• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic woman removed from Cinema and called "retarded"

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Link.

I just read this and was like, WTH?! People were actually applauding as the woman was dragged from her seat!

She was called a retard and other insulting names by hecklers, how is this even legal?!

I've been attending Cineworld screenings as an Aspie for several years and have never had a problem, but I am not female.

Well, frankly I would be extremely irritated if I was at the cinema and someone was laughing loudly a lot so that was unable to follow or enjoy the film - Tamsin needs to realise that this will disturb other people. Also, she did provoke one of them - bad idea. However, the way they handled it was extreme, totally out of order and unnecessary! In fact, it is assault. There is no way this should ever happen - cinema staff should be better trained to deal with such issues in a fair and sensitive way.

Yeah, I saw this in the Guardian a few days back. It's good that a lot of people have stuck up for her, leaving and taking to social media about it.

People confuse disability with inconsideration. My argument is that if you're going to a public place you must be expecting to not get everything your way, just like how you're going to get people rustling with popcorn bags or people needing to go to the toilet.

But this does leave me in a difficult position because I should be preaching what I say as a people with Tourette's, I should feel like I should be allowed into a cinema and be feel to tic even ever. Fact is, I can't bring myself to ruin the experience for others if I can't hold by my tics.

Point to note: guy who used abusive speech was NOT removed!

Unfortunately, the worst thing she could have done, was bite back, which just inflames the moment and caused cruel language to be uttered.

Link.

I just read this and was like, WTH?! People were actually applauding as the woman was dragged from her seat!

She was called a retard and other insulting names by hecklers, how is this even legal?!

I've been attending Cineworld screenings as an Aspie for several years and have never had a problem, but I am not female.

Sadly, it takes two to make a confrontation. The old saying, "Choose your battles applies." The thing to do would have been to leave the theater cooperatively and then use the legal system to solve the problem. I was once ticketed for jaywalking in Arizona. The cop treated me as if I was the next Ted Bundy out to stalk, hunt, and kill. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere by fighting the problem on the street. Instead, I just remained calm and cooperative. In the days leading up to my court hearing, I made certain to have photographs of the entire area showing that there was no crosswalk within 200 yards in any direction. I also cited the exact law under the Arizona Revised Statutes. Not only was the charge dropped and the police officer publicly reprimanded in court, but the district judge asked if I wanted to file harassment charges against the police officer. I took the high ground and said no and that I believed the police officer learned a valuable lesson about appropriate police-citizen interactions.

Well I am always moaned at when watching movies or TV for talking, laughing Etc. and I also can't easily control the level of my voice since I'm often told I'm shouting when to myself I sound quiet. Personally I wouldn't risk going to the cinema unless it was an autism friendly screening, please click here for an example, it's excellent that the issue has been recognised by some companies at least. I find it extremely difficult to stay totally quiet and it's the same even if I'm watching something on my own, but if I'm with company I have a virtually uncontrollable urge to say something and I will normally say something without thinking, in fact even if I'm conscious of it, it's extremely difficult to control.

I will try to approach this from both sides and with as little bias as possible. The cinema is an extremely difficult situation because even if a person has a condition that is causing him/her to make sounds during a screening, they are still annoying lots of other paying customers, but on the other side they're being discriminated against and treated badly because of their condition, although in most situations the vast majority of people wouldn't take their condition into account or they wouldn't even recognise or understand it. People should obviously have a certain amount of extra tolerance when they realise a person has a condition, but then there's the question of whether an autistic person should have to announce their condition to the staff on arrival because understandably a lot of autistic people are uncomfortable doing this? Even if the staff are aware, the majority of the general public aren't likely to know and they can hardly announce that they've got an autistic person in the cinema to everyone and even if they did some people still wouldn't tolerate it. After the autistic women told people about her condition she was still treated with abuse and contempt by many people which really is unacceptable and really they should have been removed too, but imagine the uproar if the staff did this and also the autistic women would be outside at the same time as the people shouting abuse at her which could put her at risk under those circumstances.

So how can this situation be improved? Well having autistic friendly screenings is an excellent idea as long as they're done properly and advertised well.

How should an autistic person be dealt with when they're annoying other paying customers if they have attended a normal screening? This is a very difficult question because the staff could be pressured by hundreds of paying customers to remove the person and even if the staff do understand that the person is autistic they're still in an extremely difficult position. In my opinion it takes a lot of discretion and tact to deal with a situation like this, if I was a member of staff and was being inundated with complaints about an autistic person I would firstly attempt to take the autistic person aside into a private place if they were willing, this however may not be easy in itself if the autistic person then gets upset at being discriminated against, they will obviously know something is wrong when being asked to miss the movie and at worst they could even have a meltdown. This is where a lot tact is involved, I would attempt to approach it in a positive way by stating that I have something extra special for them, if there are autistic screenings available I would offer them a season pass to all autistic screenings so they can watch lots of movies on the house, but if there was no autistic screenings available I would still need to find something in compensation that more than makes up for missing the movie, perhaps an amazon voucher for considerably more than the cost of entry so they can watch movies freely online or similar.

What does the member of staff do if the autistic person simply refuses to budge no matter what even if they use the utmost of discretion and tact? This is the most difficult situation of all, at this stage the autistic person could be very upset, possibly having a meltdown and causing a scene where hundreds of paying customers are extremely annoyed, all putting severe pressure on the staff to remove the person. Unfortunately if all other methods have been tried it does in my opinion eventually get to the stage where a person will have to be forcibly removed even if they are autistic, this would need to be done by trained security, if there was none available (and there should be) then unfortunately the police would be required. The security or police would also need to use the utmost of discretion so they can use as little force as possible to get the autistic person to leave, compensation should still be offered to the autistic person however if possible.

People here may think I'm being harsh by saying that an autistic person causing a disruption should be removed, but in this situation if an autistic person who is upsetting lots of people doesn't get removed they could be put at risk even though it's wrong.

Last edited:
“am boisterous, loud, impetuous, friendly, talkative and outspoken.”

Here is my honest opinion:
No one in the dark theater knows about autism or cares - annoying distractions are just that- ANNOYING. It could be teenagers, Tourette’s, drunk sailors, deaf old people, of just rude people. People just wanna see the movie with no drama.

I cannot stand people making noise in libraries or movie theaters. I can’t stand the chewing of popcorn, slurping of soda, jiggling the box of candy, the cracking of cellophane wrappers, or the crunching of ice being chewed. I cannot stand cellphone screens blinding my eyes from some a-hole several seats down. I cannot stand whispering. I cannot stand people’s knees pushing into the back of my seat. I certainly detest it when babies cry in the theater. I seldom go to movies. When I go, it’s because I truly want to see a particular film. I really want to see it badly, and I try an go when the least amount of people are attending.

I am sorry, but my sensory issues would have been triggered by all her behaviors. I love that movie too and have seen it many dozens of times since the 1960s. It is a movie that needs quiet and reflection- not boisterous laughing. in the 30 plus times I have seen this movie, I can’t recall ONE time anyone in the theatre laughed. That alone would irked many people who love this movie.

I also would have been intensely annoyed from her initial repeated ranting of, “I am so excited!” Repeated over and over. I think I would have had to leave the theater, because she would have upset me so much. It doesn’t matter why she upset me. It matters only that she did. I would not have hung around to know more. It would not have lessened my anger to have it explained. It would have ruined my day. I am easily triggered by this kind of behavior. Again, to me, it would not have matter why that behavior was going on. I think I would not have been alone in these feelings. I can understand why some people were triggered and behave very badly.

If she has aspergers shouldn’t she know already that her reactions might annoy others????

Last edited:
“am boisterous, loud, impetuous, friendly, talkative and outspoken.”

Here is my honest opinion:
No one in the dark theater knows about autism or cares - annoying distractions are just that- ANNOYING. It could be teenagers, Tourette’s, drunk sailors, deaf old people, of just rude people. People just wanna see the movie with no drama.

I cannot stand people making noise in libraries or movie theaters. I can’t stand the chewing of popcorn, slurping of soda, jiggling the box of candy, the cracking of cellophane wrappers, or the crunching of ice being chewed. I cannot stand cellphone screens blinding my eyes from some a-hole several seats down. I cannot stand whispering. I cannot stand people’s knees pushing into the back of my seat. I certainly detest it when babies cry in the theater. I seldom go to movies. When I go, it’s because I truly want to see a particular film. I really want to see it badly, and I try an go when the least amount of people are attending.

I am sorry, but my sensory issues would have been triggered by all her behaviors. I love that movie too and have seen it many dozens of times since the 1960s. It is a movie that needs quiet and reflection- not boisterous laughing. in the 30 plus times I have seen this movie, I can’t recall ONE time anyone in the theatre laughed. That alone would irked many people who love this movie.

I also would have been intensely annoyed from her initial repeated ranting of, “I am so excited!” Repeated over and over. I think I would have had to leave the theater, because she would have upset me so much. It doesn’t matter why she upset me. It matters only that she did. I would not have hung around to know more. It would not have lessened my anger to have it explained. It would have ruined my day. I am easily triggered by this kind of behavior. Again, to me, it would not have matter why that behavior was going on. I think I would not have been alone in these feelings. I can understand why some people were triggered and behave very badly.

If she has aspergers shouldn’t she know already that her reactions might annoy others????
An autistic person with strong sensory issues and an autistic person who makes a lot of excess noise clashes, this is the case with my friend who I strongly suspect is autistic and myself (diagnosed ASD). He hates many noises and constantly complains about me when he's watching TV or when I raise my voice without realising, he also complains about numerous other noises, some I hate too like certain noises from neighbours and especially bass from music even if it's just a passing car, but he will also moan when I'm eating, shuffling around and many other things that make noise that don't bother me, in fact his sensory issues are one of his strongest traits, a lot stronger than with myself. We do clash a lot, but amazingly we have remained friends despite this for over 10 years so far, I am used to being moaned at and it just goes over my head and even though he gets annoyed and sometimes needs space, he still asks me back around a little later when he's back to normal.

Why don't theaters have different theaters for different watching styles. I need the volume lower and don't believe in eating while watching a film. Other people want to eat and chit chat. It's not all about ASD because NTs all have different preferences and needs as well. Should be like churches. Movie theaters that are quiet, quiet could be like the Friends version of a theater, just quiet could be Anglican, the loudest, most permissive could be kinda a Holy Roller style theater, a place where moving around, tics, random nose and chit chat could be free to happen and looked at as a positive.

Why don't theaters have different theaters for different watching styles. I need the volume lower and don't believe in eating while watching a film. Other people want to eat and chit chat. It's not all about ASD because NTs all have different preferences and needs as well. Should be like churches. Movie theaters that are quiet, quiet could be like the Friends version of a theater, just quiet could be Anglican, the loudest, most permissive could be kinda a Holy Roller style theater, a place where moving around, tics, random nose and chit chat could be free to happen and looked at as a positive.

CREATIVE IDEA! But just like “quiet” train cars, some people ignore rules. On quiet train cars there is always somebody hacking on cell loudly, or talking with somebody else. People in library’s nowadays do not stay quiet either.

Besides, movie theaters are a dying thing of the past. They could never afford to do that.

CREATIVE IDEA! But just like “quiet” train cars, some people ignore rules. On quiet train cars there is always somebody hacking on cell loudly, or talking with somebody else. People in library’s nowadays do not stay quiet either.

Besides, movie theaters are a dying thing of the past. They could never afford to do that.

Movie Theatres will never completely die off, unless they legalise downloading movies off the 'Net, which has almost NO chance of ever happening.

Movie Theatres will never completely die off, unless they legalise downloading movies off the 'Net, which has almost NO chance of ever happening.

The majority of movies theaters died a long time ago. Only the gigantic corporate owned theaters still thrive. Back when I was little movie theaters were absolutely everywhere- big and little ones, in every town. Bigger towns had dozens, and big cities had them on every block.

Won't happen.

