• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Using Different Accents

One thing I do wonder about is whether some of these actors who so routinely do quality foreign accents eventually change their own manner of speaking. Especially if most of their work is often in another country.
I bet they do.

I forgot to mention a guy on the tv show "SEAL Team". His name is A.J. Buckley who plays a grizzled Texan.

He was born in Ireland and raised in Canada. Not an American at all. :p

Well done, A.J.!

People used to think I was british but it was based on some small pronunciations I would make (I'm Australian). Nothing big.
I continue to pick up small pronunciation differences if I spend a lot of time with people who have an accent different to my own one. Though I try to be aware now and limit it because I feel that many NT's would feel this is not a positive thing (weird, taking someone else's culture etc etc) and it's made me quite self-conscious about it even though I myself was never aware previously. It's now another thing about myself that I have to be aware of and worry about, I guess.
People also used to ask if I was from the country. I wasn't. I talked slowly compared to those from the capitals, apparently.
I can completely understand how, through mimicry, your accent could change considerably. I would imagine that for some people with Autism this is much more likely to happen than for other people.

Interesting!

On occasion I've mistaken those who were Australian for being British. The one thing I recall was that the tempo of their speech seemed a bit slow. Made it more difficult for me to pick up on the more telltale signs of an Australian accent. Does that make any sense? Just wondering.

At times I've heard Cate Blanchett speak so softly that she sounded more posh-English than Australian.

I also recall Australian actress Anna Torv from "Fringe" who also spoke with a flawless American English accent.

So, did Mel Gibson simply rediscover his native 12-year old American accent when he began working in the states, or was this something he worked on with voice coaches? I'm guessing his father probably never acquired an Australian accent.

In the tv miniseries "Spartacus" I seem to recall that Lucy Lawless abandoned her Aussie accent for something closer to mild English. So did Dustin Clare and Viva Bianca. And Manu Bennett didn't seem to sound like much of a Kiwi either.

Not sure if I ever heard Bryan Brown truly speak more like a Brit though. Been a long time since I saw "Breaker Morant". Another interesting accent is South African Sharlto Copley, though I've never heard him speak outside his native accent. (Elysium,District 9) Charlize Theron is probably the most famous South African actress, but she's amazing and can probably do just about any accent. As can Daniel Day-Lewis.

LOL, sorry everybody. I just find this skill among actors to be fascinating! :cool:

Last edited:
At times I've heard Cate Blanchett speak so softly that she sounded more posh-English than Australian.
I think she has lived in England for a while and her husband is English...her accent may have softened through that.

Not sure if I ever heard Bryan Brown truly speak more like a Brit though.
He would be a hard nut to crack, accent wise.

On occasion I've mistaken those who were Australian for being British.
I haven't done that with live people :) but when I'm watching movies or tv I sometimes get confused and have to ask someone to be sure - are they a New Zealander? An Australian? British? Or, if I have no one to ask I soon work it out myself. But it's purely with screen watching and I suppose it's just because I watch a lot of tv and in that realm I'm used to hearing many different accents and not giving it too much thought. Also, I never get confused between American and the above mentioned.

A lot of people have told me they can't identify my accent.
They sometimes ask where I am from originally.
I've lived from the west coast to mid-west then the southeast coast.
Maybe it's because I've lived from coast to coast and it's a mix of different regions.

Strangely enough though, there have been times my voice must change and I'm not aware of it.
Some think I am from Sussex. What's different about Sussex?
I don't know when I sound like some type of British to people who don't know me.
Never lived there or around anyone from there. :oops:

A lot of people have told me they can't identify my accent.
They sometimes ask where I am from originally.
I've lived from the west coast to mid-west then the southeast coast.
Maybe it's because I've lived from coast to coast and it's a mix of different regions.

Strangely enough though, there have been times my voice must change and I'm not aware of it.
Some think I am from Sussex. What's different about Sussex?
I don't know when I sound like some type of British to people who don't know me.
Never lived there or around anyone from there. :oops:
what appears to connect people from the south of any country is a drawl Southwest England can sound like the USA so can Australia ,France ,Spain ,Sussex in Southeast England is more unusual .

Interesting!

On occasion I've mistaken those who were Australian for being British. The one thing I recall was that the tempo of their speech seemed a bit slow. Made it more difficult for me to pick up on the more telltale signs of an Australian accent. Does that make any sense? Just wondering.

I also recall Australian actress Anna Torv from "Fringe" who also spoke with a flawless American English accent.

