• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Using Different Accents

LOL...I know what you mean. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah she got that Oscar for "Norma Rae". Can't say I "really, really liked her" though in that role. She was a little too much. Or as Mrs. Gump. So sue me. :p

[/QUOTE

Apparently Burt "really, really like her" for quite a while. :p

Sorry, I have short attention span today. Am babysitting a 3 y/o grandchild with very sticky lunch fingers clinging to my legs. WASH UP AND NAP TIME (mostly for MY benefit).

Shaw is a great actor, always entertaining to watch.

I totally understand about watching Steel Magnolias only once. Once was enough for me, too. LOL . Sally Fields is best handled in small doses but the rest of the cast is good.
never knew Robert shaw was English I presumed he was American died so young comparatively

I still chuckle a bit when recalling James Cromwell's portrayal of a very pissy Prince Philip in "The Queen". Not sure how the Brits liked it or not. I know there was a lot of dissent over Meryl Streep's role as Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady". Though I've not seen this film. (Chuckie and I aren't fans of Maggie.)

Pity they couldn't have cast Helen Mirren in that one. Another Brit who can do all kinds of accents, apart from being a brilliant actress. One of my favorites. As is Ralph Fiennes for many of the same reasons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have short attention span today. Am babysitting a 3 y/o grandchild with very sticky lunch fingers clinging to my legs. WASH UP AND NAP TIME (mostly for MY benefit).
wish I could do that ,one of the cats insists on living outside through the daytime !and he is very nervous !so he will sit below the window and cry if he wants to come in or he will cry for me to come to the door so he can walk past the Open door ,I can be doing this every five minutes ,if he decides,Then he’ll disappear then all of a sudden i’ll hear him crying again.Then I’ve got to adjust his diet he has to have a lot of treats because he lives outside and burns a huge amount of calories then it changes again when he sleeps inside the house at night my house is like a pet shop if you can think of a food I have got it, i’ve taken a break .

I can't do a different accent other than my own and I don't even know what my accent is. Grew up in Ohio where everyone said I sounded southern, but when we would be in Virginia visiting relatives or when we moved there when I was 15, they all said I had a northern accent. I raised my kids in NC and none of them have a southern accent either. I'm kind of glad, though. :) I don't know what you would call their accent either.

So while we're at it, American friends - how don't be Skarsgaards muster up on the US accents? and how about Chris Hemsworth?

So while we're at it, American friends - how don't be Skarsgaards muster up on the US accents? and how about Chris Hemsworth?

Which Skarsgaards? :confused: I only know of Gustav as "Floki" in "Vikings". But I know his English is much better off camera in interviews when it comes to that particular series. Stellan Skarsgård always seems to have an accent, at least in the films I've seen him in.

The last film I saw Chris Hemsworth in was "Rush". Aussie doing a Brit accent. But I've seen Liam in a few other films in the past few years with an American accent. Seemed ok.

Last edited:
Chris Hemsworth played a Texan in the reboot of Vacation. Just curious. Alexander Skarsgaard was in True Blood and Bill Skarsgaard has been in quite a few US shows and movies as well as being Penny-wise in the current It movies.

And my wife and I LOVE Floki! Wonderful character and Gustaf is a damned good actor.

Chris Hemsworth played a Texan in the reboot of Vacation. Just curious. Alexander Skarsgaard was in True Blood and Bill Skarsgaard has been in quite a few US shows and movies as well as being Penny-wise in the current It movies.

And my wife and I LOVE Floki! Wonderful character and Gustaf is a damned good actor.

LOL...Oh yeah- THAT Bill. I just heard about Bill in some promos for the sequel to "It". But yeah, I haven't seen any of those films.

Bummer to think this next season for "Vikings" will be the last. I will miss it terribly.

I only notice some Aspies speaking in an American accent. Some do also have odd infliction in their local accents too.

With regards to this link (below) there are some service users at the aspergers centre I attend who use accents which they didn't receive from being from a place and growing up there, i.e. using an USA accent when they have never lived or visited the US. Anyone else noticed this?

G70 Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) in Association with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). A New Syndrome?

I've been asked where I'm from on numerous occasions as I apparently have an accent that most people attribute to me being from the US, New Zealand or Australia.

I thought this was because I worked with Czechs and Slovaks for five years and/or was because of exposure to US TV.

With regards to this link (below) there are some service users at the aspergers centre I attend who use accents which they didn't receive from being from a place and growing up there, i.e. using an USA accent when they have never lived or visited the US. Anyone else noticed this?

G70 Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) in Association with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). A New Syndrome?

