• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
One thing I keep thinking about is forming in-the-flesh enclaves were we can stick together in a physical community. I know there are a lot of issues with that, like the fact that we don't agree on things, and the fact that a lot of us probably don't have the money to move anywhere, let alone to an enclave, but I think it would be a very helpful things for us if we could do that.

I've heard that the BBC once reported on Autistic people forming a farming co-operative, does anyone know anything about that and how it's doing and the like?

I don't think it work as well as you may hope. I already do not like interaction with NTs. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to navigate day-to-day life in a 'village' of Autistics. Better not have any large, shiny objects laying about, otherwise I'll get nothing done. :)

I think it is an interesting idea and have speculated about it somewhat in fiction writing. In a think-tank/innovation setting I certainly could see some potential. Perhaps that might translate alos into a more practical setting such as farm collective. But I think we might have a Public Relations problem.

The world already half see's us like this:

MV5BODUzMTVmYzgtNjNjMi00MzE2LTliM2UtODY2ZmYzODk5OTNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_.jpg

;)

This topic of entire nations composed of ASD citizens, of farms,
apartment complexes or communes or whatever comes up
about once a year.

To many cases of executive function disorders and learning disability to make it work. 50% of people with asd could most likely never work, not in any environment. We also a disproportionate amount of people that are only interested in the abstract and wouldn't enjoy (or be any good at it) menial physical labor. It would also be a sausage fest, i am not sure if many woman would want to life in a 4;1 male:female ratio, a lot of whom are desperate for attention from woman. Also hygiene, a lot autistic people only maintain hygiene to fit in with the standards that NT have put up. I can see it becoming a place where the majority never uses deodorant or shaves/gets a haircut and only takes weekly showers, with a minority of super hygienic people getting frustrated by it. It may even devolve into almost barbaric cults worshiping stim objects.

Last edited:
The final idea was people would either live close to each other or faraway with communal facilities never got any further ,two communities would be better vegan and non vegan(the systems are polar opposites)

I know I mentioned a farming community and am open to the idea of a whole village or the like, but I'm talking about something like a Little Italy or Chinatown, a neighborhood or part of a town or village where we reside, not an entire town or village. (although again, I am open to the idea.)

To many cases of executive function disorders and learning disability to make it work. 50% of people with asd could most likely never work, not in any environment. We also a disproportionate amount of people that are only interested in the abstract and wouldn't enjoy (or be any good at it) menial physical labor. It would also be a sausage fest, i am not sure if many woman would want to life in a 4;1 male:female ratio, a lot of whom are desperate for attention from woman. Also hygiene, a lot autistic people only maintain hygiene to fit in with the standards that NT have put up. I can see it becoming a place where the majority never uses deodorant or shaves/gets a haircut and only takes weekly showers, with a minority of super hygienic people getting frustrated by it. It may even devolve into almost barbaric cults worshiping stim objects.
I am convinced that the vast majority of Autistic people's struggle with employment, has more to do with today's economy, then with us Autistic folk, as is shown from the fact that many NTs, also struggle with finding employment. In regards manual labour, many Autistic people (myself included) are becoming more and more interested in becoming homesteaders, including many on this site. And of course today it's being discovered that many more women are Autistic than was previously thought.

I think it is an interesting idea and have speculated about it somewhat in fiction writing. In a think-tank/innovation setting I certainly could see some potential. Perhaps that might translate alos into a more practical setting such as farm collective. But I think we might have a Public Relations problem.

The world already half see's us like this:

View attachment 76445

;)
This might be a bit optimistic but I think their might actually be advantages to us approaching the NT community on collective level, and have a visible presence in human society.

I am convinced that the vast majority of Autistic people's struggle with employment, has more to do with today's economy, then with us Autistic folk, as is shown from the fact that many NTs, also struggle with finding employment. In regards manual labour, many Autistic people (myself included) are becoming more and more interested in becoming homesteaders, including many on this site. And of course today it's being discovered that many more women are Autistic than was previously thought.
Maybe a projection on my part since i am horrible at manual labor, but the figures for unemployable people would still be to high in an autistic economy, we would be looking atleast at 30% unemployable in the 18-60 range due to autism and it's commodities, also all other disabilities besides autism that would make a person unemployable would still coexist and make matters even worse. It could realistically only work if you filter by functioning and iq levels, also deport all the newborn autistics that don't meet the criteria. We can't all possible pay for the extensive care some asd3 patients are required. What would even happen to newborn NT? Would we tear their families apart because no NT's would be allowed in our autistic community?

Last edited:
It would be do-able and might be necessary and if it become necessary, we would find a way.

One day, maybe after a nuclear war or something----ummm--- maybe those on the spectrum may not be so tolerated or aided. We might have to pull together our skills.

Even without all that, it could still work. I bet if we each had our own pods and didn't have to interact if we didn't want to, it would be great. Imagine being able to go outside, like in Athens, and BOOM, you find someone who can tell you all about the dirt and what best to plant where and why. Another can tell you about which goats makes the best milk and how to make cheese. Another knows how to build tiny homes, etc.

Aside from practical matters, you can find someone to tell you all about ancient Greece or the stars or Euclidean Geometry.

OK, I've convinced myself. I am in. Say when and where :-D Haha

Community yes, but I don't think an enclave is a good idea. Socialize together, advocate together, work together, these are good ideas.

Maybe a projection on my part since i am horrible at manual labor, but the figures for unemployable people would still be to high in an autistic economy, we would be looking atleast at 30% unemployable in the 18-60 range due to autism and it's commodities, also all other disabilities besides autism that would make a person unemployable would still coexist and make matters even worse. It could realistically only work if you filter by functioning and iq levels, also deport all the newborn autistics that don't meet the criteria. We can't all possible pay for the extensive care some asd3 patients are required. What would even happen to newborn NT? Would we tear their families apart because no NT's would be allowed in our autistic community?
Like I said, I’m talking about an enclave, not necessarily a town or village, we would live alongside NTs, but have our own neighborhood where we could stick together.

In regards to comorbidities, I’m convinced that a very large portion is actually caused by stress, not Autism itself. I myself went through a period in my life in which I made changes that greatly reduced my stress, and when that happened, a large number of my comorbidities vanished.

New Threads

Top Bottom