• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Central Will Be Changing Names Soon

just looked at the previous owners site it was funny seeing athletic apparel come up on the landing page
Aspies Central is growing up and growing up fast. With that growth comes an opportunity to broaden our reach in the Autism spectrum.

We have managed to purchase a VERY nice domain name: autismforums.com

We are really excited as this will allow us to rank much higher in search engines and provide an easy to remember, to the point domain name.

As soon as the domain name is in our hands we will be switching over to the new name. A few points to make:
  • All aspiescentral.com urls will work. No need to update any bookmarks
  • The site will still look the same, except for a new logo.
We are considering allowing members the chance to offer input on the new logo so stay tuned for that.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here!

I share the concerns of @Ambi and @Sabrina. I have experienced first hand how ignorant the broader medical community can be about AS/HFA. Many of the pediatricians and primary care doctors responsible for referrals don't understand that Aspies can present very different symptoms than those of traditional autism. I understand that psychology is continually developing and currently views Asperger's Syndrome as one part of a much larger spectrum, but the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet. This site is a great resource for those who are misunderstood and/or dismissed, but are on the spectrum nonetheless.

I think a pinned thread above or below the rules and guidelines in the welcome section of the forums that explains the autism spectrum would be a great addition going forward. Someone who doesn't know that Asperger's Syndrome and High Functioning Autism mean the same thing might dismiss this site as irrelevant if they are looking for information/support specific to AS. A quick explanation of terminology would go a long way for new-comers, especially since terminology varies on either side of the pond. A sub-forum dedicated to AS/HFA would also be greatly appreciated. Some aspects of autism are more universal than others. Having a place to discuss the less universal aspects that are more prevalent at the "higher" end of the spectrum would be beneficial. That being said, an LFA sub-forum might not be a bad idea either, especially for parents with low functioning children.

I know inclusion can be a good thing, since it will bring more people to the table to bounce ideas off of. We can learn from those who aren't at our exact spot on the spectrum. I am also mature enough to know the world doesn't revolve around me, so I can't expect an online forum to be catered to my exact wants. I'm just concerned that the people this site was originally created to help will miss it.

I would be remiss if I did not recognize the hard work our site administrators and moderators do to keep this place free of garbage. Thank you for your diligence in keeping Aspies Central a safe resource. Your work has not gone unnoticed and I know you will keep it up going forward. As for the logo, definitely keep the rainbow circle. Merely rewording the title and subtitle would work well.

As this thread is very important, as the decisions being made could mean a big difference to the comfort levels of the current members and any future members, I will just give my opinion.

First of all, after being a regular poster for about two and a half months, I have seen how great Aspies Central: Aspergers & Autism Community is. I thus have full trust in Brent and the moderators to do the right things, with regards to any name changes and growth, and after they hear the messages in this thread from the members.

In my opinion, this does not have to be about quantity versus quality, as in this case they are mutually exclusive. There are small groups and forums that are awful, neutral and great, and large ones that are superb and horrendous, or in-between, too. It all depends on that founder and moderators, and so I have no problem with trying to expand for other reasons, as I feel the founder and moderators have been extremely fair, knowledgeable, proactive and dedicated, and their forum will always be special whatever they decide.

It is impossible for any forum or group to please all the members. Changes are scary, too, as we have seen daily with our two Autistic children, but sometimes trying new things is important. With change comes learning or growth sometimes. I personally do not choose an online forum or group because of the name of it, as that seems superficial to me, and if it is too exclusive it could remind me of a clique, like the bullies at school who felt they were better than the rest. There are great non-Aspies and non-Autistic who are empathetic to Aspie issues, and who believe in supporting, assisting and need to learn about such issues.

This forum as it is now is not just for those with Aspergers, and if you look at the makeup of the group, so please understand that and do not let that Aspie Central main name mislead you, as currently this is for the Autism community too according to the site. But, what does an Aspergers and Autism community mean to you all? Only those medically diagnosed with such? Those self-diagnosed, too? What about those who have many signs and symptoms of such? Does this community and the future community include the caregivers, friends and significant others of those persons with such conditions? Or let's push them out or into a corner?

There are pros and cons to both small and large groups. That is obvious. Please trust Brent and the moderators that growth does not equate to a lack of safeness or friendliness, but could also lead to more with such conditions and their supporters to being more understood, supported, appreciated or assisted. I personally only choose being a member of a group that relates much to me or family, and that would include similar others too who relate. If the founder and majority here ever wants to make it just an Aspergers community, I have no problem with that, as that is their right. That community would not be for I and my sons in the future, but I would wish them well. I would then just search elsewhere, or just create my own one day when I have more time; one that is inclusive of any who relates to Autism and Aspergers in any way, but with great moderation, too. Right now I do not have the time though, as we are homeschooling our kids until next mid May.