...I've always wondered --- what is a generic " American accent " to British - or other Anglosphere - people? I guess an " actor on TV " accent, but (And I see little modern US TV, so...:()........???
Kind of Southern Californian? I once heard it said about 20th Century US TV hosts Walter Cronkite (news) and Johnny Carson (light entertainment-talk);that they, both prarie Midwesterners/Nebrasans of German descent,
IIRC, we're kind of examples of " ideal " TV voices to American network s...in the America of fifty years ago, I guess, and hosts, not actors.
Ni've sometimes thought my accent is both a little too " New York " and a little too " WASP " (could it be both???) for TV producers' ideas, if I was ever in that position...maybe not.

...I've always wondered --- what is a generic " American accent " to British - or other Anglosphere - people? I guess an " actor on TV " accent, but (And I see little modern US TV, so...:()........???
Kind of Southern Californian? I once heard it said about 20th Century US TV hosts Walter Cronkite (news) and Johnny Carson (light entertainment-talk);that they, both prarie Midwesterners

Good question in terms of the perception of accents.

IMO Australian actors Jesse Spencer (Chicago FD) and Alex O'Loughlin (Hawaii Five-O) seem to do excellent jobs at generic American accents. I only learned recently that Jesse was an Aussie, having watched an old episode of "House". (Knew Hugh Laurie was English.) On the other hand I've heard actors like Mark Rylance on occasion (The Bridge) betray his English origins.

Then again, Irish actor A.J. Buckley blows me away cleverly playing a grizzled Texan on the tv series "Seal Team".

One thing about Americans, is that migration to other parts of the country can and does take its toll on one's regional accent when it comes to personalities like Carson and Cronkite. More often than not, my Tidewater accent doesn't pop up unless I'm tired, angry or come into contact with other Southerners. Though its funny on occasion to use it in the presence of my fellow Nevadans. Westerners tend to not be so used to hearing other accents indicative of other parts of the country. Growing up in Northern Virginia I heard a lot of accents both north and south. So many military and government workers in the greater Washington area from all parts of the country.

I'm still stoked about learning more of the nuances that separate the Aussies from the Kiwis. Something up to now I never particularly noticed! :cool:

Last edited:
Kind of Southern Californian? I once heard it said about 20th Century US TV hosts Walter Cronkite (news) and Johnny Carson (light entertainment-talk);that they, both prarie Midwesterners/Nebrasans of German descent,
IIRC, we're kind of examples of " ideal " TV voices to American network s...in the America of fifty years ago, I guess, and hosts, not actors.
Ni've sometimes thought my accent is both a little too " New York " and a little too " WASP " (could it be both???) for TV producers' ideas, if I was ever in that position...maybe not.

The type of “American” accent I hear off these aspies is of the nerdy variety that you would hear gamers speak with.

I have visited America four times and am familiar with the main accents. I can pick out an inland Great Lakes area accent i.e Michigan and Rochester. They really exaggerate everything they pronounce.

I can also pick out a southern accent, although not very well as I just learned that they speak like this in southern Ohio which is very far north.

Same with New Jersey and Boston. Although I cannot tell the difference between a north jersey and nyc accent.

I am terrible with picking out West Coast accents.

Trisha Paytas also has a bit of a weird accent (and her family). The way she says “bag” is particularly noticeable. Baiiig.

I know you don’t care about how well I can detect American accents but I just wanted to illustrate that we do know what they sound like. We are much more familiar with your accents than you are ours and most of us can detect the main regional accents.

Does anyone think that Greta Thunberg has a bit of an American twang too?

Last edited:
For ex, this English girl has a bit of an American twang to her accent:

She is southern English but this twang is very noticeable.

Versus a normal southern English accent:

Last edited:
She is southern English but this twang is very noticeable.

Interesting. It does seem odd that she uses the word "like" much too often, as do many Americans. Or is this relatively normal for her generation?

When I visited Amsterdam a few years back I was amazed at how many locals spoke with American accents. Plenty didn't but a great many did.

As to British/American actors being unconvincing aping each other's accents - there's a surprising amount of British actors now working in the US which have been a surprise both to us and Americans that they're not American themselves. Some have been not so good. There seem to be a lot more Brits working in the US than vice versa though.

Recently we had kiwi Karl Urban fooling Americans in Almost Human and the JJ Star Trek movies, but being the worst cockney ever in The Boys. I can remember being surprised how authentic Robert Downey Jr sounded in the Sherlock Holmes movies he did and reading Americans commenting online on what a convincing Australian accent Mel Gibson had in the Mad Max movies... erm...

So...I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it on here before, but can anyone identify the town I grew up in from my accent?

You sound like you’re from Yorkshire. Maybe Leeds or Middlesbrough.

Interesting. It does seem odd that she uses the word "like" much too often, as do many Americans. Or is this relatively normal for her generation?

I don’t know. I just notice the American twang to her accent.

I don’t know. I just notice the American twang to her accent.

Yes, when she spoke at a faster tempo she did seem to lose her native accent somewhat. At least that's what I thought I was hearing. I just don't think I recall hearing anyone across the pond using the word "like" so much. Hmmm. :confused:

New Threads

Top Bottom