• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Body Image Issues?

Which of the following have you had a history with:

• Anorexia or any kind of caloric restriction

• Bulimia or bulimic like behaviours

• Muscle dysmorphia (preocupation with muscles)

• Exercise addiction

• Other (please leave a comment)

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
swimming is supposed to be the safest for joints along with walking
Yes I know..... but I hate swimming!
I do walk my dogs about 3klm every day but that has nowhere near the same benefit as running for 45 minutes and you don't get the endorphin hit either. Running was so good for depression. Plus I used to compete in running as well. I tried cycling but I just can't get into that either. Believe me I've tried to find a replacement but nothing really does it for me.

I have major body issues, hate my big man arms, big boobs, no bum, fat belly, moles on my face, curly hair, crooked teeth, squishy thighs, pointy nose, impossible eyebrows...geez i could go on lol.... But boobs are my main problem.... They grew huge at age 11 and i got teased and ridiculed at school for it. Its hard to find clothing, swimwear, bras that fit. No exercise, diet or pills make them shrink. I had breast reduction surgery when they reached a J cup but they grew back, now im upto F and they better not grow any more grrrrrr... I used to punch them and bruise them up so bad when i was a teenager and sleep on them (hoping to stop them from growing) i wore 2 tight bras to school to make them look smaller. They kill my back, neck and shoulders, cant ride horses anymore, everybody stares..and its just plain uncomfortable... Complete hell.... I still hate them but try not to let it get to me too much. Guess ill save up for another $7000 painful reduction, thats my only choice.

I was anorexic in my teens, but I'm hesitant to connect it to being on the spectrum, even if there may be a link in some cases. My mother hounded me about my weight from such an early age in such a vile and constant way that it would have been surprising if someone, whether on the spectrum or NT, who was subjected to that kind of treatment had not developed an eating disorder.

Interesting aside: when I look at photos of myself from before I developed anorexia, I look healthy and totally normal.

I no longer have body image issues or, rather, not extreme or critical ones. I've been around healthier people than my family of origin for long enough now.

I'm only a little self conscious about my appearance. No one has really ever made fun of me for how I look. Its what I do or say (or don't say) that gets me in most my messes. I suck at face to face communication when in an unfamiliar settings. I'm more worried about my actions, or body movements, and if I am getting tired I get totally fearful of Tourettes (thats when it gets to show its ugly side).

So yes, I have deep "Image" issues but more on the controlling things to not appear to be some freak. Its not even about "acting normal" as it is to just fly under the radar and not let someone sense that I'm sort of messed up on some things.

Like going into WalMart (gag)... I instantly start getting shaky feeling and sort of sick inside. I hear the lights. I hear the buzzers and beeps, and all these people... Some are getting too close, they wont give me room to breathe. Things get blurry, all these mass of sounds just run together into this awful roar. Its hell for me. On the very few times I do go there when I get back to the truck... Sometimes I just kind of wilt for a little bit. I don't know what it is about those stores but they are like torture chambers.

Its not that I cant do it... Its that I get so close to feeling out of control in these instances I just sort of picture myself freaking out and worry that people can possibly notice it, but so far I think I hide it well.

I totally understand the paranoia about body movements. :( I was always mocked about the way I walked. I was too slow. Too clumsy. Too unaware of space. I dragged my feet. Everyone had something to say about it. Now I feel uncomfortable when someone is behind me because of this, because maybe they're looking at my feet and judging me. :(

My mom was really ****** about body stuff when i was younger, and im trans, and being jiggly is sensory hell, and i think counting calories gives me some sort of structure/routine since i cant seem to keep my life together enough to follow any other routine.
Seriously, when i was 11 and 12 whenever she saw me eating chips or rice or pasta shed say “you know thats okay now but itll catch up to you when you become a teenager” Then again at 16 and 18. Like sorry you got fat (at age 35, so not even the same situation) but you dont gotta ruin my life because of it.

I used to be addicted to running. It was good for my head as well as my body. Until my knee started complaining and I had to give it up.
I wish some other form of exercise held the same appeal but nothing ever has. Everything else just seems like hard work and I get motivated for a little while then the novelty wears off.
I wish I could find a suitable replacement!
What distance @Fitzo? I am envious in a good way. :)
One of my bikes is set up on a stand indoors. With headphones on cranking out a playlist I made, and a bottle of cold water at hand, I can workout as long as I want.
I think after an hour or so I get some endorphin payoff.

Last edited:
What distance @Fitzo? I am envious in a good way. :)
One of my bikes is set up on a stand indoors. With headphones on cranking out a playlist I made, and a bottle of cold water at hand, I can workout as long as I want.
I think after an hour or so I get some endorphin payoff.
I used to run half marathons and used to usually do about 15 to 18 klms in training. I also used to compete in shorter fun runs around 10 or 12 klms.

Oh how I wish bike riding held the same appeal as it's much more gentle on the body, but I just couldn't get into it! :(

New Threads

Top Bottom