• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism show: "As we see it"

Jordy

There is a new autism show that you can watch on amazon prime video. It's about the lifes of 3 autistic individuals (one with aspergers, asd2 and asd2/classic autism). They didn't overload each character with every single autistic trait but instead choose to spread them over 3 character, whom are portrayed actors that are autistic themselves. That being said it's still a tv show and as unrealistic as any tv show is, most noticeably the characters are get their happy endings and overcome their struggles, they learn from life, improve and overcome. But this just does not happen to a lot us, and we aren't nearly supported as well as these characters are. A lot adult aspies from 20-30 get almost no support, life either completely alone without a partner or still with their parents, don't have a supportive care taker and roomies they can relate to, suffer from depression and anxiety, don't find some unicorn woman that magically accepts them for who they are wants to be intimate with them and don't have a gifted intelligence. There is a good chance their parents aren't even fully aware of their limitations, they don't have the supportive dad or brother that looks out for them. This show portrays a just world fallacy where these characters, because they are good people and try to improve themselves overcome all their struggles, that's just not what happens in the real world, it's a very naive idea. In the real world you may keep trying at finding a partner, friends and job but keep failing, then you die (possibly even by suicide) and there is no good ending.

Also funny how this actor with asd behaves less autistic in real life than as a character on the show, despite having the same diagnosis as his character.

I see what you are saying with regards to shows like that, that could be not an accurate portrayal of the lifelong struggles that many of those with Autism face, who had not such good or better endings, but I am not sure how any producer will be able to please all there. I mean, yes, that producer likely wants the happier results showing those with Autism overcoming some adversity, as that sells and might be more well received, but the purpose of the show could have been mixing in many difficulties and truths, but not to overdo it to cause some backlash, making things even worse for them and/or their families; the show done so with more purpose to give many Autistics hope.

Had the video been mostly showing dysfunction and no success or ending happiness, others could have berated them for this reason, saying they were stereotyping negatively. Of course there are many with Autism with lifelong stories far worse than likely displayed, and so perhaps it's unfair to minimize what could be happening behind closed doors in those others' homes, workplaces and other settings for those persons, if this is what occurred in that show, but I am not sure how a more negative type of show would have helped much more than the current one? Would then any information or pity displayed for those with ASD lifelong struggles cause more benefit than harm, with regards to seeing us as weaker, more rigid, and/or less able to find happiness/success?

I tried to watch the show but I found it a struggle. I was particularly turned off by the Lilly character. She is portrayed like a nymphomaniac with very low cognative function.
There is no doubt that biology drives our sexual desire but, at least in the short term, Lilly came across as very two dimensional. Her character seemed more like a trope than a real person.

@phantom Off Topic, but that is one heck of an icon you have. Did I already ask if you painted it? I can't recall, but did you? It's stellar!

Sugar coat it, it's Disney on autism steroids. But at least somebody is trying to bring it to the masses. But as an insider, it's weird to be reminded of parts of myself. Not sure how to write the storyline of interest. I would be more interested in seeing people who have succeeded in jobs and relationships.

So this series must be the American remake of the Israeli series On The Spectrum?

Interesting and insicive points @phantom , but I would not say your take on living with autism is a typical one, either. To me your views often seem very negative in tone, which I think is due to depression, not autism. Depression can be helped with, so this is an important issue to be aware of.

I have been watching the show for only about 10 minutes, and the characters all show exaggerated traits in my opinion. For that reason I don’t find the show interesting.

As far as the idea that it is unrealistic to overcome struggles, learn from life, and be happy, I disagree. Sure the challenges are difficult, but you can learn, overcome, and be happy. You have to make a deliberate effort, not become horribly discouraged when you fail, and keep trying. Also it helps if your focus is on the present and future, and not focused on past struggles.

I also agree with @Thinx, that depression may account for a negative outlook. I have had periods of depression, and know that my perception of situations tends to be completely off when I am depressed. I take a low dose antidepressant which works well for me. If you find yourself feeling down or all of the time, you may have depression.

