• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being a bisexual Aspie

Tyler Ford

Hey guys. I never told anyone here this but I am bisexual and afraid I'll never have a stable relationship with anyone. :/ I've tried that already but it seems like I get taken advantage of every time. I know I'm 17 but I think I'm just obsessed with having a relationship.

You're quite young. If you're afraid of never being able to have a stable relationship, then I'd work on that issue first. Then you can worry about the details of an actual relationship.

Well, I know I'm young. I know that being alone is of vital importance but I don't like being alone all the time. I know it's contradictory.

Yes, very, very few people like complete solitude. Try to find some hobbies to keep your mind occupied.

Well, music keeps me occupied most of the time. I love anything that has to do with music and technology.

I do hope you understand that being with someone is more than just not liking to be alone all the time... there's more to it if you're in a relationship.

It would seem that some people either have high expectations of their partners and want them to have time at any given moment, while others can't comprehend the time one needs to invest (and might even struggle to find a good balance between relationship and work/school)

I know there's more to it than that. I don't use anyone. Sorry if I came across like that but I try my best to show the other person love, compassion, kindness, and happiness and all I get in return is being **** on. And yeah, I do struggle to find the equilibrium between school and working a job though. I work at Habitat for Humanity although it hasn't helped me communicate better, it has helped me to know that there are still kind, compassionate people out there who will accept me as I am.

I was like that when I was your age and ended up marrying someone when I was 19 because I wanted so badly to have a stable relationship I could rely on. To make a long story short, it ended in a bitter and ugly divorce. I was obsessed with finding "the one", but once I got older I realized I was just simply frustrated with being misunderstood by everyone that I thought finding "the one" would fix all of my loneliness issues. Unfortunately it doesn't, as you seem to be approaching that point now after so many failed relationships. Loneliness is the hardest part of being on the spectrum I think, but it's good that you realize you're young because the fact is that you're only just starting to dip your toes into the pool that is yourself and all your peers are doing the same. So if you're looking for a stable and serious relationship it probably isn't going to happen at this point

If I could go back in time I would tell my teenage self to put that "perfect person" in the future and concentrate on finding myself so that I can truly be that perfect someone back. I would tell myself that this quest for "the one" is just a response to my loneliness and frustration with being misunderstood all the time but unfortunately there is no "quick fix" to loneliness, and unless you're whole and completely comfortable with yourself to the point that you can stand on your own comfortable, that perfect relationship will never come. Now that's not to say you should step out of the dating scene. This time is the time to test the waters and learn how to swim. It's a little easier if you go into a relationship understanding that it's going to be a learning lesson and that it will end at some point in time, but just enjoy what you have at the moment and start to learn your likes, dislikes, and priorities. Relationships are THE most difficult and challenging thing for us on the spectrum, and there will ever really only be one successful relationship in your life, all the other hundreds of relationships will be heartbreaks.

I know it's FAR easier said than done, but look at each hurt as a lesson. Also remember that no one is "perfect", so that "perfect one" is going to be the one who is willing to work through the hurt you cause them and vice versa to come out the other end together. And that's where this time in your life is handy, to figure out what hurts you're able to weather and which ones are completely unacceptable and intolerable. Get out there, have fun, and don't be afraid to get hurt, because all of it is necessary for the learning process.

Well, I guess you have a point to make there. I'm still young and yeah, being lonely is hard for us Aspies. I guess I can understand what you're saying. Maybe I shouldn't focus on the relationship aspect of my life. I guess I need to look forward to my studies and graduating from school.

I'm sort of curious if being bisexual a lot of times has to do with childhood misfortunes like coming across a pedophile or something :/ I was sexually active as a five and six year old and wonder if some sicko didn't cause that or not :(

I have never told much anybody this but I was sexually abused as a six year old. My cousin forced me to suck his cock so I would stop crying. I still cringe at that thought. He was 17 at the time. This incident happened 11 years ago and he still doesn't have it in his heart to even confess what he did. I told my family the truth and he is distancing myself. He probably didn't think I would tell the truth on him.

And nearly the same thing happened when I was 11... :/ It's not your fault, dude. My cousin should have just kept his distance from me and I'm glad he is now. I don't need a person like that in my life.

I'm sort of curious if being bisexual a lot of times has to do with childhood misfortunes like coming across a pedophile or something :/ I was sexually active as a five and six year old and wonder if some sicko didn't cause that or not :(

POSSIBLE TRIGGER [sexual abuse]
Sexual trauma can certainly have an effect on sexual desires and fantasies, many of which the victims feel guilty about. And those results can be unpredictable. I, fortunately, have never been the victim of sexual abuse, but I've heard enough interviews and read enough articles by those who have to realize that it does have such an effect...EXCEPT, I think, on one's sexual orientation. I've never heard of a straight person becoming homosexual/bisexual (or vice-versa) as a result of such abuse, at least as they can recall themselves.

I tend to be attracted to both sexes, depending on my mood at the time. I have felt that way since I was a child, with no abuse growing up in the sexual sense. So tend to fall under the pansexual catagory as I am attracted to everybody pretty much. Mike

Yeah, I figured I was bisexual when I was 13 but I didn't open up to my family until I was 15. My family didn't know I had Asperger's either until March of this past year... I was 16 then. I turned 17 almost three months ago.

New Threads

Top Bottom