• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic genius with dark streak--HELP!!

This is what I'm thinking after reading the main post about this child's behavior as an outsider looking in.

The situation reminds me exactly of the movie "The Good Son" with Macaulay Culkin where he plays a 12 yr old psychopath or sociopath (I'm not really sure of the difference) by being "good" at certain times then his "real" self comes out and he terrorizes his cousins, animals, etc. without any form of remorse just so he can have more time with the mother.

This child is autistic which also means he may have no feeling of empathy. The most disturbing is the art of you having your neck broken holding a new baby. This seems to me that he doesn't want your attention on anyone else but him and is willing to even do you harm if you do show attention to something else. Now he is actually causing you harm by what he is doing to your foot which is probably only the beginning. I have to say that 12 yrs old isn't young. By this age a person's personality is pretty much formed and I don't know if it can be changed. The saying "some people are just born bad" comes to mind. I don't really believe that saying completely because outer circumstances can influence behavior, but I do believe that some people are born a certain way to be more susceptible to being a psychopath or sociopath. I've done several reports in school regarding serial killers (not saying this is going to happen to this boy) and how a lot of them had some of the same behaviors as this boy. He definitely needs some professional help that I don't believe you can give and hopefully it isn't too late.

I'm new here, relatively, and while I can't agree with everything you say TiaMaria, (or people in general),it does seem to me you mean well and have a genuine interest.
Is it out of place or rude - or against a rule or something - to ask what happened? Because I am trying to learn what not to do and tend to worry that I've already said something.
If that makes sense.
Edited to add, that in my opinion the huge scope of the OP's issues and problems seem beyond asking for help on the internet. She stated that she is caring for a child, and is not the parent, and this sets off a bit of fear in me. So the tension of the disagreement combined with the fear was difficult, for me.

Hi Kestrel, I don't know what others here would think about you asking 'what happened', but I think it is quite thoughtful so thus appropriate. And you are correct that I am well meaning & genuinely interested, if nothing else. :)

The only disagreement that I am aware of on this discussion thread would be between Wyverary & I, & I think it was more of a miscommunication over the use of the term Facilitated Communication (as SignOfLazarus so aptly pointed out). In any case, it was not a big deal (to me at least, other than my perhaps inappropriate expectation & thus annoyance that Aspies are not more familiar with the Assisted Chat apps & RPM for non verbal Auties); nor would I believe or feel that apologies are needed by either myself or Wyverary.

My including the statement that I would be "taking a break" was just included as my very socially inept way of bidding adieu to those here. My decision or plan to "take a break" was not a direct result or in direct response to this specific discussion, or to Wyverary's comments above. It is & was multifold, complicated, & more of a cumulative, aggregate effect.

To explain, I worry that I am (mostly inadvertently) offending others & possibly making some members feel inhibited by my presence. Partly because everyone here communicates so 'normally' I forget (& actually I don't even know or understand) all the differences between myself & many here. Especially because we also have so many things in common. I also wasn't really aware of the difficulty many of you have communicating equally well in-person as you do in writing here. And I was quite angry at myself for being so harsh & inconsiderate in a recent heated discussion about 'interviewing' & such. In addition, I do take offense to the insulting & derogatory comments that a few members make here & there about "NTs". I find them rude, besides the fact that I totally disagree with them. Otherwise, I like the vibe of this 'place', the AC site & I also like mostly everyone here very much. There is a gentle openness that I am very drawn to. But I am not so sure that I fit in too well. And as I mentioned, I do NOT want to make this a less safe or open place for any of the other members. Lastly, on a very practical level, I do not like to spend too much time on the computer but I find it highly addicting so need to manage & discipline myself in that regard. The AC site is like a fine chocolate that I cannot get enough of so I need to implement some self control!

All of that had nothing to do with Cami's OP & its very serious subject matter. Just another discussion thread hijacked by the kitty cats (meow!). I am sorry for all the confusion.

I think everything is all good now. I will try to be even more open to learning about Aspergers, & also more considerate.

I'm still thinking about this.

I'm reminded of a co-worker who was telling me about her 17 yr old son. He had done some things like this boy when he was younger, but as he got older things became a lot worse - I mean A LOT worse. At 17, he was starting to get into trouble with the police. This co-worker of mine and her husband had absolutely NO control over this kid. The main thing I remember is that they had to get a padlock to lock their bedroom door because they had actually woke up once with him standing over them saying he wanted to kill them. I told her that I didn't care if he was their son or not, she needed to get some sort of weapon for safety if they were going to have him living in their home. That's terrible to say, but when your own kid says they will kill you....that must be utterly terrifying. He really needed to be in a mental institution. She also said that he never had anything happen to him that was traumatic and that he was actually their son and had not been adopted which leads me to the "born bad" theory.