I hope I do not offend any here, but like those on the Spectrum, I always tell the truth as I see it, and do not always have to be politically correct. I have my own beliefs that may differ from yours, but I respect that. But, I see those with an Aspergers diagnosis or who feel they have that condition instead of Autism, as not being better than those who are labeled as Autistic or who see themselves with Autism or ASD. I see those on the lower end and middle of the spectrum as just as great as those with Aspergers, and just as safe and friendly as those with Aspergers, too, and just as deserving of support and safety. They may show and express this in different ways, but that is how I truly feel. I value and appreciate any who relates in any way to Autism-related issues. So, I personally do not believe in excluding those with Autism from those with Aspergers, and as currently in the US medical community there is no distinction, and as those with Autism are excluded enough in society as well, including their families.

Admittedly, I get mixed messages from persons here, and likely because those on the spectrum can be so different, which is cool, so it will be hard for any member too to always reply precisely. For instance, many are okay with self-diagnoses, but many are not. Many respect and trust medical opinion, whereas others seem neutral, or think doctors are quacks. Some here are ok with or want change, but others do not. Some want support, others want to learn, and others want to make friends or find a significant other, or a combination, and these desires could change at a moments notice, too.. Some want opinions about their relationship with one on the spectrum, or even opinion on what diagnosis they could have, to supplement their research and own opinions. But, with regards to those who think only doctors have all the answers, again, by that theory everyone in the US in this forum has Autism Spectrum Disorder then, and not Aspergers, according to the DSM-5, as the medical psychiatric and psychological establishments now says Aspergers diagnosis does not exist.

Actually, we as parents are proud to tell others our children have Autism, and I as a parent look forward to replying back in persons to any warped thinking about what Autism means, to educate them. And we are proud that we are not labeling our children as having Aspergers just so as they could possibly be accepted by some in society more. I will not let our sons be seen as Aspergers just because some societal members may think those persons are less dysfunctional or cooler. So, my only suggestion is, if the new forum ever changes to just for those with Aspergers and excludes and pushes away those with Autism and their families and significant others, then please consider not using that colorful wheel anymore, as the wheel then should be one color, and not symbolic of a rainbow of colors of persons along the spectrum if you are not including them.

But, in summary, nothing I have heard from Brent and his vision so far has concerned me. If anything, I think it is a great thing, not only what he has done with his wonderful efforts and commitment, but with his plans for the future, too, to help more, and based on the moderation team that is here that has graciously put so much time and efforts here to without much appreciation. Again, no matter what Brent and his staff chooses, there will be some that come and go. A great founder often has to do things for the benefit of the majority, and not obsess about those losses as that was their choice to go. I feel with greater forum exposure, more Autistic persons will join where they can learn, and get something from the site that will benefit them. The unselfish thing is to want to help more others, if that is the main reason for the growth. I am sorry if that statement offends, but without bias, this is how I truly feel, after analyzing both sides to things and after empathizing also with those who love small forums for comfort, and thinking about many other nice and friendly Autistics and Aspergers persons and their families who do not yet know about this forum and which could provide benefit by name change.

I have faith that Brent and his staff know how to help out more with such Autistic issues, by getting more members, but to still make things comfortable and friendly. As a person that personally prefers very small groups, and even just one-to-one communication because of social anxiety issues, and mistrust issues, and as I my entire life avoided groups of persons, even I can see how the friendliest and most caring thing to do is to try to bring in more persons needing of support and direction, etc, but at the same time to keep up the great moderation to make sure safety measures are in place.

I share the concerns of @Ambi and @Sabrina. I have experienced first hand how ignorant the broader medical community can be about AS/HFA. Many of the pediatricians and primary care doctors responsible for referrals don't understand that Aspies can present very different symptoms than those of traditional autism. I understand that psychology is continually developing and currently views Asperger's Syndrome as one part of a much larger spectrum, but the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet. This site is a great resource for those who are misunderstood and/or dismissed, but are on the spectrum nonetheless.

I think a pinned thread above or below the rules and guidelines in the welcome section of the forums that explains the autism spectrum would be a great addition going forward. Someone who doesn't know that Asperger's Syndrome and High Functioning Autism mean the same thing might dismiss this site as irrelevant if they are looking for information/support specific to AS. A quick explanation of terminology would go a long way for new-comers, especially since terminology varies on either side of the pond. A sub-forum dedicated to AS/HFA would also be greatly appreciated. Some aspects of autism are more universal than others. Having a place to discuss the less universal aspects that are more prevalent at the "higher" end of the spectrum would be beneficial. That being said, an LFA sub-forum might not be a bad idea either, especially for parents with low functioning children.

