• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Religion

Have you heard of LaVeyan satanism? It is actually atheistic, and the concept of satan is a metaphor for human feels. There is nothing about sacrificing people, or hurting others. It isn't as bad as it sounds.
However, there are some things I disagree with, and so I prefer not to consider myself a satanist.

I haven't read too much into LaVeyan Satanism but I remember reading about how it had Satan as metaphor of human feelings :D

The post was more sarcasm towards Fundie Christians out there who have nothing better to do than point and blame groups that they don't have a clue about because it isn't Christianity :/

There's a lot of decent religious people in this world but that doesn't mean you wont also get your bad too, unfortunately :(

Mother: Believed she was the 2nd coming of Christ, although she was not Christian. Now, she has kind of invented her own religion. So mixed messaging.

Father: Hostile agnostic.

Involved grandmothers: 1 very conservative, and 1 Unitarian.

Spent 1/2 my childhood at the neighbor's heavily Mormon household.

My first job was working at a very peaceful Methodist church, which I loved.

Needless to say, my exposure is unusual. Religion isn't much a part of my life, but I'm currently trying to figure out what I believe. I have a possible theory that involves survival of the fittest and temporary support from those who have passed.

Heavily religious NTs have been particularly rigid in my experience. In a way it's nice because I know exactly what role to play. However, it's exhausting.

I recently went to a very cool and liberal Christian church. I really liked the people and community, but just can't believe what they believe.

I then tried the Unitarian Church, and LOVED it. As long as you pursue healthy morals and are accepting of others, you are welcomed. I plan to start going when my baby is a bit older.

My older son is showing Aspie traits, and appears to be very interested in religion. It's so interesting to see the similarities and differences between Aspies.

Q. Did you grow up in a religious household?
A. Yes.

Q. What role does religion play in your life?
A. None. I have God. I have no need for religion- or its fellowship.

Q. Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?
A. See above.

Q. Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "quirky"?
A. Rejected and/or found "quirky"...but never by those with similar belief systems. Most Christian sects seem to balk at reincarnation among other issues regarding my beliefs.

Q.What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
A. The aspects of fellowship likely come naturally to NTs. For many people with ASD I'd think fellowship often poses a challenge.

Q. Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?
A. So I've been told. But nothing about Jesus.

Last edited:
Have you heard of LaVeyan satanism? It is actually atheistic, and the concept of satan is a metaphor for human feels. There is nothing about sacrificing people, or hurting others. It isn't as bad as it sounds.
However, there are some things I disagree with, and so I prefer not to consider myself a satanist.

Church of Satan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Church of Satan does not "worship" or believe in Satan, nor does it believe in gods. LaVeyan Satanism follows the belief that one's self is one's own "God". It does not believe in suppression of desire and human nature. In an interview with David Shankbone, High Priest Peter Gilmore stated "My real feeling is that anybody who believes in supernatural entities on some level is insane. Whether they believe in the Devil or God, they are abdicating reason". Gilmore defines the word "Satan": "Satan is a model or a mode of behavior. Satan in Hebrew means 'adversary' or 'opposer'; one who questions."

Contrary to urban legends about Satanic abuse of children and sacrifice of animals, the Church of Satan actually has stated rules against harming children or killing animals except for food or in self-defense. Not trying to do PR for them or anything and I am not a member, I just find that kind of interesting.

Something else kind of interesting possibly worth throwing out is is that Baphomet, which is frequently used as a Satanic symbol, is believed to have been actually invented in the middle ages to accuse heretics of worshipping it and the name "Baphomet" is believed to be a French corruption of "Mohammed":

Baphomet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
My personal worldview is mostly Pagan with a bit of Christianity mixed in. When people ask me what god I pray to, I say "all of them" because no one on this planet really knows who or what the Divine Spirit actually is. Many people claim to know, but no one actually does. Not really. When asked if I'm a Christian, I say "define Christian". If you mean trying to live they way Jesus taught people to live (Love Thy Neighbor, Do Unto Others, etc.) then yes, I'm a Christian. But if you mean the hateful, bigoted, fundie version of Christianity which has sadly become the dominant form of it in this country (sorry, but it's true), then no, I want absolutely nothing to do with that in any way, shape or form.

I was raised Episcopalian and as a child, the people at church used to call me "Professor" because I was always asking questions that they didn't really have any answers for. Even back then, as young as I was, I noticed that there were a lot of things in the bible that didn't make sense. I guess it's good then that I was always encouraged to question things rather than being made to simply follow whatever the preacher said blindly. If only more people were instilled with that value from an early age, the fundies might actually be the minority people claim they are rather than the majority no one wants to admit they are.

@ Spinosaurus Kin: YES. I am very familiar with LaVeyan Satanism & it does not contain any of the ridiculous ritual violence & so-called human (or animal) 'sacrifices' associated with so-called Satanists (in the public mind). It must be remembered that virtually everything in the mainstream that is ascribed to Satanists (devil-worshipers, practitioners of 'black magic' etc.) was penned by Christian Inquisitors & other writers within mainstream religions seeking to sow fear & exert control over populations. This is where the distortion that Atheists are somehow devil worshipers or Satanists comes from. It is an unfortunate myth.

Most of those who think they are Satanists are confused teenagers, making it up as they go along (or using LaVey's silly model). Some 'dabble' in it because they think it makes them seem cool & 'hard core' to their peers, some get into it to shock a parent, others are seeking 'woo-woo' esoteric experiences (chanting, black robes, skulking about at night, 'secret' rituals, candle-light & the lure of the forbidden). It is not what the media often tries to build it into.

I then tried the Unitarian Church, and LOVED it. As long as you pursue healthy morals and are accepting of others, you are welcomed.
My parents raised my brother and I in a Unitarian Church! So I know first hand what you mean, still difficult for me as a child (not understanding why I seemed so "different" to the others) but it was most likely a better setting than something much more strict.

Thanks AsIstAga, it's really great to hear what kind of experience others had as I will be bringing my kids. I'm hoping it will help give then a sense of community:).

I was raised an atheist, and I still identify as an atheist I suppose. My mother added the influence of natural religions like Buddhism and Wicca, which by definition don't really require one to believe in a traditional god at all. I've never formally practiced anything however. Religion is something I try not to discuss. I really think that it is an important element in the lives of most people that practice a faith, so I'm hesitant to argue beliefs. I don't like assuming that anyone interprets their faith literally, and those that do are the only people that I'm concerned about.

Did you grow up in a religious household? Yes. Dad's agnostic-ish; maybe better to say he's confused. My mom and her parents are Pentecostals. My dad's parents are Conservative Holiness-Pentecostals.
What role does religion play in your life? Much. It affects everything I do and everything I say.
Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? I go to church on Sundays and I'm as open about it as I am about anything else.
Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? Accepted. I've been in the same church since I was 6. I don't talk to much of anybody, but they all trust and respect me.
What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? It seems to me that aspies tend to know more than their peers about the church, as a historical entity, while NT's tend to know more about the church as the 'Body of Christ.' I guess Aspies feel like the fingers: not as much a part of the body as the rest (however, they're still quite useful.).
Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Not a chance. The way I see it Jesus was God made man. An all knowing being (or at least one who talks to the father) would be above the issues of Aspie vs. NT.

My mom told me as a child to believe whatever I wanted to believe.

I would wonder how the sun got in the sky.

I thought of God in my childish brain as a very old man with just a head and shoulders and arms in the sky.

A neighbor who was a well-known artist taught me about Jesus and Mary and Joseph which greatly perplexed me and caused me to wonder how Jesus could have 2 fathers. My childish brain couldn't figure that one out.

Since learning I'm aspie (just a few weeks), I've been questioning myself on my faith because being religious could be an aspie trait.

My best friends are pastors. (I don't know why.) I like religious subjects. I'm part of a fantastic, diverse community even though I like to learn a lot on my own through reading.

My NT husband shares the same faith as I do but is a very different person than me and sees life from a whole different perspective.

