• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What precludes such a gathering being
a sort of ghetto/segregation unit?

Well we don't consider modern-day Chinatowns and Little Italys ghettos and segregation units. On the other-hand, if one of the reasons why we're doing this (which I personally don't consider a very big reason as I see a lot of benefits to us sticking together in a village, town or city) is because society views Autism as a disease or the like that needs to be cure or the like, than in a sense it is a sort of ghetto or segregation unit and thus an indictment against society for not accepting us.

Living with other people, autistic or not, drives me crazy.
There is a reason I live totally alone, even though it can get isolating sometimes. But even living with my parents was a nightmare for me and I got out as soon as I could afford it.

I'd probably go nuts if I were forced into this sort of thing. Just being straight here and no, neurology has zip to do with it. Far as I remember, all the past threads on this subject lack a clear gameplan that's grounded in any reality.

Until anyone has that and the resources to even begin to pull it off, I think a forum like this is a excellent alternative that works better for everyone compared to a tight-knit community on a plot of land going in no particular direction. Many of us struggle with social interaction and communication per the definition of ASD, so when disaster strikes how do you suppose that would pan out? If you ask me, I'd say not very well.

If I win the lottery I might have a go at creating one. Soundproofed houses, no alcohol, no illegal drugs, soundproofed creative spaces... all somewhere quiet where you will only be bothered if you want to be.

There have been many many examples of communal living and many that go on today all over the world. A lot of them are centered around religion but there are certainly secular examples. It's presumed that in all cases the participants agree to and adhere to a set of rules and it's presumed that they're all of "like mind" as to what the communal goal is.

This "autistic enclave" idea put forth wouldn't work if there wasn't a unified goal any more than any other type of communal living group wouldn't work for the same reason. The members in any group would have to be unified or of "like mind" in what or how the group would want to live.

Putting a city dwelling autistic person who loves to play video games most of the day together with a rural autistic person who likes to garden and live in natural solitude wouldn't work at all and the fact that both are autistic wouldn't help the matter in the least.

Could a like-minded autistic community with a unified goal and agreed upon rules thrive better and be more mutually rewarding for each member than a mixed-neurology group of the same type? Yes, I think personally it would. It's all about the rules.

Living with other people, autistic or not, drives me crazy.
There is a reason I live totally alone, even though it can get isolating sometimes. But even living with my parents was a nightmare for me and I got out as soon as I could afford it.

There have been many many examples of communal living and many that go on today all over the world.
It should be noted that by living together, I mean as neighbour where everyone has their own house, or at least apartment, they don't necessarily share anything.

And also, I can't remember who said this recently but, it's a neibourhood, not a separate town or village or the like.

If I win the lottery I might have a go at creating one. Soundproofed houses, no alcohol, no illegal drugs, soundproofed creative spaces... all somewhere quiet where you will only be bothered if you want to be.

I don't drink myself but isn't prohibiting things already starting out bothering people, from a position of control? I suspect people on the spectrum are the last people that want that kind of approach. Remind me of those gated communities where you have to get permission to plant a bush in your yard.

I don't drink myself but isn't prohibiting things already starting out bothering people, from a position of control? I suspect people on the spectrum are the last people that want that kind of approach. Remind me of those gated communities where you have to get permission to plant a bush in your yard.

I don't drink either. One of the reasons for these rules is that some get dependant and it often can be very destructive. Being in an environment where neither alcohol nor illegal drugs are has the potential to remove the temptation. So rather that seeking a 'quick fix' that in reality fixes nothing they have to do a little more to solve the issue. This could be having a hobby that results in something creative rather than destructive.

Going back to my post I missed no smoking off the rules. Let's face it, this is another destructive one with zero benefit.

we rented a room in our house years ago, Did not have a list of rules for border to follow. Just common sense.

I think a forum like this is a excellent alternative that works better for everyone compared to a tight-knit community on a plot of land going in no particular direction.
And if the internet goes down???

Many of us struggle with social interaction and communication per the definition of ASD, so when disaster strikes how do you suppose that would pan out? If you ask me, I'd say not very well.
We can communicate with and understand fellow-Autistic people much better than non-Autistic, why would I even suggest this if it weren’t true?

Hello?? What happens if the internet goes down?

You people do realize there is a lot of advantages to having a community? Like getting easier access to jobs, support and the like.

I just don’t want us being too dependent on technology, are people really going to tell me that we’re better off living with people who have a hard time understanding us and often fantasize about us going extinct or are convinced that we’re not really Autistic because Autism must be bad; as opposed to living with literally like-minded people who do understand us and are usually more than willing to help us out with things?

I just don’t want us being too dependent on technology, are people really going to tell me that we’re better off living with people who have a hard time understanding us and often fantasize about us going extinct or are convinced that we’re not really Autistic because Autism must be bad; as opposed to living with literally like-minded people who do understand us and are usually more than willing to help us out with things?

I think it would work fine, as long as people had their own places/homes. The place in the pic is part of something called a cabin field, it's just a big area with lots of vacation cabins. It has infrastructure, water, sewer, electricity. So it's like a big neighborhood. Or a village. I would happily live in a place like that with people from this forum. :) Of course there could be problems, but there's always some problems no matter where people live and problems can be solved. I do think it's important that people have their own homes. If someone tried to make me share a building or a home with 50 people, I wouldn't be super happy about it. But having neighbors is ok.

hytte.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom