• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Central Will Be Changing Names Soon

Brent

Administrator
Aspies Central is growing up and growing up fast. With that growth comes an opportunity to broaden our reach in the Autism spectrum.

We have managed to purchase a VERY nice domain name: autismforums.com

We are really excited as this will allow us to rank much higher in search engines and provide an easy to remember, to the point domain name.

As soon as the domain name is in our hands we will be switching over to the new name. A few points to make:
  • All aspiescentral.com urls will work. No need to update any bookmarks
  • The site will still look the same, except for a new logo.
We are considering allowing members the chance to offer input on the new logo so stay tuned for that.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here!

Makes sense in the broader picture- and a broader audience. Nice not to have to change bookmarks. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations again on the growth, and good job securing that domain name, that's quite the catch!

I'm relieved that the URLs will still work as is.
I'm a little nervous about change, so right now I can't offer constructive suggestions on the logo until I digest the information a little.
I really like the current one, though; I understand how a new one is needed, but by any chance, could the color wheel be kept somewhere (doesn't have to be part of the logo), even if it's repurposed?

Pretty cool and a little scary, it will take me awhile to get used to the idea of the change or name. I'll have to say it over and over and eventually it will be as if the other forum never existed, I think. I like the new name, it seems more inclusive.

Congratulations again on the growth, and good job securing that domain name, that's quite the catch!

I'm relieved that the URLs will still work as is.
I'm a little nervous about change, so right now I can't offer constructive suggestions on the logo until I digest the information a little.
I really like the current one, though; I understand how a new one is needed, but by any chance, could the color wheel be kept somewhere (doesn't have to be part of the logo), even if it's repurposed?

Keeping the color wheel is an option we will look at.

@Brent Any info on when the changes will take place?

More than likely this week.

Oh no. It'll take a while for me to get used to the name change. I understand the reason for this and agree it is going to be of help to go higher in the search engines.

'Aspies Central' has a nice 'ring' to the name, though. I'm going to miss it. It'll always be called this in my heart. We'll all be the old skool members in years to come who will have fond memories of the name Aspies Central and will more than likely keep calling it this. :)

I see this as a wonderful opportunity to put us over the top.

It will be a change that may not be favorable for some at first,but together we can make it a smooth transition and all get to be a part of a forum that we know and love.

I think I can speak for the entire staff here and assure each of you that any and all questions will be answered as we field them.

Try to look at it this way,we can all be a part of something that is already special and turn it into the autistic forum others try to emulate.

Oh no. It'll take a while for me to get used to the name change. I understand the reason for this and agree it is going to be of help to go higher in the search engines.

'Aspies Central' has a nice 'ring' to the name, though. I'm going to miss it. It'll always be called this in my heart. We'll all be the old skool members in years to come who will have fond memories of the name Aspies Central and will more than likely keep calling it this. :)
Personally,as much as I will miss our old name,I like the new one :)

I have to share a concern that's eating at me already.
It will be great to rank higher in search engines, definitely. But then it occurred to me: what if, as we rank higher and get much more people, we also start attracting trolls?
I have faith that the forum will not become another WrongPlanet because we're better than that, but right now I'm having these catastrophist thoughts such as "Yeah, the current members are, but wait till the new kids arrive and start the bullying", and I need something to reassure me that I'm not going to lose my safe space.
I know it might look off topic, but maybe that the enlarged catchment area that comes with ranking higher and increased visibility will at some point call for certain measures to filter that (I was thinking that asking people who want to join to send a short note stating their motivations before approving them as members might do the trick, but it could cause so much anxiety to people who genuinely want to be part of the community, but are deterred by the need to "apply").

Last edited:
All of you as the members already do your part that makes the staff's job easier. I don't see us letting the control here slip away no matter how big we get.

I have to share a concern that's eating at me already.
It will be great to rank higher in search engines, definitely. But then it occurred to me: what if, as we rank higher and get much more people, we also start attracting trolls?
I have faith that the forum will not become another WrongPlanet because we're better than that, but right now I'm having these catastrophist thoughts such as "Yeah, the current members are, but wait till the new kids arrive and start the bullying", and I need something to reassure me that I'm not going to lose my safe space.
I know it might look off topic, but maybe that the enlarged catchment area that comes with ranking higher and increased visibility will at some point call for certain measures to filter that (I was thinking that asking people who want to join to send a short note stating their motivations before approving them as members might do the trick, but it could cause so much anxiety to people who genuinely want to be part of the community, but are deterred by the need to "apply").

I wouldn't worry too much, since I got banned from Gamefaqs.com, the trolls seem to be leaving this site alone, most of them are too stupid to know what Autism or Asperger's is never mind Googling a forum on the topic.

W00t! W00t! :smiley: I'm so jazzed about this! We're growing, improving, and being more visible is a huge plus.

The mod team, as ever, is on top of helping things run smoothly.

All of us together make this a wonderful online community.
Here's to positive growth in our future! :beercheers::shortcake::shavedice::pizza: :hamburger::icecreamcone:

I wouldn't worry too much, since I got banned from Gamefaqs.com, the trolls seem to be leaving this site alone, most of them are too stupid to know what Autism or Asperger's is never mind Googling a forum on the topic.
Rich,believe it or not,you have a fantastic staff here that honestly cares about keeping us safe and clean.

I don't think the mods here get nearly the credit they deserve.

I do still think Asperger's is different from autism, though it's all lumped together on one spectrum diagnostically now. I'm guessing with this change we'll have more people who do not have Asperger's on the site, people who are on other parts of the spectrum. Not that I wouldn't welcome those, but I feel the membership will change and the tone may change with that. Also, I think that Aspies Central conveys an Aspie-oriented space, as opposed to a place that is about Autism - I think with the new name, all manner of people with all manner of reasons for being interested or curious about Autism, including more NTs, will come to the forum and expect it to be oriented more towards themselves, or that it is a neutral ground, whereas now I feel it is definitely Aspie territory. That will change the underlying tone of the forum as well is my prediction (though of course I could be wrong). Rather than a place for Aspies to come together, I think it just be a place for anyone interested in ASD, whether they are on it or not - then I think there will be less of an expectation that this be a friendly and safe place for Aspies, more like anything goes once people get comfortable.

My main suggestion if you update this forum - please, please, please consider creating an entirely separate forum area for NTs who want advice about how to get their suspected/diagnosed Aspie significant other back, or to deal with their suspected/diagnosed Aspie friend/significant other in some other way. And maybe have a thumbtacked post on their explaining that one cannot diagnose another person with ASD no matter how much they may seem like Sheldon or match some quiz, and that furthermore, every person with ASD is totally unique and we cannot collectively explain their motivations just because we are Aspies. Take it or leave it, or course.

New Threads

Top Bottom