• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism vs. Antisocial Personality Disorder

="VAW, post: 620145, member: 21912"]All good advise... I think some of the trouble is I have 5 kids (adults) and I work, and I take care of my mother who is 87 when I can. (helping her) Also 3 years ago I had to take care of my father before he died, and then my uncle passed away almost a year ago and I took care of him so my time is limited for my son who probably needs my help the most.

" Thank you oh please dont take any of my statements as i mean you are doing things wrong as thats NOT what i meant. I have complete and utter understanding you do everything you can .Hence i was pushing you need to acept that you CANT do everything for him and you need help and shouldent feel like youre neglecting youre son "

Things got put on hold so to speak for him.

" I compleatly understand & you sound like my mom before she got Alzheimer she sacrificed ALLOT for me as well and she as well as you deserve a GOLD star for it "

November of this last year is when his girlfriend stopped talking to him, then would come on for a few times texting him and then nothing, I think she tried to ease him off. So things have gotten worst for him just recently.

" A okey so in his mind id say its pretty frech then "

He will say things like I am no one.

" yeah that what comes from SEVERELY low self esteem & depression i was the same "

I said you are very talented, why not do your writings and we can make a book? He will say no, that is too much work. Or I say you have so much talent and he will say I am nobody, things will never change, why bother, why try? this world means nothing to me, I shouldn't have been born, I am not capable of feelings I feel nothing!

" Classic Depression symptoms been thru them all "

I said so you felt nothing for your girlfriend? You didn't love her? He said only in my way. I said if you felt nothing then it wouldn't have bothered you not to be with her! You can feel something, maybe not to an extreme but you have feelings.... everything I say on a positive note, ends up a negative note to him.

" What you have to understand is he has probably built up his own protection bubble and in his own little safety cocoon he can spin and manipulate things so that HE can feel safe about it (again been there done that ) + YOU think youre negative to him but he probably DONT take it negatively . Yes he defends him self and word out matters in negative tone BUT thats probably to protect him self. TRUST me on this if he felt you were negative to him he wouldn't keep coming to you like he obviously does (you`d be amazed how mush crap my dear sweet mother had to take from me over the years :eek:) . You see YOU are the only one that he as far as i can see this based on my own diagnosis and how i work feels comfortable and trust to share this things with so sadly for you you also get the negative stuff as well as the good of course. So you should feel honerd that he indeed respect you and values youre efforts "

He has seen a therapist in the past, and I do think he needs to talk to one again

" I agree (ive been dealing with the so called pro`s since i was 4 (born 71 ) so sadly back then they dident know diddly about any of this diagnosis so i cant say i got mush help BUT these days its a different story of course "

, however I can not seem to get him to go. He will say nothing changes, nothing helps. Everything is always negative.

" Thats defenetly a problem . The problem is he´s so far down alredy that its VERY hard to get up (i should know as ive lost count on how many DEEP depressions i have been thru in my life) BUT believe it or not for every depression you mange to get out of the stronger you become and learn to get back from them again but of course with his diagnosis its not easy "

It does scare me even though he is not suicidal, he had told me that when he almost died he was just going to lay there and die, he didn't want to live, however that girl convinced him to go to the doctor so he went for her. Otherwise he would have preferred to die. So in my head I think if he had the chance again would he take it?

" What i can say is its ONE thing to talk /think & plan about Suicide and how ready you are and so on (again im talking from personal experience ) BUT when its time to actually take that final step its NOT (thank god ) that easy. Id say IF he dont accept some help yes sadly the risk does occur BUT based on that he hasent YET id still say he DONT wont to do it. When we`re that far down in our depression if things being allowed to continue to down spiral in to the dark pit so to say without being able to see some light in the tunnel then sadly the risk does increase (my latest DOWN period was actually 2 years back when pretty mush my whole life finally crumbled and i couldn't take any more and BELIVE me i was SO close everything was alredy planned and my good friend was even so concerned he called me EVERY day just to check i was still here. And i was as i said VERY close (and as in earlier periods the only thing stopping me was my pets & my SEVERE stubbornes ) BUT i managed to with both his support and my own STUBBORNES get back again and havent looked back since . What im trying to say here s you DONT need to be with him 24 /7 just show him youre THERE for him when he needs you (be it by text,Phone,or of course from time to time in person) Those that actually take the final step are those that secludes them self and isolate them self from EVERYONE and in TOTAL.

Further more IF he (which i actually still doght based on what you said so far about him) were to someday take that step then its NOT youre fault it is HIS choice sad as it is. You cant be there protecting him 24 / 7 :( "

It does break my heart thinking about this.

" I compleatly understand :( The problem is you CANT force him to accept the help all you can do is try to convince him that he has not mush more to loose then give it a shot (you can angle that to him when he says whats the use,nothing will change , i just dont want to live anymore) if he feels this way then what does he got to loose to give this a chance ?

I would also add this based on what you said about youre son he reminds of SO mush about my self when i was younger in that he´s WAY more stronger mentally then you might believe because he wasent he would alredy be gone. Its no question that he have gotten the short end of the life stick in general :( But is also clear to me that he like me is NOT willing to just lay down and accept defeat, he fights with everything he has to somehow continue his fight against all his diagnosis BUT its also clear he needs help and support from the medical professions as well as the support he alredy has from you and his family "

Last edited:
="VAW, post: 620145, member: 21912"]All good advise... I think some of the trouble is I have 5 kids (adults) and I work, and I take care of my mother who is 87 when I can. (helping her) Also 3 years ago I had to take care of my father before he died, and then my uncle passed away almost a year ago and I took care of him so my time is limited for my son who probably needs my help the most.

" Thank you oh please dont take any of my statements as i mean you are doing things wrong as thats NOT what i meant. I have complete and utter understanding you do everything you can .Hence i was pushing you need to acept that you CANT do everything for him and you need help and shouldent feel like youre neglecting youre son "

Things got put on hold so to speak for him.

" I compleatly understand & you sound like my mom before she got Alzheimer she sacrificed ALLOT for me as well and she as well as you deserve a GOLD star for it "

November of this last year is when his girlfriend stopped talking to him, then would come on for a few times texting him and then nothing, I think she tried to ease him off. So things have gotten worst for him just recently.

" A okey so in his mind id say its pretty frech then "

He will say things like I am no one.

" yeah that what comes from SEVERELY low self esteem & depression i was the same "

I said you are very talented, why not do your writings and we can make a book? He will say no, that is too much work. Or I say you have so much talent and he will say I am nobody, things will never change, why bother, why try? this world means nothing to me, I shouldn't have been born, I am not capable of feelings I feel nothing!

" Classic Depression symptoms been thru them all "

I said so you felt nothing for your girlfriend? You didn't love her? He said only in my way. I said if you felt nothing then it wouldn't have bothered you not to be with her! You can feel something, maybe not to an extreme but you have feelings.... everything I say on a positive note, ends up a negative note to him.

" What you have to understand is he has probably built up his own protection bubble and in his own little safety cocoon he can spin and manipulate things so that HE can feel safe about it (again been there done that ) + YOU think youre negative to him but he probably DONT take it negatively . Yes he defends him self and word out matters in negative tone BUT thats probably to protect him self. TRUST me on this if he felt you were negative to him he wouldn't keep coming to you like he obviously does (you`d be amazed how mush crap my dear sweet mother had to take from me over the years :eek:) . You see YOU are the only one that he as far as i can see this based on my own diagnosis and how i work feels comfortable and trust to share this things with so sadly for you you also get the negative stuff as well as the good of course. So you should feel honerd that he indeed respect you and values youre efforts "

He has seen a therapist in the past, and I do think he needs to talk to one again

" I agree (ive been dealing with the so called pro`s since i was 4 (born 71 ) so sadly back then they dident know diddly about any of this diagnosis so i cant say i got mush help BUT these days its a different story of course "

, however I can not seem to get him to go. He will say nothing changes, nothing helps. Everything is always negative.

" Thats defenetly a problem . The problem is he´s so far down alredy that its VERY hard to get up (i should know as ive lost count on how many DEEP depressions i have been thru in my life) BUT believe it or not for every depression you mange to get out of the stronger you become and learn to get back from them again but of course with his diagnosis its not easy "

It does scare me even though he is not suicidal, he had told me that when he almost died he was just going to lay there and die, he didn't want to live, however that girl convinced him to go to the doctor so he went for her. Otherwise he would have preferred to die. So in my head I think if he had the chance again would he take it?

