• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Spectrum Neurotype

What name should come after "Autism Spectrum"?

• "Autism Spectrum Neurotype"

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Just stay as "Autism Spectrum"

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • "Autism Spectrum Brain"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Reply)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Any Name

• "Autism Spectrum Condition"

• Total voters
@Sarah S
You've just summed up very well why thousands of us all over the world are putting in the hours to educate, to conduct our own research and to change the minds of those who stand in judgement of us.

The name means everything. Anything with "disorder" in the name creates the impression of fault and deficit. That's why many horrible words to describe tangible impairments have been retired and are now regarded as hate speech. We've a long way to go yet, but changing the language used will be a significant step.

The current understanding of autism is highly flawed. When we were separated it was easy to dictate to us and be cast aside as dysfunctional, but then came the Internet and we started to talk. We realised we weren't the damaged freaks we'd been led to believe, we had plenty of things in common. Plenty of those commonalities aren't in the diagnostic manuals, and many of the things that are included are not well understood by those who don't experience them first hand.
Time and perseverance will change the way we are seen.

What more can i add then WELL spoken indeed my friend.

What i can add is i agree that just because were on the Spectrum/have other diagnosis dont mean we are idiots or should be treated as those with more serios diagnosis or more severe levels with co morbid diagnosis.

And also prior to me coming in here and learn more about my own diagnosis (incl that im ASD 3 :eek: according to said stipulated but not written in stone criterias ) i will admit i have met and talked to many of us in here. And in doing this i have also learnt so much about the enormous divercety within this spectrum as well as with all the diffent neuropsycological diagnosis and how they present them self (incl within said levels ) So although i still dont opose the disorder (actually over here its Autistic spectrum diagnose )

But i can also understand how said disorder that seems to be the " internationell" term can in some ways be viewed in the old and obsolete & false & incorrect interpetation of what disorder can mean.

ALL this said its still a fact that as long as ASD etc... Is still diagnosed under Disorder the best we can do is to teach those that dont have a diagnose that just because a certain diagnose also goes under disorder does NOT mean that were to be viewed or treated as we are idiots or should be treated as those with more serios diagnosis or more severe levels with co morbid diagnosis. We are all individuals & just as those not diagnosed we differ emensly within the ways we are able to funktion. & we are all entitled and should be treated with equal common respect as everyone else

Last edited:
It's totally a disorder. Just because you aren't that effected by it doesn't mean that people like us don't suffer heavily because of our condition. It's completely selfish to say it's not an disorder. Same goes for ADHD.
It's not really selfish if you're an autistic yourself and advocating for yourself. If autism came without the sensory issues, will it still be a disorder???

While I don't particularly like the word 'disorder', it doesn't offend me that people use it.

My suggestion would be 'autism spectrum condition' because 'condition' is a more neutral word that implies a state of being rather than a disorder.
Good idea! I can put Condition as a vote!

I think the main thing is that the general populace gets informed somehow that autism is not a mental illness. Mental illness are no more a person's fault than autism, but they are highly stigmatized in all cultures. I don't know that it necessarily needs to be renamed. We just need to educate people better and try to be more sensible and understanding in general as humans.

We just need to educate people better and try to be more sensible and understanding in general as humans.
The problem, as I have experienced it, is that severe co-morbids (like my ASD3 daughter [25yo] randomly biting people) ARE grievous and can be outright scary.

Or my ASD2 son (32yo) physically lashing out because someone dissed his favorite movie or TV show. But that isn't the autism (as many would believe); it is from a secondary condition that I would call post-autistic encephalopathy* [PAE?].

We don't all bite people indiscriminately.

*[Corrected term to standard terminology.]

Last edited:
The problem, as I have experienced it, is that severe co-morbids (like my ASD3 daughter [25yo] randomly biting people) ARE grievous and can be outright scary.

Or my ASD2 son (32yo) physically lashing out because someone dissed his favorite movie or TV show. But that isn't the autism (as many would believe); it is from a secondary condition that I would call post-autistic brain injury [PABI?].

I also have a son with ASD 3, I'm fully aware of the sorts of shenanigans they can get into. The thing is a lot of the behaviors can't be controlled, that's why education is crucial.

..., that's why education is crucial.
I consider my two previous examples to be outside of the scope of neuro-diversity.

ASD1s (at birth) are susceptible to PAE, but not every autistic gets that secondary condition (namely, grown ASD1s). And I think that it needs to be addressed separately, outside of the context of neuro-diversity.

It is just like how most people with sickle-cell anemia are black, but not every black person has SCA.

I champion neuro-diversity on two or three fronts, but I am on a crusade against PAE. I believe it to be responsible for SEE GRAPH.

Last edited:
As someone with ASD1 and TBI (migraines, memory issues, MDD) and also lupus and FMS -- I see certain behaviors as secondary to autism. I don't bite or hit anyone, and my depressions which borders on suicidal at times is not due to autism but secondary to it and to my illnesses. I think environmental and societal factors are at work, and in my case, many years of trauma and PTSD. I self-identify as an autistic person (or Aspergian), not a person with autism because autism is not a mental illness or a disease. I self-identify as a person with lupus because lupus is a disease and can kill me. I tend to be a separatist on the neurodiversity side, but that's my opinion.

Or my ASD2 son (32yo) physically lashing out because someone dissed his favorite movie or TV show. But that isn't the autism (as many would believe); it is from a secondary condition that I would call post-autistic brain injury [PABI?].

Yeah, I only bite if someone lays hands on me.

I vote autism should be labeled as Autism Spectrum Configuration.

Disorder suggests a defect.

My belief is most autistics suffer for having to conform to an NT’s world. If the majority were autistic, then it would be non-autistics that would be considered disordered.

It is argued that it is a disorder because autistics suffer for the condition. My observation is that everyone, including NT’s suffer for elements of their individuality. If everyone were NT’s, that would not eliminate suffering. If everyone were autistic, that would not eliminate suffering.

NT’s also have “disorders” that autistics generally do not have, but since NT’s are the majority, those “disorders” are not considered to be disorders of any type of person.

I have found there are substantial benefits to being autistic, however, as per human nature, we all tend to focus on the negative. Consideration of the benefits, even when substantial, is diluted by a strong negative bias.

I vote autism should be labeled as Autism Spectrum Configuration.

Disorder suggests a defect.

My belief is most autistics suffer for having to conform to an NT’s world. If the majority were autistic, then it would be non-autistics that would be considered disordered.

It is argued that it is a disorder because autistics suffer for the condition. My observation is that everyone, including NT’s suffer for elements of their individuality. If everyone were NT’s, that would not eliminate suffering. If everyone were autistic, that would not eliminate suffering.

NT’s also have “disorders” that autistics generally do not have, but since NT’s are the majority, those “disorders” are not considered to be disorders of any type of person.

I have found there are substantial benefits to being autistic, however, as per human nature, we all tend to focus on the negative. Consideration of the benefits, even when substantial, is diluted by a strong negative bias.
PREACH IT!

Lol sorry. But that's what I've been saying all along. Just different wording. I have trouble wording things.

PREACH IT!

Lol sorry. But that's what I've been saying all along. Just different wording. I have trouble wording things.
Thanks AuBurney Tuckerson,
Different wording is a good thing! Different wording helps broaden the communication.
Your wording is fine. Mine, nor anyone else's is not better or worse, just addition to.

New Threads

Top Bottom