• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic traits?

Minion

I'd like to know...
First I got diagnosed with NVLD, then I got told it was "high functioning autistic traits". When I went for the assessment, I didn't talk too loud, get preoccupied with parts of an object, and my eye contact wasn't completely terrible, so I didn't qualify for the full diagnosis, according to the psychologist that diagnosed/tested me. I apparently met the rest of the criteria, though. There was also the fact that I have a psychotic disorder (Schizoaffective disorder), so I couldn't be diagnosed with full autism. It was a private psychologist, and she didn't even write it down, she just wrote down that she confirmed the diagnosis of Schizoaffective.
But what I want to know is, what does "high functioning autistic traits" mean? It's obviously not a full diagnosis, so it confuses me. What's worse is that it isn't documented, and I can't afford to go back and have it documented. I guess it's helpful that myself, and my grandma, who was in the room when the psychologist told us about how I have autistic traits, at least know. My grandma thought I had Asperger's for years before I was diagnosed Schizoaffective.

I've got the same two diagnosis (schizoaffective and autistic traits) I'm not sure what to make of it either. I take it to be the same as high functioning ASD.

It was a private psychologist, and she didn't even write it down, she just wrote down that she confirmed the diagnosis of Schizoaffective.

Personally I wouldn't dream of seeking such a complex diagnostic process from a mere psychologist. I'd want it from no less than an MD who specialized in psychiatry or neurology.

Zoe, it's confusing isn't it? I don't know why they don't just clarify it.

Judge, I was going to ask my psychiatrist, but I didn't know how to bring it up, so I went for a second opinion from a psychologist. It said she specialized in ASDs so I thought it would be okay.

New Threads

Top Bottom