" What i can say is its ONE thing to talk /think & plan about Suicide and how ready you are and so on (again im talking from personal experience ) BUT when its time to actually take that final step its NOT (thank god ) that easy. Id say IF he dont accept some help yes sadly the risk does occur BUT based on that he hasent YET id still say he DONT wont to do it. When we`re that far down in our depression if things being allowed to continue to down spiral in to the dark pit so to say without being able to see some light in the tunnel then sadly the risk does increase (my latest DOWN period was actually 2 years back when pretty mush my whole life finally crumbled and i couldn't take any more and BELIVE me i was SO close everything was alredy planned and my good friend was even so concerned he called me EVERY day just to check i was still here. And i was as i said VERY close (and as in earlier periods the only thing stopping me was my pets & my SEVERE stubbornes ) BUT i managed to with both his support and my own STUBBORNES get back again and havent looked back since . What im trying to say here s you DONT need to be with him 24 /7 just show him youre THERE for him when he needs you (be it by text,Phone,or of course from time to time in person) Those that actually take the final step are those that secludes them self and isolate them self from EVERYONE and in TOTAL.

Further more IF he (which i actually still doght based on what you said so far about him) were to someday take that step then its NOT youre fault it is HIS choice sad as it is. You cant be there protecting him 24 / 7 :( "

It does break my heart thinking about this.

" I compleatly understand :( The problem is you CANT force him to accept the help all you can do is try to convince him that he has not mush more to loose then give it a shot (you can angle that to him when he says whats the use,nothing will change , i just dont want to live anymore) if he feels this way then what does he got to loose to give this a chance ?

I would also add this based on what you said about youre son he reminds of SO mush about my self when i was younger in that he´s WAY more stronger mentally then you might believe because he wasent he would alredy be gone. Its no question that he have gotten the short end of the life stick in general :( But is also clear to me that he like me is NOT willing to just lay down and accept defeat, he fights with everything he has to somehow continue his fight against all his diagnosis BUT its also clear he needs help and support from the medical professions as well as the support he alredy has from you and his family "
Thank you Sarah, I appreciate all the help....
he has told the psychologist that he isn't suicidal but he told me he would have done it a long time ago if he wasn't such a coward. I tell him it will get better but he says no, it will never change. does it help to just try and be positive? or is that irritating? I don't know if that helps or if I just sound like a drum always hitting the same note to him?

="VAW, post: 620215, member: 21912"]Thank you Sarah, I appreciate all the help....

" Youre very welkome and just to be clear im NOT a professional but i do have a gazillion diagnosis (actually took a few online tests on AVPD as i felt i could easily relate to youre sons and AVPD symptoms ,and well ALL 3 of them stated time to see the docs and the scores were high (moderate - High risk of having this ) So perhaps thats why i somehow can relate to youre son. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if i actually have this as well & do fit the criterias in DSM 5) :rolleyes: "

he has told the psychologist that he isn't suicidal but he told me he would have done it a long time ago if he wasn't such a coward.

" Id say the same in my case only he is NOT coward he is STRONG
( He just dont know it him self ) , its the week ones and coward ones that takes this last step (further more to me he also says between the lines i DONT want to do this so please HELP me) "

I tell him it will get better but he says no, it will never change.

" Thats because he have lost his belief in that it can get better. Thats how depression works it takes away youre inner spirit "

does it help to just try and be positive? or is that irritating?

Yes what you need to try to be is always positive dont EVER give in openly to him youre despair and so on. Id say its YOU that so far have kept him alive and still willing to keep on he`s suffering (same as my mom was to me )

I don't know if that helps or if I just sound like a drum always hitting the same note to him?

" Again if my mom had been all gloomy and sad complaining all the time & helped feed me the negative vibes when i was down i wouldn't be talking to you this day if you know what i mean. When youre that far down if you fuel the negative feelings its like actually poor fuel on an open flame so to say we thrive on that to the point of actually being convinced that the best we an do is to just end it all. what my mom did was LISTEN to me and really trying to understand what i was saying and trying to get me back again (sort of you are the light keeper in a dark tunnel and its youre job to show the way out of the dark tunnel ) THIS is what the psychiatrists do as well .Its most defenetly NOT easy but it can be done.