Thank you, @phantom, for that review. I have been wondering about that show, and appreciate all the details and aspects you covered.

Of course they’re going to Hollywood the heck out of it - drama, exaggerated situations, and always happy endings.

If the characters are sympathetic, maybe it’ll help with awareness and acceptance. I can hope, at least.

Also funny how this actor with asd behaves less autistic in real life than as a character on the show, despite having the same diagnosis as his character.

Makes me wonder if he’s masking.

Since posting my previous post in this thread, I've binge watched 7 out of the 8 episodes. I'll comment when I've completed them all.

A few initial thoughts:

Yes, the show is based on the Israeli show, On The Spectrum which I liked. The characters in that show experienced real and sometimes intense, uncomfortable and dangerous situations. They were not "Rain Man" characters or stereotypes.

This show, As We See It, loosely follows the plots of the original show; some of the episodes have the same plot lines as On The Spectrum, but it also leaves out some plots from the original and adds other new plot lines.

I would recommend watching On The Spectrum if you can find it. Don't watch the English dubbed version if you do; watch the Hebrew version with English subtitles.

A few basic observations/thoughts:

• Since autism is a spectrum, no show will likely ever accurately represent the entire spectrum of autism. Autistics on either end of the spectrum might say with any autistic focused show, "Why does it represent people that aren't like me?"
  • Unless a show demonizes, patronizes, infanticizes or maliciously parodies autism and if that same show tries very seriously to respect and accurately portray autism...I think it's better than having no autism focused content. I actually think As We See It has done a pretty good job. From the little I researched, it appears at least two of the main characters of the show are autistic in real life? Huge plus there if that's the case.

I'm more enthused about this show than I was about Atypical, that's for sure from an autism focused perspective. In regards to the main character, Sam Gardner on Atypical, that show barely, barely passed any muster and if it hadn't been for the inclusion of actual autistic actors in the second season (numerous such autistic actors make appearances in As We See It), the show would have been a failed attempt at portraying an autistic character well.

Update: I've watched the entire 1st Season of As We See It. While a lot of autism related films and the more rare TV shows may not do well or even fail quite badly at portraying people with autism accurately, I thought this show was one of the best so far that I've seen, and I've seen most autism related films and shows. It's a special interest of mine.

This series portrayed the three autistic characters as real people and not caricatures (e.g. Atypical). I would recommend that anyone watch the entire series and I'm glad it was made. The show respects the characters and their autism. The show and the supporting NT characters accept them for who they are and shows the good qualities each character has as they are rather than trying to turn them into NTs.

The main character Jack's relationship with his dad has similarities to the relationship I have with my dad.

Last edited:
I made comment on this show, back when it first dropped, in this thread: https://www.autismforums.com/posts/824334/

I stand by my comments there. I still think a show like this can do more harm than good, however well intentioned, as it presents a skewed view of what are very real symptoms. I dislike that they took those and ramped them up to the max.

Just my view of course.

I tried to watch the show but I found it a struggle. I was particularly turned off by the Lilly character. She is portrayed like a nymphomaniac with very low cognative function.
There is no doubt that biology drives our sexual desire but, at least in the short term, Lilly came across as very two dimensional. Her character seemed more like a trope than a real person.

Do you mean, Violet, @Suzanne ? The character, like the series overall is based on the original Israeli show, On The Spectrum. In that original series the female character Zohar is obsessed with having a boyfriend; Although Zohar understands the fact that adult romantic relationships invariably include sex and also desires that aspect, I would agree that the American version of the character, Violet, seems to be focused more on the sexual aspect or relationships. Is that a difference in culture overall?

Do you mean, Violet, @Suzanne ? The character, like the series overall is based on the original Israeli show, On The Spectrum. In that original series the female character Zohar is obsessed with having a boyfriend; Although Zohar understands the fact that adult romantic relationships invariably include sex and also desires that aspect, I would agree that the American version of the character, Violet, seems to be focused more on the sexual aspect or relationships. Is that a difference in culture overall?
She's so horny she becomes a danger to herself and her brother wants to send her off to some horse farm thing

@Magna
Oh yes, I did mean Violet. I only watched 1/2 of one show weeks ago. I couldn't continue because I disliked that character so intensely.