So, did Mel Gibson simply rediscover his native 12-year old American accent when he began working in the states, or was this something he worked on with voice coaches? I'm guessing his father probably never acquired an Australian accent.

In the tv miniseries "Spartacus" I seem to recall that Lucy Lawless abandoned her Aussie accent for something closer to mild English. So did Dustin Clare and Viva Bianca. And Manu Bennett didn't seem to sound like much of a Kiwi either.

Not sure if I ever heard Bryan Brown truly speak more like a Brit though. Been a long time since I saw "Breaker Morant". Another interesting accent is South African Sharlto Copley, though I've never heard him speak outside his native accent. (Elysium,District 9) Charlize Theron is probably the most famous South African actress, but she's amazing and can probably do just about any accent. As can Daniel Day-Lewis.

LOL, sorry everybody. I just find this skill among actors to be fascinating! :cool:
To clarify Lucy Lawless is from New Zealand accent their is different from the Australian accent .

I quote :'There are documented cases (not just autistic) where the child in question has learned to speak from repetitive watching of foreign TV/movies rather than from their parents. Their accent consequently matches the source. We get A Lot of American TV in the UK. My own generation more or less grew up on Hanna Barbera cartoons, for instance'

thanks for your reply, I've never met anyone who is not on the autistic spectrum using different accents.
I do have an accent I have a Fife accent I have been told from different people who are from the Lothians where I live now.

To clarify Lucy Lawless is from New Zealand accent their is different from the Australian accent .

Yes, I had forgotten that, and it's only been recently that I discovered that she even was a Kiwi and not an Aussie. Learned it in watching a short documentary on the making of "Spartacus". I must admit, that's a particular distinction in accents that I'm still not apt to pick up on. :oops:

But then I wonder how many Brits could distinguish someone from Virginia versus Georgia? I still chuckle at Andrew Lincoln's wavering accent in "The Walking Dead". ;)

I'm also reminded of another Kiwi, actor Martin Henderson. Though I can't even recall ever hearing him speak in his native accent, but only as an American character in film and television. Most recently in the tv series "Grey's Anatomy".

I have also heard Aussie Toni Collette speak in her native accent, yet she's completely convincing in American film and television with an American accent. So many non-American actors effectively portraying American characters. But if you are a professional so dedicated to your craft, you go where the work and the money is.

I wonder if Daryl Hannah has ever done an accent in a particular film role? One of the very few well known actors who is on the spectrum of autism. I figure "Splash" doesn't count, unless she was speaking some kind of coastal dialect. :p

Last edited:
One of my favorite actors, Sam Neill from New Zealand, I think, gave convincing performances as a Russian in The Hunt for Red October and as a German in one of the Indiana Jones movies. He imposes a Russian or German accent on English which raises the question of successful mimicked accents to another level - layer upon layer.

Hey, Judge - Daryl Hannah nailed a southern accent in Steel Magnolias which is pretty hard to do unless one grew up around southerners. There are always little subtleties of southern pronunciations that only a southern trained ear can detect. ;)

One of my favorite actors, Sam Neill from New Zealand, I think, gave convincing performances as a Russian in The Hunt for Red October and as a German in one of the Indiana Jones movies. He imposes a Russian or German accent on English which raises the question of successful mimicked accents to another level - layer upon layer.

Hey, Judge - Daryl Hannah nailed a southern accent in Steel Magnolias which is pretty hard to do unless one grew up around southerners. There are always little subtleties of southern pronunciations that only a southern trained ear can detect. ;)

LOL...Cool. I was thinking about Steel Magnolias, but I just couldn't recall how she actually sounded. Been too long since I once saw it. And of course, she's no Southerner by birth.

Sam Neill....there's another Kiwi who has done countless American and British roles over the years. Though I don't recall him in any of the Indiana Jones films. He did play Dr. Allen Grant in Jurassic Park.

Yes, I had forgotten that, and it's only been recently that I discovered that she even was a Kiwi and not an Aussie. Learned it in watching a short documentary on the making of "Spartacus". I must admit, that's a particular distinction in accents that I'm still not apt to pick up on. :oops:

But then I wonder how many Brits could distinguish someone from Virginia versus Georgia? I still chuckle at Andrew Lincoln's wavering accent in "The Walking Dead". ;)

I'm also reminded of another Kiwi, actor Martin Henderson. Though I can't even recall ever hearing him speak in his native accent, but only as an American character in film and television. Most recently in the tv series "Grey's Anatomy".

