-conscious because of people repeatedly telling me that real women had curves, etc. The fact that I could eat hefty amounts didn't help, as it seemed the entire school was determined to prove I had an eating disorder, to the point I just gave up going to the bathroom at school altogether (pro tip for anyone yearning to develop UTIs, here). College wasn't much better. So I never really liked my upper body, and especially not my arms from being told I looked like a corpse all the time (I'm not even that skinny, but I do have overly thin joints), but I was used to it, sort of.
And then I was misdiagnosed, in typical female Aspie fashion, and put on medication that I should never have been given in the first place. Put on 13 kg/29 lbs in hardly more than a month, without even eating that much more than usual. I didn't recognize myself, and I definitely hated what I was seeing in the mirror. That started dysmorphophobia that I've still not conquered 6 years later, and that I could have done without. It took me about 2 years to return to my usual weight (which I need to maintain in the lower range for other health reason), and even though I know I'm pretty much liked I used to again, it's just not what I see anymore. So I had an additional 2 years after that that I spent killing the habit of monitoring my food intake. I'm glad I'm not starving myself anymore, but I do have a lingering fear of putting on too much weight that I'd never had before the medication 6 years ago. Ironically, back then, all I wanted was to put a little meat on my bones.

Umm. Tough one.
I've been tall and skinny most of my life, and very self-conscious because of people repeatedly telling me that real women had curves, etc. The fact that I could eat hefty amounts didn't help, as it seemed the entire school was determined to prove I had an eating disorder, to the point I just gave up going to the bathroom at school altogether (pro tip for anyone yearning to develop UTIs, here). College wasn't much better. So I never really liked my upper body, and especially not my arms from being told I looked like a corpse all the time (I'm not even that skinny, but I do have overly thin joints), but I was used to it, sort of.
And then I was misdiagnosed, in typical female Aspie fashion, and put on medication that I should never have been given in the first place. Put on 13 kg/29 lbs in hardly more than a month, without even eating that much more than usual. I didn't recognize myself, and I definitely hated what I was seeing in the mirror. That started dysmorphophobia that I've still not conquered 6 years later, and that I could have done without. It took me about 2 years to return to my usual weight (which I need to maintain in the lower range for other health reason), and even though I know I'm pretty much liked I used to again, it's just not what I see anymore. So I had an additional 2 years after that that I spent killing the habit of monitoring my food intake. I'm glad I'm not starving myself anymore, but I do have a lingering fear of putting on too much weight that I'd never had before the medication 6 years ago. Ironically, back then, all I wanted was to put a little meat on my bones.
Ive had the same experience with medication in the past, I could not for the life of me get below 185lbs no matter how much i moved and how little i ate, once i stopped taking it 25lbs literally melted off me in three and a half months. Funny story, just goes to show grass isnt always greener.

I'm quite the opposite actually, I just keep eating. I really don't care what I look like, though I would probably be better off if I did a little bit.

I was anorexic and then bulimic for some time during my teen years. Thank goodness I stopped. Now I just focus on moderation when I eat. I don't worry about weight that much anymore.

I was anorexic and then bulimic for some time during my teen years. Thank goodness I stopped. Now I just focus on moderation when I eat. I don't worry about weight that much anymore.
Ive had trouble with those things as well, theyre tough habits to beat, glad you're doing better :)

I've never had an eating disorder, other than trouble eating soft fat in meat...

When I saw the topic, the first thing I thought of? I've always thought that my arms look too skinny and have never worn a muscle shirt, I've always been a t-shirt guy... I've jokingly told a friend that some people "shouldn't" wear a muscle shirt, that would be me... And for some reason I rarely wear shorts, even on hot summer days, not entirely sure why...

Because I don't have big muscles, I sometimes feel inferior as a male, comparing again...

Yet I generally have a positive image of myself, I have my own style that doesn't exactly blend into the crowd... Long hair, depending on the day either in a ponytail or not, a fairly long beard, when in public always wearing a hat, either fedora style, sometimes a cowboy hat, I have my pick of 12 different hats, some quite fancy and some more plain jane... To me that is positive body image, or is it just me trying to cover over what I think are my other flaws? Thinking aloud here now...

It has just occurred to me that this might be the wrong thread to discuss specific excercise as excercise addiction is one of the topics up for discussion and I don't want to trigger anybody. I sent my reply privately. Thanks for the advice!

I've never had an eating disorder, other than trouble eating soft fat in meat...

When I saw the topic, the first thing I thought of? I've always thought that my arms look too skinny and have never worn a muscle shirt, I've always been a t-shirt guy... I've jokingly told a friend that some people "shouldn't" wear a muscle shirt, that would be me... And for some reason I rarely wear shorts, even on hot summer days, not entirely sure why...

Because I don't have big muscles, I sometimes feel inferior as a male, comparing again...