One other thing is also his AC now i do have a friend that also has this so ive read up about this as well and obviously talked to him and one of the many negative things with this that it drains his physical & also mental strength tremendously. Basically as i understood this its 100 times what Severe IC and make my IC problems look like nothing in comparesing. So this on top of his ASD and most defenetly AVPD ,Anxiety is in my own NON professional opinion a recipe for disaster untreated so again he needs help . Most defenetly id say he need someone that he feels he can trust and that actually do cares for him as he needs to be able to vent (get it all out same as you do with the shrinks)"

="VAW, post: 620215, member: 21912"]Thank you Sarah, I appreciate all the help....

" Youre very welkome and just to be clear im NOT a professional but i do have a gazillion diagnosis (actually took a few online tests on AVPD as i felt i could easily relate to youre sons and AVPD symptoms ,and well ALL 3 of them stated time to see the docs and the scores were high (moderate - High risk of having this ) So perhaps thats why i somehow can relate to youre son. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if i actually have this as well & do fit the criterias in DSM 5) :rolleyes: "

he has told the psychologist that he isn't suicidal but he told me he would have done it a long time ago if he wasn't such a coward.

" Id say the same in my case only he is NOT coward he is STRONG
( He just dont know it him self ) , its the week ones and coward ones that takes this last step (further more to me he also says between the lines i DONT want to do this so please HELP me) "

I tell him it will get better but he says no, it will never change.

" Thats because he have lost his belief in that it can get better. Thats how depression works it takes away youre inner spirit "

does it help to just try and be positive? or is that irritating?

Yes what you need to try to be is always positive dont EVER give in openly to him youre despair and so on. Id say its YOU that so far have kept him alive and still willing to keep on he`s suffering (same as my mom was to me )

I don't know if that helps or if I just sound like a drum always hitting the same note to him?

" Again if my mom had been all gloomy and sad complaining all the time & helped feed me the negative vibes when i was down i wouldn't be talking to you this day if you know what i mean. When youre that far down if you fuel the negative feelings its like actually poor fuel on an open flame so to say we thrive on that to the point of actually being convinced that the best we an do is to just end it all. what my mom did was LISTEN to me and really trying to understand what i was saying and trying to get me back again (sort of you are the light keeper in a dark tunnel and its youre job to show the way out of the dark tunnel ) THIS is what the psychiatrists do as well .Its most defenetly NOT easy but it can be done.

One other thing is also his AC now i do have a friend that also has this so ive read up about this as well and obviously talked to him and one of the many negative things with this that it drains his physical & also mental strength tremendously. Basically as i understood this its 100 times what Severe IC and make my IC problems look like nothing in comparesing. So this on top of his ASD and most defenetly AVPD ,Anxiety is in my own NON professional opinion a recipe for disaster untreated so again he needs help . Most defenetly id say he need someone that he feels he can trust and that actually do cares for him as he needs to be able to vent (get it all out same as you do with the shrinks)"
IT is funny because as I said when he was a kid, I missed every sign. Had I known sooner it may have been easier for him. I had never even heard of Asperger's...it wasn't until my daughter saw something on it and asked me if she may have it, I said no, but I think this is exactly what her brother has.... all the doctor's would say is that he has very high anxiety, later they told me that since they were not a phycologist they couldn't diagnose that so they used anxiety. but looking into it kind of amazed me that I didn't see that in him. Maybe because he is so intelligent, he has always been intelligent so he has nothing wrong mentally. When he was diagnosed they said he is very intelligent, but that has nothing to do with how his brain processes things.
So does everyone always feel empty inside? or like they have nothing to live for? This world isn't for them? I can't even imagine that. I guess that is why people just don't understand how this is.
Thank you again for all the information.... it all helps.

="VAW, post: 620264, member: 21912"]IT is funny because as I said when he was a kid, I missed every sign.

" We cant all be expected to know about all different diagnosis (they dident find my ASD until i was 30 ) However its different in us females then in boys and we are often diagnosed later in life "

Had I known sooner it may have been easier for him.

" It might BUT again you cant blame youre self "

I had never even heard of Asperger's...it wasn't until my daughter saw something on it and asked me if she may have it, I said no, but I think this is exactly what her brother has....

