• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Diagnosis and No IEP at age 3

LarryB

Hi,

How common is it for an autistic child to receive no IEP when they turn 3? I know there are a lot of variables that go into this (both with the child's condition / progress and the State / Town's IEP history), but are there any generic stats out there? 50% receive something, 75%, 99%?

Thanks,
Larry

Um, I'm a bit surprised to have an IEP that early. But I'm not well-versed in IEP. Just how deep in the spectrum is the child? Was there any exposure to daycare for ordinary socialization and it didn't work?

Right, my question first would be: what would need to be in/on the IEP at 3 and in what context? [what program/facility would it be implemented?]

I've actually not heard of an IEP that young. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen because I'm certainly not a professional, but to have to push for it seems odd. <----in that assistance/accommodation is so obviously necessary that one wouldn't have to push for it or that, at 3 years old, there isn't a lot going on that one would push for it if it isn't extremely obvious.

I'm not familiar with that sort of situation.
This may be a question for Google.

If you have questions about this it should be taken up with the school counselor, and if necessary a legal advocate for the child and his or her parents. Why are you concerned at 3 - as I'd think it is a bit early for an IEP. Is the child in a federally funded school program?

New Threads

Top Bottom