I know inclusion can be a good thing, since it will bring more people to the table to bounce ideas off of. We can learn from those who aren't at our exact spot on the spectrum. I am also mature enough to know the world doesn't revolve around me, so I can't expect an online forum to be catered to my exact wants. I'm just concerned that the people this site was originally created to help will miss it.

I would be remiss if I did not recognize the hard work our site administrators and moderators do to keep this place free of garbage. Thank you for your diligence in keeping Aspies Central a safe resource. Your work has not gone unnoticed and I know you will keep it up going forward. As for the logo, definitely keep the rainbow circle. Merely rewording the title and subtitle would work well.
After reading your post,I do believe you have expressed some very good alternate views. This will require us to pay closer attention to how we present ourselves when entering our new realm.

Thank you for your input :)

I welcome the change, as it will obviously help this wonderful community grow more.

Cool! We get a name change and a eclipse, all in one day.

From my point of view, the fact that everything else will not change makes the name change unimportant. I think I will be able to deal with it.

I've had a couple of days reading posts and a chance to get my head around how it affects me.

Please don't get me wrong, I understand vision and necessity. Progress, inclusion and keeping pace on the web.
I felt quite sad because I'd only just found somewhere to hang out, or lurk, that had become quite important to me quite quickly. And it was going to change.

I think it was your post @Nitro mentioning how neither you nor the team would tolerate any nonsense in somewhere you call home, or words to that effect.
This, I can trust and believe in. Thank you for writing that post.

Thanks to all who keep this place up and running. For me, finding this site was like coming up for air.
I wish you the very best of luck and genuinely hope the vision is realised and it's all you want it to be, and then some. :)

While I'm glad for the continuous efforts to improve the site, I'm anxious about the change. As it is, AC is already so great with regards to the features and, more importantly, audience. Like others here, it's my one safe haven. Focusing on inclusivity may end up alienating some members. It's not like I want to hog the site, but having too broad a target audience tends to have that effect. You can't please everyone so it helps to choose who you want to cater to.

Apologies for being a negative Nancy here, it's just...I've been on many forums that try to appeal to a broad audience and it wasn't fun. It was hard to keep up, and the drama drove me away. On the other hand, I'm aware, I'm just one member and I know there's a business side to things.

I know you've already decided, but I also think Aspie Central sounds more friendly. :) Refocusing on the word "autism" sounds a bit medical (to me) and it already carries a certain stigma for some people. Although I use it to talk about myself, I don't necessarily want to share that part of myself with just anyone. It seems strange that we're careful who we disclose our personal situations to when people can stumble upon this site and find out.

As for the suggestions...maybe the old theme be retained as a setting? Like, members can choose which theme they want to use. That would be nice.

And finally, maybe there could be areas that can be reached only after a certain amount of Karma is reached? It will help filter the trolls as members would usually only approve helpful or positive posts. As I'm not sure how posting warnings and definitions would help filter those out...and personally, I'm easily driven away by trolls.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and for the possibly selfish suggestions. I really love AC and the people here so I'm still reeling from the news. I'm afraid we'll become more into "changing the world" as opposed to "improving the lives of those with ASD".

Anyway, I'll still give the new site a chance.

Edit: Just to say, I was referring to the refocus to the word "autism" sounds more medical to me. Thank you for pointing that out, tree.

What I mean here is, I don't necessarily feel like shouting my personal situation from the rooftops simply because of the general view of it. Thinking about it like "hey, I'm a part of Aspies Central, it's happenin' there" lol, is different from "I am a part of the autismforums"...just sounds serious to me. That's my personal opinion, sorry if I've offended anyone with it. Really, I don't know why I'm so affected.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little down...I guess I should stop checking this thread.

Last edited:
While I'm glad for the continuous efforts to improve the site, I'm anxious about the change. As it is, AC is already so great with regards to the features and, more importantly, audience. Like others here, it's my one safe haven. Focusing on inclusivity may end up alienating some members. It's not like I want to hog the site, but having too broad a target audience tends to have that effect. You can't please everyone so it helps to choose who you want to cater to.

Apologies for being a negative Nancy here, it's just...I've been on many forums that try to appeal to a broad audience and it wasn't fun. It was hard to keep up, and the drama drove me away. On the other hand, I'm aware, I'm just one member and I know there's a business side to things.

I know you've already decided, but I also think Aspie Central sounds more friendly. :) Adding the word "autism" sounds a bit medical and it already carries a certain stigma for some people. Although I use it to talk about myself, I don't necessarily want to share that part of myself with just anyone. It seems strange that we're careful who we disclose our personal situations to when people can stumble upon this site and find out.

As for the suggestions...maybe the old theme be retained as a setting? Like, members can choose which theme they want to use. That would be nice.