" Only a doc can diagnose after a evaluation "

all the doctor's would say is that he has very high anxiety, later they told me that since they were not a phycologist they couldn't diagnose that so they used anxiety.

"I understand "

but looking into it kind of amazed me that I didn't see that in him.

" What you have to count in here is youre his mother and as shush youre close to him so its not that strange that you go blind in some of his behaviors "

Maybe because he is so intelligent, he has always been intelligent so he has nothing wrong mentally. When he was diagnosed they said he is very intelligent, but that has nothing to do with how his brain processes things.

" They are right the IQ has nothing to do with any of said diagnosis "
So does everyone always feel empty inside? or like they have nothing to live for? This world isn't for them? I can't even imagine that. I guess that is why people just don't understand how this is.

" Its all individual with all this cind of diagnosis + The severity grade of course "

" ANY time im just happy if i somehow can help based on my own diagnosis and experience :p "

="VAW, post: 620264, member: 21912"]IT is funny because as I said when he was a kid, I missed every sign.

" We cant all be expected to know about all different diagnosis (they dident find my ASD until i was 30 ) However its different in us females then in boys and we are often diagnosed later in life "

Had I known sooner it may have been easier for him.

" It might BUT again you cant blame youre self "

I had never even heard of Asperger's...it wasn't until my daughter saw something on it and asked me if she may have it, I said no, but I think this is exactly what her brother has....

" Only a doc can diagnose after a evaluation "

all the doctor's would say is that he has very high anxiety, later they told me that since they were not a phycologist they couldn't diagnose that so they used anxiety.

"I understand "

but looking into it kind of amazed me that I didn't see that in him.

" What you have to count in here is youre his mother and as shush youre close to him so its not that strange that you go blind in some of his behaviors "

Maybe because he is so intelligent, he has always been intelligent so he has nothing wrong mentally. When he was diagnosed they said he is very intelligent, but that has nothing to do with how his brain processes things.

" They are right the IQ has nothing to do with any of said diagnosis "

" Its all individual with all this cind of diagnosis + The severity grade of course "

" ANY time im just happy if i somehow can help based on my own diagnosis and experience :p "
Do you mind if we do a personal messaging?

I think that if you doubt your diagnosis, you could get another evaluation. As you say, things have changed since your last evaluation. A fresh look at your case might lead to new insights. Or it might not. What are you hoping and/or looking for?

That's wise counsel. I'd prefer to dodge a dark triad designation, but the most important thing moving forward is clarity. I have always felt the autism diagnosis seemed to fit.

I score 32 of 100 [edit: 36 of 110] on the Berkeley empathy self assessment tool. But I waste 0 energy trying to hurt anyone, not even for personal gain. My morality is intact and I value the truth to a fault. There's just this vast nothing where feelings are concerned.

Just get this clear you DONT have to have a low Empathy to have Autism my friend just took said test mentioned & i scored
Empathy Quiz Results
Your empathy score is 97 out of 110, indicating a high level of empathy in general.

And yet i still have still have ASD ;)

As i said
multiple times before this cinds of Neuro Psychological diagnosis are highly individual

And also if we look at what said PDD- Nos diagnose is we see

PDD-Nos are now called Autism Spectrum Disorder = ASD

The name change came in 2013, when the American Psychiatric Association reclassified autistic disorder,Asbergers`s Syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, and Persesesive developmental disorder = not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) as Autism Spectrum Disorders

SO you see you DO have ASD my friend

Last edited:
I am glad someone added this post, because it removes all doubt in my mind about my status. I have read posts where people are desperately lonely for companionship or friendship, and that does not describe me. I have had close friends, and enjoyed their company. When my best friend died, I was extremely sad and could not control my emotions. I have not had anyone that I can point to as a close friend aside from my wife for several years, but it doesn't bother me much. Most people annoy or bore me, and I don't want to make an emotional connection. When family and acquaintances pass, I either don't feel anything or I deal with loss and just detach emotionally.

The one point of difference between me and most who have commented is that I am in my 60s and was never identified as having AS. I excelled in school and at work, but did not do well in interviews for promotions. So, while I have had a decent career, it is not what I hoped for.

In most respects, I am exactly like others who have commented.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom