• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie always wants to wear glasses

I wore glasses as a child but was never fond of them. Still if your child is attached to them and is doing no harm I say let him keep them.

I just didn’t want him to become dependent on them. Whether it’s a watch or a sweatshirt, he tends to obsess on wearing certain items. I just wish he could be a little bit more flexible. His glasses might break, his sweatshirt might not be washed etc. What will he do when that happens and I’m not there?
does your son get headaches if you take away his favorite sweater?

My Autistic son is obsessed with his glasses too. He has admitted he doesn't really need them, he got them because of gaming so much, his spacial depth perception is a bit impaired, but he is actually fine without them and has them around his neck mostly, but he thinks they make him look smarter. He is very, very obsessed with them.

He has been through many many fads of being obsessed and insisting he needs to wear certain things, at times, it was many pedants and chains around his neck, for a time, other fads was lots of rings, and once it was a cowboy type hat with feathers stuck all over it. He has other unusual attire habits like wearing lots of jumpers and jackets when it's very hot and that is another ongoing habit many support people confront him about.

I put these down to just his auti quirks. He grows out of certain fads, but the glasses one has remained. We (his family) hope that they don't hurt or damage his eyes further, however, he does see an optometrist regularly, we are just not certain he tells the truth about his eyes.

He can be a bit wily when he fixates on things, but he insists on the glasses thing, and we have ended up accepting it, he is 26 after all, and living away from home, with lots of services and supports.

My 2nd grade teacher was aware enough to see my squinting to read the black board and suggested my parents have my vision tested. When I learned I needed glasses I was thrilled. Third grade had started by then. I had already associated glasses with smart people from pictures of scientists I had seen, and I wanted to be a scientist. In my mind at the time, people would see my glasses and automatically think I was smart.
As others have mentioned, once I started wearing them, they did help limit some peripheral vision distraction. Photogrey lenses (darken in sunlight, lighten indoors) came out in those early years, and my parents let me try them on hearing about them. So I became used to the glasses clearing my vision, helping me focus ahead and reduce distraction, and reduce sun glare.
My vision was not bad enough to REQUIRE using glasses except for reading and closework, so my parents wanted me to do without them as much as possible, but I REALLY wanted to wear them.
Moot point now, since from about 6th grade on, I have been legally blind without them.

Sometimes I get so used to a piece of clothing that I feel anxious without it, especially if it provides some sort of stimulation or fulfils a purpose. I feel anxious without a watch, for example, because I move it around my wrist all the time and I check time, and when it's gone, I'm like... I feel it missing and don't know what to do with my hands or what to do when I feel like zoning out for a few seconds (usually: check time). It's also Not There. It's as if I left home without one shoe on, that kind of thing, it's disturbingly different. I can do without such a thing, but is it worth the discomfort? I don't see the point of putting myself under unneccesary stress. So... as long as it's not hurting him in some way, it's okay. If it does, then it's worth the stress. And perhaps the glasses are reducing some sensory issue, in which way it's definitely not worth it. I can't tell what exactly they could protect from, but I wear ANC headphones while shopping in case an alarm goes off, alarms freak me out to the max and I feel nauseous when they go off. It could be something more subtle, reducing distractions, headphones shut off irrelavent noises for me as well or they are silent enough to ignore. So... in both of these scenarios taking away the glasses can make things more difficult for him.

New Threads

Top Bottom