The original character being heavily focused on a boyfriend makes a lot more sense.

Even my developmentally disabled cousin, with the mind of a mere child and very low cognative function, understands relationship comes before the physical. She can't even wash her own hair and would never be able to work a fast food job. So to have Violet being so focused on sex is just insulting to autistic women in particular and to women more generally.

This is the harlot trope and it has been used in American media since the begining to dishonor and degrade women as merely "things". Shame on the writers! They certainly didn't put any effort into this character and seemed to go with the idea that the harlot trope is "funny" as a plot device.

@Magna
Oh yes, I did mean Violet. I only watched 1/2 of one show weeks ago. I couldn't continue because I disliked that character so intensely.

The original character being heavily focused on a boyfriend makes a lot more sense.

Even my developmentally disabled cousin, with the mind of a mere child and very low cognative function, understands relationship comes before the physical. She can't even wash her own hair and would never be able to work a fast food job. So to have Violet being so focused on sex is just insulting to autistic women in particular and to women more generally.

This is the harlot trope and it has been used in American media since the begining to dishonor and degrade women as merely "things". Shame on the writers! They certainly didn't put any effort into this character and seemed to go with the idea that the harlot trope is "funny" as a plot device.

The double standard is definitely at play here. Swap the sex of the characters and it would seem closer to reality that a young man at that age is often fixated on sex. I didn't think of the Violet character as a harlot.

The double standard is definitely at play here. Swap the sex of the characters and it would seem closer to reality that a young man at that age is often fixated on sex. I didn't think of the Violet character as a harlot.
I agree there is a double standard. The sex focus is a curious one too. Although I don't know other autistic women in person, the few I've come to know a bit on this site are focused on different things. Even the women with higher support needs are not primarily driven by satiating physical urges.

And now I'll speak from the place of my experience in tbe world.

It has been my experience that such chacterizations can make vulnerable women a target of preditors. A man may learn a young woman is autistic and use the chractization of Violet as justification to pressure than woman into sex she does not want.

If you are a decent person you may not believe me. But many young women will have had at least one experience exactly like that.

I agree there is a double standard. The sex focus is a curious one too. Although I don't know other autistic women in person, the few I've come to know a bit on this site are focused on different things. Even the women with higher support needs are not primarily driven by satiating physical urges.

And now I'll speak from the place of my experience in tbe world.

It has been my experience that such chacterizations can make vulnerable women a target of preditors. A man may learn a young woman is autistic and use the chractization of Violet as justification to pressure than woman into sex she does not want.

If you are a decent person you may not believe me. But many young women will have had at least one experience exactly like that.

That's precisely what the plot point is about: The danger, vulnerability and aftermath that can occur when a person is not cognizant of those dangers.

That's precisely what the plot point is about: The danger, vulnerability and aftermath that can occur when a person is not cognizant of those dangers.
Thanks for that. I know I am completely triggered by the character. But the writers could have been more sensitive ti their portraital of autistic women. (And maybe I need to chill and eat a cookie!)

I have been watching the show for only about 10 minutes, and the s far as the idea that it is unrealistic to overcome struggles, learn from life, and be happy, I disagree. Sure the challenges are difficult, but you can learn, overcome, and be happy. You have to make a deliberate effort, not become horribly discouraged when you fail, and keep trying. Also it helps if your focus is on the present and future, and not focused on past struggles.
Do you think it is possible for a mentally disabled person to overcome intellectual struggles if he tries hard enough? Is it possible for a person with no legs to learn how to walk? Those are just as unlikely as an autistic person overcoming their social disability. It sucks that life is about people and emotion, if you can't walk there is still so many ways you can enjoy those 2, but if you are socially and emotionally disabled there is nothing else you can do.

New Threads

Top Bottom