• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies are just same as everyone?

Though @Monachopia, I'd like to also apologize for being too intense (another aspie thing). You've hit a particular soap box of mine :) I've been working on this for years and do find myself swimming upstream a lot. There is a lot of social conditioning to break through which I estimate will take another 80 years to balance out. But I won't be giving up any time soon and some of my mentees have gone on to run their own teams, so baby steps. Another soap box of mine is pensions, so avoid that topic at all costs....

To be honest, I wasn't trying to fuel the argument, if anything OrdinaryCitizen's comments and opinions I've seen expressed so far, scare me.
The view I am coming from is one ingrained in me from the Soviet Union - where I grew up and unfortunately even though I make a conscious effort to not think that way, subconsciously I am still 30 years behind. So as you have said - there is a lot of "social conditioning" we all need to break out of.
I'd like to thank you for putting forward another perspective so I can learn and be more sensitive when I express myself. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. I think with my comment above, I tried to end the fight as I'm usually the diplomat in heated situations.
These topics are very sensitive and you're right, it'll all take some time to get to a place where most are happy because they are brought up to think in a 'new' way. Gotta keep on fighting and questioning when someone says something wonky! :D

Hell yes, and same here. A while back I was part of a conversation where my eldest son (aged 9) was told how smart and intelligent he looked, whereas his girlfriend was told how very pretty she looked in her sparkly dress. Frustratingly, it only occurred to me later on that this is why there's such a problem in the world, and I am part of it. So anyway, I'm veering way off topic, thanks for indulging me and my soap box!

I understand girls don't care about science or reshaping the world into something better, them discussing day-to day stuff is expected, their life goals are different than guys, like make a family and offspring. I don't judge them, we are just different.
If there's one thing I've learned about communication on forums, and if you want to avoid trouble, it's watch your exact phrasing and never make generalisations, because as soon as you do, scores of people will be onto you calling you out and disproving it, because generalisations nearly always have their exceptions, and therefore are almost always wrong. Always use qualifiers such as some, most, nearly all, many, etc. Unless you literally mean, all. Correct would be to say here, "Many girls don't care about science", or most girls... if that is what you believe, because then you account for the fact that not all girls want to go and have kids and a family, and many do care about science... and anyway, you don't seriously believe that all girls don't care about science, and have life goals to make a family and have kids... do you? Or that men can't be interested in these things?

New Threads

Top Bottom