• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bisexuality, particularly in females, and personal privacy

Myrtonos

I understand that a lot of AS women are bisexual and even that aside, bisexuality is more common in women than in men.
Is it the case than many female posters here identify as bisexual, and even if not, do any of the female poster here, in spite of AS still do things together with other women that one might not expect from a "platonic" relationship?

Bisexuality is more common for 2 reasons i think.
1st being that science shows that a womans sexuality is a bit more fluid and can change.
2nd and a very important one is that socially it is more acceptable for a woman to be bisexual than it is for a man. it would not surprise me if there were more men who were bisexual than their appears to be out of the social stigma associated with it

in general, lately bisexuals have been getting a little bit of hate (in certain communities) over if they exist, if they make good partners, or if they are just people in denial. sadly this kinda hate can also skew where numbers come out.

in the end though i do think i have noticed people with more aspie tendencies to be bisexual or in general just less concerned with sexuality and its labels, i am not 100% sure what would cause this, my 2 main guesses would be that studies have pointed out that autisim disorders tend to show a higher amount of T in the womb pre birth, so it may be a hormonal thing, also people with autism spectrum tend to have different sex lives than NT making the nature of a bisexual relationship different.

in general though we dont actually know what causes sexuality, and while we have ideas there is no real defined way to know for sure

Bisexuality is more common for 2 reasons i think.
1st being that science shows that a womans sexuality is a bit more fluid and can change.
2nd and a very important one is that socially it is more acceptable for a woman to be bisexual than it is for a man. it would not surprise me if there were more men who were bisexual than their appears to be out of the social stigma associated with it.

But it is also more socially acceptable for women to sit closer together and touch each other too than it is for men.

But it is also more socially acceptable for women to sit closer together and touch each other too than it is for men.

this is true, take the nature of a very close platonic man on man relationship, usually called a bromance, usually described as a mildly homoerotic but platonic relationship. for girls though its just seen as BFFs with no connotation of it being homosexual.

women are also able to use the term GF to mean platonic good friend.

in my eyes what it really boils down to in that aspect is that sexuality seems more set and defined for men than it does women. guys are defined as gay even if they are bi while girls do have atleast to some degree more leniency on the bisexual label.
i do wonder if this social stigma did not exist what the numbers would show

I understand that a lot of AS women are bisexual and even that aside, bisexuality is more common in women than in men.
Is it the case than many female posters here identify as bisexual, and even if not, do any of the female poster here, in spite of AS still do things together with other women that one might not expect from a "platonic" relationship?
I don't think it's more common among women. I think women are more likely to accept their "nontraditional" sexuality.
I haven't had a new female (well male either :D ) friend since getting married (for about 11 years). Then last year I met a woman and we became friends. I think it's possible to be friends with the same or opposite gender (depending in your sexuality), you just need to make a decision to set boundaries (whichever your bounaries are) and learn how to appreciate all the nice things about simple friendship. I do think it's easier when a woman is 100% (more or less) straight, but even if it's not so, it's possible to remain just friends.

Now when I read the original post one more time, I hope my response is adequate. :)

So how come women are more likely to admire each other's beauty. Women seem to have on average fewer bounderies among themselves than men.

So how come women are more likely to admire each other's beauty. Women seem to have on average fewer bounderies among themselves than men.
I think it depends on culture and upbringing. Men might pay less attention to appearances... some... maybe. I also think that lots of men can find another man handsome, but they may never tell you that :) I've met some men who can openly tell you that they find somebody of their gender handsome or attractive, does that make them most likely to be gay or bisexual? Not sure. The same goes for women. As for boundaries... also depends on culture and upbringing... if we disregard... let's say neurological conditions, like Autism, where you may have boundaries with the whole world regardless sexuality :)

I've posted a video about the upcoming TV show "My husband is not gay" I know it may be not good discrimination wise, but I'm sure a lot of gays may be laughing their a** off at the "not gay" part :) anyway in the video 3 people talk about sexuality in general, and I can say that I agree with what they're saying (it is in "how do you react to being discriminated?" thread.

I myself could never find someone of the same sex attractive, at least not in the way you describe. But note the higher incidence of women appearing to be bisexual seems to apply even to women who don't fit most other gender stereotypes.

I myself could never find someone of the same sex attractive, at least not in the way you describe. But note the higher incidence of women appearing to be bisexual seems to apply even to women who don't fit most other gender stereotypes.
I think there's a difference between finding somebody sexuality attractive and visually attractive. But, in the end, I'm just expressing my opinion based on my personal experience, and it is just an opinion. I have no way knowing 100% and so far there's no (I believe) valid research and prove or disprove what I'm saying :)

New Threads

Top Bottom