• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Assumptions about autistic people

Just because I'm autistic, don't assume that I have a single obsessive interest and ignore everything else (I have multiple obsessive interests! ;))

Why is it that when we are interested in something, it's described as being "an obsession" (negative connotation), but if a 'normal' person has a hobby, interest or something similar, it's described as being a "passion", or just plain old "interest" (positive connotation)? There is also the belief held by many that we can only ever be interested (not "obsessed") in one single thing, like trains. I'm interested in just about everything, with the following exceptions: sport, gossip, celebrities, fashion, opera, the theatre, cars.

Don't assume that pause in my sentence is your cue to finish it and tell me what I'm thinking.

I'm just waiting for the 2nd layer to load and will have the remaining information to you just as soon as I've got it.

If you let me.

Otherwise,
I have to process what you've just said,

Compare it to what I wanted to say,

Look for similarities or differences,

Agree or disagree,

Try to find another way to describe what I mean in the hope you'll understand,

If you're mistaken, - (that's something I have to figure out)

So you don't interrupt again.

Don't assume that pause in my sentence is your cue to finish it and tell me what I'm thinking.

I'm just waiting for the 2nd layer to load and will have the remaining information to you just as soon as I've got it.

If you let me.

Otherwise,
I have to process what you've just said,

Compare it to what I wanted to say,

Look for similarities or differences,

Agree or disagree,

Try to find another way to describe what I mean in the hope you'll understand,

If you're mistaken, - (that's something I have to figure out)

So you don't interrupt again.

Sorrrrrrrrrrrry :oops:

Some people assume that all autistic people are touch-averse. I've met some who are, but then, here's me:

28350483.jpg
[/SP

New Threads

Top Bottom