And finally, maybe there could be areas that can be reached only after a certain amount of Karma is reached? It will help filter the trolls as members would usually only approve helpful or positive posts. As I'm not sure how posting warnings and definitions would help filter those out...and personally, I'm easily driven away by trolls.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and for the possibly selfish suggestions. I really love AC and the people here so I'm still reeling from the news. I'm afraid we'll become more into "changing the world" as opposed to "improving the lives of those with ASD".

Anyway, I'll still give the new site a chance.

I wish there was a smooth way to get this to move forward,but unfortunately there isn't.

I do understand that changes are hard on many and we do tend to get comfortable in a space we think of as our very own,but that shouldn't stop us from exploring other avenues.

Is AC exactly the way it was when I first found it?
Of course not,but it didn't push me away from it,I adapted to it instead of beating feet and getting out of Dodge.

I'm sure as the needs arise,the appropriate accomodations can be made so the conversations will be sorted out by the necessary categories. Instead of becoming exclusive to others,we can add more input from differing perspectives in different areas that may well apply across the entire autism spectrum.

It would be up to each member to decide which areas they are comfortable with and what they are not,exactly the same as it is now,but with more choices outside of what we have at the present.

I wish there was a smooth way to get this to move forward,but unfortunately there isn't.

I do understand that changes are hard on many and we do tend to get comfortable in a space we think of as our very own,but that shouldn't stop us from exploring other avenues.

Is AC exactly the way it was when I first found it?
Of course not,but it didn't push me away from it,I adapted to it instead of beating feet and getting out of Dodge.

I'm sure as the needs arise,the appropriate accomodations can be made so the conversations will be sorted out by the necessary categories. Instead of becoming exclusive to others,we can add more input from differing perspectives in different areas that may well apply across the entire autism spectrum.

It would be up to each member to decide which areas they are comfortable with and what they are not,exactly the same as it is now,but with more choices outside of what we have at the present.

In the end, like I said, I'm just one member.

Perhaps I'm just slow to change, I'm sorry I can't keep up as well as you. I did say I was going to give it a chance, not to "beat feet" or so on. I was just honest and I thought AC is place that can accept that.

If it is unwelcome, or if my suggestions were terrible, just please tell me and I can stop bothering you admin.

In the end, like I said, I'm just one member.

Perhaps I'm just slow to change, I'm sorry I can't keep up as well as you. I did say I was going to give it a chance, not to "beat feet" or so on. I was just honest and I thought AC is place that can accept that.

If it is unwelcome, or if my suggestions were terrible, just please tell me and I can stop bothering you admin.
No,it's not a bother at all,in fact we value the input.
If we aren't open to opinions,then we have lost our course and won't learn from them,and that is not our intention here.

This thread is a sounding board intended to open up this topic.
We are all entitled to our opinions,and yours hold as much weight as any others do ;)

I keep wanting to say that the word "autism" has
been in the logo right along, that the name change
won't be a huge sudden wrenching change......
more of a re-focus.

I was glad when I found this site. The inhabitants' counsel and stories have been helpful. The absence of malignity is a blessing. The name change will be fine as long as we keep our integrity. Thank you all.

I say good deal. I'm all for it. This site has been around for almost a decade now - OK, 7 years give or take - so it's about time for a change isn't it?

I have no doubt that the staff here will continue to keep things in order in spite of any rapid growth we may get as a result, and I do strongly believe that we are setting a fine example as a community, hopefully for others to follow and learn from.

The immediately following post is something I've been working on for a while, sort of an autism Q&A. In part to answer the questions for myself and in part to formulate coherent answers when people ask me questions. I've tried to keep it in common language rather than medical jargon or veering to far into psychology or science stuff. With the domain change and potential arrive of people with lots of questions, I wondered if @Brent would want something like this as part of the new forum?

What is Autism, the Autism Spectrum, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?

Well, isn't Aspberger's Syndrom (AS) just HFA?
Not really. AS is arguably part of the autism spectrum, but HFA is a broader section of the spectrum than AS.

I was under the impression that Aspergers was HFA.
So says the psychologist upon diagnosis... says Aspergers has been 'absorbed' and now anything ASD / Asperger related all falls under ASD.

There seems to be so much confusion surrounding diagnosis and what traits are specifically ASD related. It also seems that as everyone falls under this 'spectrum' almost anything can be attributed to ASD and the only distinguishing parameters are to label as either mild or severe: LFA or HFA.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to write a diagnosis on NT behaviour patterns and then those on the ASD train can tick/discuss whether those apply/ they can relate to, rather than diagnosing the presenting innumerable and infinite traits?

Especially when it is argued that ASD is a 'spectrum' and not able to be diagnosed with a blood test or DNA test, and traits present differently in every. single. person?

New Threads

Top Bottom