Plus why should disabled movie goers/Aspies be segregated from NT/able bodied people?

Oh yeah, because of a few butt hurt Daily Fail readers who hate all disabled people.

Jesus wept, seriously.

Won't happen.

Plus why should disabled movie goers/Aspies be segregated from NT/able bodied people?

Oh yeah, because of a few butt hurt Daily Fail readers who hate all disabled people.

Jesus wept, seriously.

Disruptive behavior is just that regardless if one is rude, stupid, a crying baby, or disabled. Having Aspergers should mean she was AWARE of her disruptive behaviors-right? ( She is high functioning autism.)

People pay to see a movie. They want the peace and quiet of a dark theater to enjoy a classic movie- one with subtle nuances as the highly considered “art film” she went to see. I have seen this movie 30 times. No one else laughed in the theater...as it’s not a funny movie! Yet, she laughed a lot and thinks it is a funny movie. I can thoroughly see why the audience turned on her.

I tell you this, if MY disabilities disrupted other people, I would rent it and watch at home. I would DIE of shame to disrupt an entire theater like she did! Throw a party for your friends or whatever, but watch it at home. As a theater goer, Her irresponsible disruptive behaviors would have made me mad the rest of the day or even week...once I am triggered...I have a melt down.

People that have disability (I am legally “disabled” too) should try their best to not cause hate and anger against the rest of us. We all have enough daily problems.

Last edited:

Jesus wept, seriously.
@kay doesnt suggest that type of segregation, she simply suggest people with different movie watching styles should get to go to different type of viewings. That’s not segregation. I prefer sitting in the quiet train compartment because I like reading quietly. I’m there by choice and personal preference, not because of my being neurodiverse. How is that any different from offering “quiet” and “loud” movie screenings? And how is that bad?

Im French and on youyube sometimes i look at some audience reaction and it blows my mind how other people act in theaters , i mean sometimes they are so loud like wtf is wrong with them.

But honestly until i was 22 i had a very hard time not reactind and commenting movies, i never reacted like some american people but, i always felt the urge to say something about the movie to the people sitting next to me.
On some occasion it was fun to have me by your side but on more serious movie it could be annoying, some of my friends simply refused to watch the movie near me.

One day I realy pissed off my best friend with a live reaction, since then i learned how to control this urge and now I dont realy react loudly during a movie anymore , except a litte laught sometimes.

My father still does it thought , and as I learned to not do it, i am now less tolerant to this behaviour xD , this is weird.

I think we all should be tolerant to other to some degree, people wanting silence deserve it and i think this is more appropriate behaviour in a theater so we should all follow it.

But we should also calm down when someone doesnt act like we want them to, ask them politely.

Asperger isnt an excuse to not make any effort , now being this rude and this violent for a movie is realy bad aswell, but i can understand it because when i want silence in a theater I also get quickly pissed , we should learn to control it thought, on no circumstances this is the appropriate behaviour.

Won't happen.

Jesus wept, seriously.

I don't mean there to be any segregation. This idea is for the general public, all NDs and all NTs alike, because I know plenty of people who want different things from a theater. Half the NTs complain that theaters are too loud, some are serious about film viewing, some are just looking for a social outlook, ect... There is a local theater that has a complete menu, another that is small, quiet and nonprofit that I will sometimes go to(every few years to see a doc), one with an IMAX, some with local beer, ect... So, it's not a huge stretch to see theaters becoming more specialized the way churches are, with styles for everyone. And I also live in the Bible Belt so the church metaphor/simile/analogy or whatever(did I really get good grades in English?) is just an obvious choice for me to describe it.

No segregation at all. Just better options.

There used to be a yearly movie night in my city with back to back classic horror movies until dawn. Not only were people allowed to talk, yell, and scream, it was encouraged and advertised as the one night a year you could be as loud as you wanted. You were also allowed to bring alcohol into the theater. Funnily enough, those nights always went
off without a hitch- everyone seemed to enjoy commenting on the movies without actually being disruptive or causing a scene- and the rest of the year people were super considerate and quiet. I miss both things .

New Threads

Top Bottom