I am thinking about it still, too Grumpy Cat. And feeling awkward, because it seems very serious & more so due to the supposed fact of the OP not being the parent. Plus since this is the internet, me not knowing if it is all true or what.

Hi Kestrel, I don't know what others here would think about you asking 'what happened', but I think it is quite thoughtful so thus appropriate. And you are correct that I am well meaning & genuinely interested, if nothing else. :)

The only disagreement that I am aware of on this discussion thread would be between Wyverary & I, & I think it was more of a miscommunication over the use of the term Facilitated Communication (as SignOfLazarus so aptly pointed out). In any case, it was not a big deal (to me at least, other than my perhaps inappropriate expectation & thus annoyance that Aspies are not more familiar with the Assisted Chat apps & RPM for non verbal Auties); nor would I believe or feel that apologies are needed by either myself or Wyverary.

My including the statement that I would be "taking a break" was just included as my very socially inept way of bidding adieu to those here. My decision or plan to "take a break" was not a direct result or in direct response to this specific discussion, or to Wyverary's comments above. It is & was multifold, complicated, & more of a cumulative, aggregate effect.

To explain, I worry that I am (mostly inadvertently) offending others & possibly making some members feel inhibited by my presence. Partly because everyone here communicates so 'normally' I forget (& actually I don't even know or understand) all the differences between myself & many here. Especially because we also have so many things in common. I also wasn't really aware of the difficulty many of you have communicating equally well in-person as you do in writing here. And I was quite angry at myself for being so harsh & inconsiderate in a recent heated discussion about 'interviewing' & such. In addition, I do take offense to the insulting & derogatory comments that a few members make here & there about "NTs". I find them rude, besides the fact that I totally disagree with them. Otherwise, I like the vibe of this 'place', the AC site & I also like mostly everyone here very much. There is a gentle openness that I am very drawn to. But I am not so sure that I fit in too well. And as I mentioned, I do NOT want to make this a less safe or open place for any of the other members. Lastly, on a very practical level, I do not like to spend too much time on the computer but I find it highly addicting so need to manage & discipline myself in that regard. The AC site is like a fine chocolate that I cannot get enough of so I need to implement some self control!

All of that had nothing to do with Cami's OP & its very serious subject matter. Just another discussion thread hijacked by the kitty cats (meow!). I am sorry for all the confusion.

I think everything is all good now. I will try to be even more open to learning about Aspergers, & also more considerate.
I don't really think we are at are core different. Just different models on the same Homo Sapiens chassis. I think the concept of 'difference' is an artifact, something made up by people. Not real.

Unlikely.
The person who started this thread made two posts,
in 2015, and hasn't been onsite since then.

The person who started this post was not in a position (lacked authority) to take any action. She did however receive some excellent advice from members. It's too bad we don't know the outcome.

I was frightened reading about this particular child. I truly feel this lady was in over her head.

This young man may have several damages/misconceptions. Regardless, I’m really quite uncomfortable with the inappropriateness of your behavior with a 12 yr old. Since this relationship puts me off - I can’t read this objectively.

They have picked up harmful behaviours from videos they've seen. In my day story books including war stories, were "nice". Fictional videos are too intense for anyone and still for me now.

Both sets of parents plus this lady are totally out of their depth. They must throw themselves on autism societies. Some families "don't want" a "case" in the family but don't realise they have other diverse members too.

@Trenton, why would we want a picture? People don't need us staring at them.

WHAT DO HE WATCH ON TV MABY HE COULD WATCH FUN TV SHOWS LIKE SESAME STREET CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG CALLIOU JUST TO NAME A FEW MABY YOU NEED TO CHANGE HIS DIET THARE IS A BOOK CALLE TRACKING DOWN HIDDEN FOOD ALLERGY I HOPE I HELPED YOU I WANT Y0U AND YOUR SON TO HAVE A VERRY VERRY HAPPY DAY

WHAT DO HE WATCH ON TV MABY HE COULD WATCH FUN TV SHOWS LIKE SESAME STREET CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG CALLIOU JUST TO NAME A FEW MABY YOU NEED TO CHANGE HIS DIET THARE IS A BOOK CALLE TRACKING DOWN HIDDEN FOOD ALLERGY I HOPE I HELPED YOU I WANT Y0U AND YOUR SON TO HAVE A VERRY VERRY HAPPY DAY

The person who started this thread hasn't been here since February of 2015.

I'm definitely not an expert, but to me, this does not sound like autism. These symptoms sound more sociopathy or narcissism.

New Threads

Top Bottom