I have also heard Aussie Toni Collette speak in her native accent, yet she's completely convincing in American film and television with an American accent. So many non-American actors effectively portraying American characters. But if you are a professional so dedicated to your craft, you go where the work and the money is.

I wonder if Daryl Hannah has ever done an accent in a particular film role? One of the very few well known actors who is on the spectrum of autism. I figure "Splash" doesn't count, unless she was speaking some kind of coastal dialect. :p
Daryl Hannah like a lot of the neuro divergent actors has got sick of it I think ,they all seem to become directors, i’m sure the British actor Robert Pattinson is neuro divergent I think he’s going that way to become a director ,when you see him in outtakes he always seems to be tripping over ,You may have heard the running joke between Australians about kiwis ,Australians say kiwis can’t even say sex they say six instead.

LOL...Cool. I was thinking about Steel Magnolias, but I just couldn't recall how she actually sounded. Been too long since I once saw it. And of course, she's no Southerner by birth.

Sam Neill....there's another Kiwi who has done countless American and British roles over the years. Though I don't recall him in any of the Indiana Jones films.

Doesn't Sam Neill's face melt off when Indy found the ark of the covenant in a cave or chamber in the first movie? I'm lazy or I'd google it. LOL.

Daryl Hannah like a lot of the neuro divergent actors has got sick of it I think ,they all seem to become directors, i’m sure the British actor Robert Pattinson is neuro divergent I think he’s going that way to become a director ,when you see him in outtakes he always seems to be tripping over ,You may have heard the running joke between Australians about kiwis ,Australians say kiwis can’t even say sex they say six instead.

Robert Pattinson? Hmmmm. Interesting. Haven't heard that before.

The more I think of it I'm completely dense when it comes to distinguishing a Kiwi from an Aussie on speech alone. I just never gave it much thought. I'll have to spend more time on this subject!

Doesn't Sam Neill's face melt off when Indy found the ark of the covenant in a in the cave or chamber in the first movie? I'm lazy or I'd google it. LOL.

Nope. The guy playing the Gestapo agent was someone else. And the man playing "Belloq" was Paul Freeman.

Funny to recall his native guide was a very young Alfred Molina. Another Brit, despite his name or looks.

Doesn't Sam Neill's face melt off when Indy found the ark of the covenant in a cave or chamber in the first movie? I'm lazy or I'd google it. LOL.
Two British actors play the Nazis,I think sam Neil was committed to Reilly ace of spies at the time, so Paul Freeman the British actor got the part of the Nazi maybe it’s because everything was made at pinewood .

Two British actors play the Nazis,I think sam Neil was committed to Reilly ace of spies at the time, so Paul Freeman the British actor got the part of the Nazi maybe it’s because everything was made at pinewood .

Funny I also recall yet another British actor in the cast who plays all sorts of nationalities.

-Michael Byrne, who played the Nazi officer always trying to catch Dr. Jones. The one where in the third movie Dr. Jones ejects him from the Hindenburg. "No ticket!" :p

And then there's Robert Shaw...playing Brits, New Englanders and Germans.

I even remember seeing Robert Shaw in a cameo role in "The Dambusters" (1955).

So many of these people out there when you start to think about it. :cool:

Last edited:
Nope. The guy playing the Gestapo agent was someone else. And the man playing "Belloq" was Paul Freeman.

Funny to recall his native guide was a very young Alfred Molina. Another Brit, despite his name or looks.

Ah ha. I stand corrected!

Funny I also recall yet another British actor in the cast who plays all sorts of nationalities.

-Michael Byrne, who played the Nazi officer always trying to catch Dr. Jones. The one where in the third movie Dr. Jones ejects him from the Hindenburg. "No ticket!" :p

And then there's Robert Shaw...playing Brits, New Englanders and Germans.

I even remember seeing Robert Shaw in a cameo role in "The Dambusters" (1955).

So many of these people out there when you start to think about it. :cool:

Shaw is a great actor, always entertaining to watch.

I totally understand about watching Steel Magnolias only once. Once was enough for me, too. LOL . Sally Fields is best handled in small doses but the rest of the cast is good.

Once was enough for me, too. LOL . Sally Fields is best handled in small doses

LOL...I know what you mean. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah she got that Oscar for "Norma Rae". Can't say I "really, really liked her" though in that role. She was a little too much. Or as Mrs. Gump. So sue me. :p

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom