• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Beware non-evidence-based treatments

There's a guy on wrong planet who's trying to get us to try his home made treatment for his self diagnosed autism, which consists of probiotic suppositories and enemas. He's perplexed why no one wants to try it.

His sig line is: "You think I’m crazy for doing what I do & I think you’re crazy for not doing it. Sounds like we’re even."

Last edited:
I like the 'Keep away from fire' warning.

FormerlySnakeOil.jpg

Legend has it that whiskey is a viable cure for many ailments. I can't verify any of those claims...not yet, but one thing I can verify is after enough of the stuff you won't be feeling a thing. ;)

How we went from that to bleach enemas being shoved up rectums is beyond my comprehension. There really is no limit to human stupidity.

I am thinking of doing a GFCF diet! My psych nurse NP supports it. In fact, she highly recommends it. She has an autistic brother and has Celiac's and autistic traits herself, so I would think she knows.

Even if it doesn't cure my autism (I know it won't) I'd probably be less bloated and gassy after eating, and it would be less likely for me to put back on the weight I had lost.

To be honest, however, it would be hard for me to say no to swimming with trained dolphins, even though I'd be a little nervous about them wanting to get "romantic" with me.

Well now, I feel inspired to create my own alternative therapy.

Wolf Spider Therapist (WST) - Tell them all about your illnesses and troubles. But quickly, because at some point, sooner rather then later, they will sting to immobilize you and then suck all your fluids out.

hairy-jumping-spider-flickr-thomas-shahan.jpg

Last edited:
Well now, I feel inspired to create my own alternative therapy.

Wolf Spider Therapy (WST) - Tell them all about your illnesses and troubles. But quickly, because at some point, sooner rather then later, they will sting to immobilize you and then suck all your fluids out.

View attachment 47832

Bot_log: Tom, Today at 10:25 AM
Extract_post(last_post,Beware non-evidence-based treatments);

WST coming to a front page article in a goggle search near you!

I am thinking of doing a GFCF diet! My psych nurse NP supports it. In fact, she highly recommends it. She has an autistic brother and has Celiac's and autistic traits herself, so I would think she knows.

Even if it doesn't cure my autism (I know it won't) I'd probably be less bloated and gassy after eating, and it would be less likely for me to put back on the weight I had lost.
Actually, don't. Gluten is a necessary part of your body's function, since that is what sugar comes from. Intentionally putting too little of it into your body via food if you're not gluten-intolerant can screw up the balance in nutrients, and it was claimed to be effective by Autism Speaks, which is declared to be a hate group. Heck, none of the doctors I've visited ever recommended gluten free diets for me. Your doctors' office might be getting paid to say so by Autism Speaks, so she's probably spewing complete BS because it's basically her job to do so. Get a new doc. Do some research before blowing cash on useless treatments.

Sorry if i ruin your hopes, but you cannot cure brain damage by anything or brain that developed incorrectly due error in genes.

All you can do is adopt and learn to coupe with it.

Actually, don't. Gluten is a necessary part of your body's function, since that is what sugar comes from. Intentionally putting too little of it into your body via food if you're not gluten-intolerant can screw up the balance in nutrients, and it was claimed to be effective by Autism Speaks, which is declared to be a hate group. Heck, none of the doctors I've visited ever recommended gluten free diets for me. Your doctors' office might be getting paid to say so by Autism Speaks, so she's probably spewing complete BS because it's basically her job to do so. Get a new doc. Do some research before blowing cash on useless treatments.

I have some type of an issue with dairy already, actually. For sure. I get gassy when I eat wheat/gluten. And CARBS turn into sugar, not Gluten. There are other, non-gluten carbs that you can eat. Mainly stuff like rice, potatoes, and quinoa. Those still turn into sugar when you eat them (in acceptable moderation) so you wouldn't be completely eliminating a food group. The only thing you'd have to "eliminate" is pasta, and really you don't have to. Barilla and other brands offer Gluten-free pasta.

I'm not saying it's for everyone and I haven't adhered to it yet. But as an autistic woman who has suffered from *gasp* chronic constipation, and that being the ONLY control group that has ever shown improvement, I'd prefer it over Miralax anytime. And, yes the clinic I go to supports AutismSpeaks. However, I much, much, prefer that clinic over the ones that falsely accuse me of having bipolar disorder.

P.S. I'm not intending to be rude or step on anyone's toes. I just joined this forum and I like it. But I also know my own body better than strangers on the internet. What we can agree on is that GFCF diets ARE NOT for everyone. And with autism, especially, younger kids who are resistant eaters shouldn't be put on it because then they won't eat. It was intended for celiac's. I don't buy into the "leaky gut" crap, though.

@CoffeeCat777

It's entirely possible that you would feel much better
not eating dairy or wheat items.

I am allergic to cow milk.
It does bad things to me.
Confusion, chills, runny nose, emotional reaction.

Wheat is sometimes a problem, for me.
But oddly enough, not gluten.

I don't use cow milk at all any more.
I don't feel the need to be cruel to myself.

@CoffeeCat777

It's entirely possible that you would feel much better
not eating dairy or wheat items.

I am allergic to cow milk.
It does bad things to me.
Confusion, chills, runny nose, emotional reaction.

Wheat is sometimes a problem, for me.
But oddly enough, not gluten.

I don't use cow milk at all any more.
I don't feel the need to be cruel to myself.

I've been cheating lately with cow's milk but in general, anything except almond gives me a negative reaction (gas, bloating, nausea, reflux, diarrhea, constipation) even soy, which gives me heartburn.

Usually I suffer when I do this, but I'm on SSI disability in the US, living with my parents, and I've had to put forward some money towards clothes, classes and digital services as of late, so I've been piggybacking off my parents for groceries again. At one point I even tried vegan, and had groceries delivered. Now, despite knowing better, I'm back to eating Mom's spaghetti and meatballs, take-out, and other things I had given up, even though I had felt much better on a diet of mostly fish, broccoli, and white rice.

Since I also recently lost 40-50 lbs after a year-long binge where I had gotten really unhealthy with too much food, drink, and meds, I have to be extra careful not to put the weight back on. I had serious health problems at my previous weight. and suffered from "prolactin boobs" on a too-high dose of Risperdal.

My slip-ups have been more frequent now that I was forcibly hospitalized and put back on meds in August. I had very little appetite off my meds and it had been easy to get and stay thin, as I saw food as a way to live and not a means of pleasure.

Now, I have been enjoying the stimmy feelings of having something in my mouth again and I've thankfully only put back 5-7 pounds or so, but I sometimes feel guilty knowing I am damaging my body.

I also know that the coffee which I won't give up is damaging. It gives me the poops but it also takes away some of the lethargic feelings I get with the once-again mandatory meds.

Don't go to Costa Rica or China to get stem cell therapy to cure my autism.

This should really be a GI Joe PSA.

I have some type of an issue with dairy already, actually. For sure. I get gassy when I eat wheat/gluten. And CARBS turn into sugar, not Gluten. There are other, non-gluten carbs that you can eat. Mainly stuff like rice, potatoes, and quinoa. Those still turn into sugar when you eat them (in acceptable moderation) so you wouldn't be completely eliminating a food group. The only thing you'd have to "eliminate" is pasta, and really you don't have to. Barilla and other brands offer Gluten-free pasta.

I'm not saying it's for everyone and I haven't adhered to it yet. But as an autistic woman who has suffered from *gasp* chronic constipation, and that being the ONLY control group that has ever shown improvement, I'd prefer it over Miralax anytime. And, yes the clinic I go to supports AutismSpeaks. However, I much, much, prefer that clinic over the ones that falsely accuse me of having bipolar disorder.

P.S. I'm not intending to be rude or step on anyone's toes. I just joined this forum and I like it. But I also know my own body better than strangers on the internet. What we can agree on is that GFCF diets ARE NOT for everyone. And with autism, especially, younger kids who are resistant eaters shouldn't be put on it because then they won't eat. It was intended for celiac's. I don't buy into the "leaky gut" crap, though.
I also have constipation issues, and I use Miralax. It is much cheaper than a diet, and a ton more effective. Also, yes. The crackpot theory of the mother's gut being unhealthy during pregnancy causing autism is complete bullcrap. I know that Miralax may not work as well as some people, but it's ability to dissolve until almost completely invisible in nearly every liquid, milk and water included, along with it's price, most likely contributes to why it's one of the best non-prescription choices out there. Also, those other clinics aren't accusing you of anything, they're probably more professional and more independently-owned than the one that supports Autism Speaks, meaning they can get more factual information that would go against Autism Speaks' myths without fears of possible financial loss. They're probably trying to give a reasonable diagnoses based off your answers to their questions. It's not an accusation, it's just the docs doing there job, and well. Getting diagnosed for any possible mental health issues could possibly lead to disaster further on in your life. They know what they're doing.

Also approach Evidence-Based treatments cautiously, because:

1) The placebo affect is well-documented and can produce evidence of effective treatment.

2) Studies get invalidated all the time.

3) Studies often identify correlation without explaining causation. If A and B are correlated, it may be that A causes B, B causes A, or some unknown C causes both A and B. For example, one study showed that people who regularly do crosswords have a lower chance of senility. This doesn't tell us if a) doing crosswords keeps you from going senile, b) People who go senile stop doing crosswords, or c) People with some genetic resistance to senility also have a genetic predisposition toward crosswords.

How about a study of High Fructose Corn Syrup it was bad then they scrapped that made another study and second research showed it does not harm, do you see any commercial bias in here? Hint high fructose corn syrup is in every product now days as cheap sugar alternative.

Couple silly commercials and everyone convinced its fine to eat that junk.

Point is in capitalist countries "research" is driven by money not science, if someone wants to sell this product they sponsor "research" and they will make it so that results shows that product is good.
If you don't be more suspicious you be just consuming food or medicine that kills you slowly.

There is also a pressure if someone research say side effects of "genetically modified food on mice" no company or government give them money to do so and if they do it on their own they can kiss they career and reputation goodbye. There's tons of pressure on science to keep it from affecting commerce.

Fact in US drug industry has biggest and most wealthiest one, guess who is going to suppress all alternative treatments, if people stop being sick no one will buy drugs so its not wise for them to make people healthy just address symptoms that works like charm they can do it for a lifetime of person.

Last edited:
A kid in one of the kindergartens classes I've worked in went to Panama for stem cell therapy for his autism. I saw absolutely no difference in him when he came back. Pretty much every teacher that knew him thought the therapy would be a waste of time or make things worse. I wish I had been in a position to convince his parents not to go.

New Threads

Top Bottom