Yet I generally have a positive image of myself, I have my own style that doesn't exactly blend into the crowd... Long hair, depending on the day either in a ponytail or not, a fairly long beard, when in public always wearing a hat, either fedora style, sometimes a cowboy hat, I have my pick of 12 different hats, some quite fancy and some more plain jane... To me that is positive body image, or is it just me trying to cover over what I think are my other flaws? Thinking aloud here now...
Some people should never wear muscle shirts, myself included, not unless you look like a fitness model. actually nobody should, theyre kinda tacky, lol. I usually wear long sleeve shirts myself. Id like to get myself some compression long sleeve shirts for the summer, all the regular cotton shirts are too baggy, even though im probably over 170lbs now..

I find in the UK now many long sleeve shirts are of the tailored fit variety and whilst I am by no means fat [5'10" - 164lbs] I would have to go up a collar size or maybe two for the rest of the shirt to fit properly. I have way too many shirts though so it's not really a problem.:)

I find in the UK now many long sleeve shirts are of the tailored fit variety and whilst I am by no means fat [5'10" - 164lbs] I would have to go up a collar size or maybe two for the rest of the shirt to fit properly. I have way too many shirts though so it's not really a problem.:)
Im considering learning how to sew, because i can never find a shirt that fits to my liking, ever. Then I can tailor my shirts, I am obsessed with how my clothes fit, I hate looking boxy or frumpy in my clothes. >:/

It has just occurred to me that this might be the wrong thread to discuss specific excercise as excercise addiction is one of the topics up for discussion and I don't want to trigger anybody. I sent my reply privately. Thanks for the advice!
Thats probably a good point, lol. My mind gets so scattered when I start a thread..

Im considering learning how to sew, because i can never find a shirt that fits to my liking, ever. Then I can tailor my shirts, I am obsessed with how my clothes fit, I hate looking boxy or frumpy in my clothes. >:/

Good idea - maybe I should give it a go so that when I get fed up with some of mine I can make like a Frankenshirt of various bits of all the others.

I would love that. I nearly mugged someone the other day for their snowboarding coat lol. Big fan of the multicoloured attire.

I would love that. I nearly mugged someone the other day for their snowboarding coat lol. Big fan of the multicoloured attire.
One time I tried to get out with a guy who owned a Canada Goose jacket, just cause he had one.... ^^ I should rename this topic taste in clothes...

One time I tried to get out with a guy who owned a Canada Goose jacket, just cause he had one.... ^^ I should rename this topic taste in clothes...

Yes it seems to have morphed that way. I get quite distracted by certain clothes particularly if there is any orange involved. I need to keep clear of building sites and hi-viz vests for my own safety.:)

When I was 13, I didn't like the way I looked in the mirror. Nobody has called me fat before, except my mind. So, I decided to start exercising, but I continued to eat junk food. Few months past, I went from 122 to 115 (I'm 5'2). Then in December, I had tonsillitis, I could barely eat the most simplest things for a week, like yogurt.
115 to 107. In January, I started to count calories. I kept telling myself that I will eat normally again when I reached 100lbs. Indeed, I reached my goal, but I asked myself, "What if I reached 95?".
My weight continued to drop. I tried to eat normally again but I couldn't. Everyday I would wake up and get a piece of paper, and right down when I was going to eat, what, and how many calories it was.
I thought I didn't deserved food.

It got to the point where I was eating 200 calories per day and finally reached to 73 pounds. I could barely move around. My hands would lock up, each time I would walk, my knees would lock up and make a grinding noise. My face was thin, Shoulder bones, hip bones, thigh gap, spine.
I couldn't go to a eating disorder clinic because where I live, they only accept 18+. My mom wouldn't send my to the hospital, because of the environment, and also she had to leave me there with a bunch of strangers.
Then, my mind started getting positive thoughts. "I want to gain weight". I was miserable all the time. But yet still actually enjoyed counting calories and putting restrictions and rules on myself. It made me feel in control.
Today, I'm somewhere around 130lbs. I'm trying to lose weight again, but in a healthier way. I still get those moments where I feel 'fat'. Many people don't really know what feeling fat means. They say there's no such thing as feeling fat. But they don't know unless they've been through anorexia.

Gee, sorry for the long post. :oops:

I used to be addicted to running. It was good for my head as well as my body. Until my knee started complaining and I had to give it up.
I wish some other form of exercise held the same appeal but nothing ever has. Everything else just seems like hard work and I get motivated for a little while then the novelty wears off.
I wish I could find a suitable replacement!

i had the body issues banned from my head. they do nothing but create trouble for me, and they are never useful.

until i realized that i am overweight. now, i want to lose 50ish pounds, if only for health reasons. so i created one to help motivate me. it was successful.... in preventing more weight gain, so far.

I used to be addicted to running. It was good for my head as well as my body. Until my knee started complaining and I had to give it up.
I wish some other form of exercise held the same appeal but nothing ever has. Everything else just seems like hard work and I get motivated for a little while then the novelty wears off.
I wish I could find a suitable replacement!
swimming is supposed to be the safest for joints along with walking

New Threads

Top Bottom