Did you grow up in a religious household?
Not really, no views were given to me, although I went to Christian schools, especially my secondary (high) school. We were forced to go to Church once every 6 odd weeks (as there where a week for each year of the school) but this was around the time I started forming my own opinions and such and didn't like being forced to do things I didn't want to (teenage rebellion may be.

What role does religion play in your life?
None really. My wife's parents are very religious but don't force their views on anyone. They call themselves Roman Catholic but there are too intelligent and (despite being from a very different time to myself and others) are quite progressive and accepting of others lifestyles.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?
I often get caught out like most uttering a prayer that something goes right, that someone is ok, or can catch a break but ultimately, I just think it's a reaction tied to no belief.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?
As I am heavily tattooed and most of my friends are quite alternative looking, it was quite a shock when I first met my wife's parents (for them haha) but we soon changed their view on those with tattoos and the alternative crowd at large. Otherwise, I don't think I've experienced any problem with any religious people.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
Erm.. Well, I don't know how to answer that really. Religion should be a personal belief, whether you are an Aspie or NT.

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?!
Not really, as an Agnostic, I'm not sure I 100% believe that he existed at all.

Not really, as an Agnostic, I'm not sure I 100% believe that he existed at all.
Definition of agnostic: someone who does not claim to know whether god exists.
Definiton of an atheist: so gone who does not believe that god does.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, just saying.
Philosophically I take the same position as you on god's existence: no comment. However, that puts us on the atheist side of the scale as we do not make the positive position of belief in god.
Just saying that the fact you don't know has no bearing on what you think is the case.

Wow, so many comments! Thanks everyone for sharing! If I can see one common thread in these posts it would be the emphasis on mutual respect and peace. As a Christian Aspie myself, I tend to take biblical teachings at face value. Ergo, if I am supposed to love all people, then dammit I'm going to, lol! And it is immensely frustrating when I see many Christians not acting upon this. It must just be very difficult for them, like socializing is difficult for me.

Most of my friends and family are agnostics and atheists, so I understand where these folks come from as well. It is indeed puzzling for these folks as to why some people are quite religious. But I love my friends and family and so I hang out with them just like anyone else. It is possible for us to live at peace with one another.

Please continue to discuss issues of faith (or lack thereof) on this thread! Please just remember that there are truly no groups of people who all think alike. For example, while some Christians think atheists are Satanic, some do not!! And while some atheists can be very nasty towards Christians as well, some are not at all!! It is probably more accurate to say that some people are bat**** crazy while others are less so! Then you just have to define for yourself what "crazy" means ;)

Hi yes I am a Christian and I live in england Newcastle I was brought up a Christian I tended to mimic people at school to fit in never worked though I believe in god and I go to a christian camp every year qnd I am an outcast there I try to join in but I am quite obsessive about the bible etc and they are not so interested in the philosophy side of the bible would be nice to have a Christian aspie friend feel very alone

Wow, so many comments! Thanks everyone for sharing! If I can see one common thread in these posts it would be the emphasis on mutual respect and peace. As a Christian Aspie myself, I tend to take biblical teachings at face value. Ergo, if I am supposed to love all people, then dammit I'm going to, lol! And it is immensely frustrating when I see many Christians not acting upon this. It must just be very difficult for them, like socializing is difficult for me.

Most of my friends and family are agnostics and atheists, so I understand where these folks come from as well. It is indeed puzzling for these folks as to why some people are quite religious. But I love my friends and family and so I hang out with them just like anyone else. It is possible for us to live at peace with one another.

Please continue to discuss issues of faith (or lack thereof) on this thread! Please just remember that there are truly no groups of people who all think alike. For example, while some Christians think atheists are Satanic, some do not!! And while some atheists can be very nasty towards Christians as well, some are not at all!! It is probably more accurate to say that some people are bat**** crazy while others are less so! Then you just have to define for yourself what "crazy" means ;)

I was raised Catholic, which by definition is part of Christianity ... but what disturbs me is that some people who call themselves 'Christian' reject Catholicism, and any other sect that differs from their own. Those people preach hate, fear, and exclusion, and I always want to suggest that they read The Book, instead of just carrying it around & thumping on it.

reveric15, thanks so much for setting a better example, and proving to me that not everyone who uses that word is so negative.

