• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic boy triumphing over adversity

Geordie

Geordie
DOTING mum Mechele Richardson was concerned after noticing her son had difficulty communicating but she didn't know why.

Her son Tiago - who was just a toddler at the time - was often withdrawn and Mechele feared the worse after coming across terrifying research online.

"I was driving myself insane looking up things on the internet when trying to discover why Tiago acted the way he did.

"However it all became clear that his lack of communication skills were linked to his autism after a lecturer of mine suggested this may be the problem," said the full-time mum from Kilbarchan.

St Anthony's Primary pupil Tiago, who is now seven, was eventually diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder when he was five years old.

Although there are more than half a million people in the UK who have autism, it is still a highly misinterpretated and difficult condition to spot.

Mechele said: "I had my suspicions as I had previously worked as a residential childcare worker. He wasn't communicating or talking as much as most children his age.

"When he was finally diagnosed I was devastated as I didn't know how severe it could be. I felt physically drained and literally cried myself to sleep some nights as I read that he would never be able to live life independently.

"It was heart-breaking to think that he might not be able to do the same things as any other child or even as an adult.

"Social situations can be difficult for him, particularly with other children who perhaps don't understand why he isn't speaking to him, they might just think he is being ignorant.

"The slightest thing may aggravate him and it can be difficult as he gets really upset. It is perhaps more difficult because it isn't a physical thing that you can spot."

Although Mechele struggled to find help at the time of his diagnosis, she feels extra proud every time Tiago manages to overcome another difficulty that a child with autism might face.

She said: "Tiago has just recently learned colour. I actually had to get him tested to see if he was colour blind at first.

However one day he came home from school and just started rhyming off all the colours.

"I was in absolute shock as it came out of the blue from nowhere. I was ecstatic as you can just see how happy he is every time he overcomes something new."

Autism was first discovered and given a name in 1943 BY Dr Leo Kanner of Johns Hopkins University. There are many different stages of the condition, making it one of the most difficult condition's to spot.

Depending on which spectrum a person falls under, people with autism may have difficulty reading facial expressions or may struggle to speak out among other people.

Others block out everything that is going on around them and can spend hours on end focusing on one thing.

Mechele continued: "Sometimes Tiago gets lost in his own little world and if he enjoys something he will know it inside now. Right now his thing is superheroes, he has a favourite cape and eyemask he always wears.

"However recently his communication levels are coming on phenomenally. I read that dogs can help to bring kids with autism out of their shell so I bought a little yorkie dog a couple of years ago.

"His name is Jax and Tiago absolutely adores him. Now when a visitor comes in the house Tiago comes running and shouts - 'Come see my dog!'

"I am now a full-time mum so that I can offer him all of the support and attention that he needs and it's amazing to see how quickly he has come on.

"It can be a very anxious time for a mum so it's important to have as much support and understanding on autism as possible."

Charity Scottish Autism has recently launched an online service aimed at supporting parents of children and teenagers with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

They have just introduced their new Right Click programme, a service which is aimed at helping parents understand some of the challenges which can arise with their children and the wider family.

The web-programme will feature more than 50 videos and additional support materials giving advise on ASD related issues. Topics covered include eating issues, toileting, sleep problems, developing skills for independent living and handling relationships.

New content is released each week for four weeks allowing for revision of the materials in the fifth week. Parents are also assigned their own autism advisor who can be contacted to answer questions, provide clarification and give more individually-tailored advice.

Charlene Tait, development director of Scottish Autism, said: "We are very excited about this new, innovative means of delivering support to parents in Renfrewshire and throughout Scotland.

"Right Click captures our knowledge and experience in managing some of the challenging issues presented to families of young people with autism and makes it accessible to parents to absorb in their own time, at their own pace and at a modest cost.

"The programmes are focused on providing support to parents of both young, recently diagnosed children and teenagers as we know that this can be an especially challenging time for families.

"This approach is all about enabling parents, providing them with access to ideas, information and experience so that they can be proactive or better manage any potential problems from an informed position."

Michele added: "Luckily I have received so much support from my family, the school and the charity Scottish Autism who have helped me be able to understand Tiago's condition a lot better.

"Autism is such a huge concept for any mum, dad or sibling to comprehend so having access to this type of support and guidance felt reassuring and comforting."

AUTISM FACTS

- Half a million people in the UK have autism.

- Over 40 per cent of children at school have been bullied because of autism

- Children with an ASD may fail to respond to their names and often avoid eye contact with other people. They have difficulty interpreting what others are thinking or feeling because they can't understand social cues, such as tone of voice or facial expressions, and don't watch other people's faces for clues about appropriate behavior.

- There is no cure for autism spectrum disorder

- Boys are four times as likely to have autism as girls

- 40 per cent of children with autism do not speak

Autistic boy triumphing over adversity / The Gazette / News / Roundup

New Threads

Top Bottom