• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Barber helps young autistic boy afraid of having his hair cut.

Mia

V.I.P Member
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/goo...-extraordinary-lengths-to-help-212731638.html

Barber goes the extra mile to help autistic boy with fear of haircuts

On November 3, British barber James Williams gave a very special haircut, which then made him an Internet sensation.

Williams is the proprietor of Jim the Trim, a barbershop in Port Talbot, UK. One of his clients, a little boy named Mason, was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, and Mason struggles with getting haircuts.

In a Facebook post, Williams writes of Mason:

mason who few months ago got diagnosed with asd, Jamie & denine got recommended to me , so over last few month I have been attempting to find different ways how to cut masons hair, he wouldn’t allow me to go near one of his ears he would run away on times if he wasn’t up to it

Accompanying the post were three images of Williams laying on the ground with scissors in hand, cutting Mason’s hair as the boy — also laying on the ground — plays with a mobile phone. The post continues:

But today I finally achieved it where we both layed on the floor in silence & he allowed me to cut away & give him his first proper haircut, again achieving something in a job I love making both parents happy by giving extra attention to mason by building a friendship at trust with mason & myself

What gave the finishing touch I asked for a high 5, he hugged me ✂]]>

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/goo...-extraordinary-lengths-to-help-212731638.html

Barber goes the extra mile to help autistic boy with fear of haircuts

On November 3, British barber James Williams gave a very special haircut, which then made him an Internet sensation.

Williams is the proprietor of Jim the Trim, a barbershop in Port Talbot, UK. One of his clients, a little boy named Mason, was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, and Mason struggles with getting haircuts.

In a Facebook post, Williams writes of Mason:

mason who few months ago got diagnosed with asd, Jamie & denine got recommended to me , so over last few month I have been attempting to find different ways how to cut masons hair, he wouldn’t allow me to go near one of his ears he would run away on times if he wasn’t up to it

Accompanying the post were three images of Williams laying on the ground with scissors in hand, cutting Mason’s hair as the boy — also laying on the ground — plays with a mobile phone. The post continues:

But today I finally achieved it where we both layed on the floor in silence & he allowed me to cut away & give him his first proper haircut, again achieving something in a job I love making both parents happy by giving extra attention to mason by building a friendship at trust with mason & myself

What gave the finishing touch I asked for a high 5, he hugged me ✂]]>

Wow! One NT treats one autistic decently, and the NTs scream with self-congratulation. Meanwhile we struggle every single day of our lives, and we get told we still aren't good enough. Sick to death of seeing this story. Ableism 101.

And he hugs the barber. Well done! You have learned to pass as NT. Now welcome to a lifetime of being congratulated when you deny your true nature and people-please till you are exhausted. How heartwarming when we autistics bend over backwards to please other people. I am unfollowing this site. You want to Uncle Tom, that's your problem. I am an autistic. I am not broken, heartwarming or an inspiration. This deluge of NT self-congratulation needs to stop. Now.

My oldest daughter and my nephew both have autism. I am happy when I read stories like this. I do not believe it is actually about the barber, but rather an example to others. Stories like this are important to share.

I think it's nice when people try to make others' lives better, however small the gesture. I didn't read it as being self-congratulatory. Take off your grumpy pants, the dude was just trying to make the kid's life a little more bearable.

"Ableism"??? "Uncle Tom-ing"??? REALLY? *Being autistic is no excuse for a nasty attitude towards someone that is only trying to help.* Do you even remember what it was like being a child? I do, and I had a horrible hatred/fear of haircuts! ( I have curly hair that often tangles, and haircuts are usually a bad experience for me, even as an adult. ) As a child, I would have killed for a barber who actually cared enough to go the extra mile, instead of being held down, and slapped/spanked, ( by my mother ), for not "being good".

I used to live down in the States - autistics there have it rough. There is very little protection, and often open discrimination towards individuals with autism. Personally, I think ANY kindness, or respect shown, ( to whomever, by whomever, for whatever reason ), is a good thing. There was no "self-congratulation" in the original post. It was simply a good story about a nice guy with a "can-do attitude". It was merely a good example of how a little bit of kindness can go such a long way, in such an often hostile world.

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Top Bottom