• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Assessment/Diagnosis path

Vaegrant

So, I joined about a week ago and said that I am undiagnosed but I suspect that I am on the spectrum. I have been talking to my therapist about it and she agrees that I show signs but she doesn't claim to be qualified to make any official statement on that subject (great lady, my therapist). She gave me the name of a psychiatrist to contact who specializes in adult diagnosis.

So, I called the doctor she referred me to. The doctor says that she gives diagnosis for educational purposes. I asked her what she meant by that. She said that her diagnosis is for use in university settings and that if I need a diagnosis for work or lifestyle then she can give me someone else's name. Ok, thank you, I said.

So, I checked the next lady's website. This lady doesn't take insurance and charges $250 an hour. Yeah, I didn't call her.

Next I checked out the internet. Why I didn't do that to begin with is beyond me.

Apparently there is a very nice Autism Center at UCSF right here in the Bay. So, I called my insurance to see if I should even bother calling intake. To my surprise, something went right. They just started covering autism this year (thank you DSM V?). Of course, the intake office was closed by the time I was able to call them, but I have a clear direction now.

Also, I took the RAADS test and scored 218 so that strengthened my resolve that I need to get this taken care of.

I'll update this thread as the journey continues.

Just make sure that the person does Adult diagnosis for women. Because so often those of us that female get told that we are not on the spectrum because we don't act like the boys.

New Threads

Top Bottom