A priest once was discussing the sudden proliferation of 'Jesus Fish' on so many cars (yes, I'm showing my age) ... his comment was "If they can't tell you're a Christian by the way you act ... and by the way you drive ... then a whole school of fish is not going to help you!"

I have a question for you all! Since I have known only a handful of lovely ASD people, I am curious as to how ASD people deal with the issue of religion (Christianity or not; I am a Christian UMC pastor, but I'm not trying to evangelize here, simply interested since it's one of my biggest interests, obviously!). Did you grow up in a religious household? What role does religion play in your life? Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!
Religion has been an integral part of my life for the past twenty years. Although I was baptized Catholic, I was not given much of a Catholic education. Most of my teens and twenties, I was agnostic/atheist. In my early thirties, I converted to Orthodox Judaism. I lived in a very tight community in Indianapolis, and then traveled to Israel and lived there for a few years. Over time, I drifted away from Torah observance. A few years ago, I took a theology class in my last semester of college, and that led me back to my Catholic roots. Not to discount my regard for either Judaism or Catholicism, but I do think being on the autism spectrum has contributed to my religiosity. Both faiths have provided me with a sense of stability in an often confusing, unstable world. Following Jewish law and practice was never that difficult for me; it was more of a comfort. While Catholicism isn't quite as legalistic, it still has well-defined doctrines and dogmas. I don't just blindly follow the teachings of the Church. I take the time to learn and understand why the Church holds to certain beliefs--often in opposition to the secular culture. Most importantly, I know that I have a true friend in Christ!

I was raised as a United Methodist but chose my title as an agnostic who believes in a higher power in control of everything great and small,but refuses to give it a name or gender in the event that the higher power may not like it.
Something set this all in order as it would be impossible for it to be random.
My spirituality is there,but not well defined and without structure common to religious beliefs.
Religion to me is to do well by others,remain as honest as possible and talk to the power in thoughts whenever my thoughts lead me to ask for guidance.
The practice of religion has way too many variables involved to choose which one is correct so I believe I have all bases covered in my choice of faith.

Did you grow up in a religious household?
No. I was raised an atheist, though my Mother was part of a (my judgment here) quasi-christian cultic religion.

What role does religion play in your life?
I Believe, in a nutshell, the God of the Bible. I attend church, though my AS is interfering with that more and more lately.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?
Yes, trending acutely toward a more solitary expression. It's not a positive thing. I just can't deal anymore.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected?
The more I learn about myself and my AS (didn't have an inkling until 9 years ago), and realize that I have to be myself and whatever the cost, pretending is more harmful to me and simply wrong. The more I see the world through my own eyes and interact with it as myself, the more I am rejected. Though it hurts, now that I know more about me, I have to live life as myself, and I expected this rejection once I began to shed the false fronts I desperately adopted over the decades.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
Many aspies are atheists, having difficulty living a life strongly directed by emotions. Not so much the Bible's message, but most church experiences are likewise geared to interact primarily with our emotions, and to provide a very strongly social experience. Aspies flag every bit of illogic. Appeal to emotion often feels like manipulation to us. We tend to not use, or respond to it when it is directed our way.

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!
No Jesus=aspie stuff, but the Bible tells us that (sloppy paraphrase here, though I'm 100% sure it's correct in spirit, if not jot and tiddle), "He was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" "He was despised and rejected" The Bible presents Him as a man without falsehood or ulterior motive, someone who told no lies, and said what he meant, He did no one any harm. He spoke the truth, without intending to hurt anyone. He was unwilling to alter his behavior to improve his reputation among others. He lived His life according to his convictions, beliefs and principles, which He could never have betrayed, yet was almost universally misunderstood, and usually interpreted in the worst of all possible ways (sound familiar?)

New Threads

Top Bottom