• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Assumptions about autistic people

Don't assume repeating your sentence slower or louder at me will make my understanding of what you've just said any clearer.

I don't tell anyone unless it is necessary.
Therapists, doctors and the person I live with.
I didn't want to tell the person I live with, but, he kept talking about things I did differently to
most people he had known. Many times it would be something that he would get angry over.
So it was make it or break it time and I told him.
Our communications became better after that.

Exactly. Why would you tell anyone you’re autistic unless it were necessary? Of course people are going to make assumptions. Even autistic people make assumptions about other autistic people. Maybe a non-autistic person should come on here and add: Don’t assume I’m trying to be an a-hole if I make an assumption about you, especially one that I make in an attempt to be kind or helpful.

Don’t assume that because I’m quiet it means I’m stupid or a snob for not fitting in! It doesn’t help; just makes me want to withdraw even more.

Being autistic does not mean you can tell I'm autistic.

I typically don't share it, either. I really cannot see where it is anyone's business. The kind of treatment I expect is the same kind of treatment I would expect for anyone. You shouldn't treat me a certain way because I'm autistic, but because I'm HUMAN and YOU DON'T KNOW if I'm autistic OR WHAT.

The one that keeps catching me over the years: When I’m leaning back in my chair, it *doesn’t* mean I’m being arrogant, judgmental, or rude. I am listening, thinking, taking it in.

I can't help but be direct, to the point, and honest about... whatever, when someone asks me with a straight face, "I want your honest opinion about (fill in the blank)", so don't assume I am, or call me, "rude" because of this. I am not rude. You are, when you make unjustified assumptions about me based upon a superficial assessment, or when you expect me to LIE to you when you have clearly stated you want an honest opinion. If you want me to lie, then just say something like, "I'm about to tell you that I want your honest opinion on something, but I really don't. I want you to lie to me, and pretend you are being honest. That way my fragile ego, my precious feelings, won't get hurt. Okay?" There, simple!

Being autistic doesn't make the phone book preferred reading material. Or make you care about how many yellow cars you saw in a row one morning.

Although, if you DID see a whole row of yellow cars (say, five of them at the petrol station) that would be interesting, because it would be so unusual, and one might start to wonder if there had been a "glitch in the Matrix" as some people these days like to put it.

New Threads

Top Bottom