• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Religion

Intelligent people can view the bible in different ways. You are correct that there is much violence in the bible but context is critical. Please try to be non-confrontational when discussing religious beliefs.

You're right. Christians believe we should follow the new testament to the letter, but believe the old testament no longer applies except for the creation, original sin, and whatever it says about gay people.

Oh really? Thank you for telling me what I believe. I thought it was something different from that.

You're right. Christians believe we should follow the new testament to the letter, but believe the old testament no longer applies except for the creation, original sin, and whatever it says about gay people.

I am a christian and I believe the bible does not condemn gays. I do not believe the bible should be understood literally. Moreover, I also believe there is continuity between the old and new testaments. The book of Amos in the OT speaks eloquently of social justice.

Last edited:
This is NOT a thread to debate religion or try to change peoples minds about what they believe. Please stay on topic.

This is NOT a thread to debate religion or try to change peoples minds about what they believe. Please stay on topic.

I am trying very hard to steer this thread back to a respectful tone as I do not want it closed. I am not interested in debate.

What is the thread really about then? It seemed to question if we had religious influences growing up.

Yes, I did. However, I answered that I don't attend church or believe anymore, simply because I came to the realization that it was all a delusion.

Try to imagine it from a perspective of someone who walks around being surrounded by people living under a delusion that they have to try and personalize the universe and nature all the time. I feel it necessary to make it known and to vent about it every now and then, or for at least someone to give me some compelling reason that I shouldn't feel that they are deluded.

What is the thread really about then? It seemed to question if we had religious influences growing up.

Yes, I did. However, I answered that I don't attend church or believe anymore, simply because I came to the realization that it was all a delusion.

Try to imagine it from a perspective of someone who walks around being surrounded by people living under a delusion that they have to try and personalize the universe and nature all the time. I feel it necessary to make it known and to vent about it every now and then, or for at least someone to give me some compelling reason that I shouldn't feel that they are deluded.

It is not respectful to say that people who have strong religious beliefs are delusional.

This is not a thread to vent or to try to change peoples minds. It is as simple as that. So far you have labeled religion terrorists in another post and have used other demeaning terms to describe religion and people that believe in it in this one. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. Its fine to say you do not believe in religion. Its not fine to attack a belief and the people that believe in it this thread.

*THIS IS THE LAST WARNING*

I am mis-understanding. What is the thread about exactly?

Its fine to discuss religion. You have not chosen to do so in a respectful manner. Please find another topic or find a way to be respectful in here. Any disrespectful posts from here on out will come with warning points.

Been delaying replying to this thread as my wife also wanted to contribute. But as it seems it's not going to work out I'll try replying for both of us...

Did you grow up in a religious household?

Me: Open Brethren. Whole family were believers.
Wife: country church with mix of Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian. Mother and grandparents Presbyterian.

What role does religion play in your life?

'Religion' is not a word we like to use. 'Religion' is about laws, rituals, 'what I must do' and is pretty cold. We see Christianity as relationship and following Christ. It's about what he has done for us. This affects all our life including all our decisions. In our day to day routine, we include family Bible times (we do our own thing - devotional books don't work for us) and family times of prayer.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?

Yes we do, but I can't say its easy.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?

Funny thing is that while I love the concept of the Brethren model, it doesn't work for me. Due to performance anxiety and selective mutism, I'm seen as unspiritual.

On the other hand, in Presbyterian and Baptist circles, because we do more than pew warming we are well accepted.

We've both been in various minor leadership roles, though it tends to take longer before we get there.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?

We've been puzzling over this one ourselves - we're still new to the idea of being aspie.

I've sometimes thought I'd prosper as a minister in a high church with all their ritual. But then I'd have a conflict with my beliefs.

As others have noted, aspies struggle with the emotiveness of some churches - but then so do some NTs. I think for an aspie, it has to appeal to logic more than emotion. At Bible school they taught 'what will you do about what you feel about what you know?' For an aspie its enough to say 'what will you do about what you know?' Anything more feels manipulative, and we hate being manipulated.

But then we've also often heard that the 12" from head to heart makes all the difference. I've mixed ideas about this.

Here's an interesting video that starts to look at aspies in an NT church:

Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?!

Maybe Jesus was neither NT or Aspie. Both have issues. Neither is perfect. Both are the result of a fallen world. Maybe his mind was as God originally designed?

Our desire is to be like Jesus, not our concept of NT (or aspie).

Last edited:
I am mis-understanding. What is the thread about exactly?

The original post named a number of different questions that you can answer. If you don't know how to do it from an atheist's perspective while still remaining respectful of the people who are religious, then you should probably go back through and see how the other atheists have responded.

This thread is about discussing your experiences with religion and your background in it, to see where different people are coming from and what perspectives they bring to the table. It's okay to say you don't believe in any deity, but it's not okay to call those who are theist "delusional." That is very rude and derogatory to the people in this discussion.

This isn't about saying who's right or wrong, arguing the merits of one belief over another, or converting people one way or another. If you read through all of the responses, you'll find there are not only Christians here, but also pagans, atheists, and agnostics, and until now, we've had a nonconfrontational discussion. Please help us keep it that way.

Yes to clarify, my intent was to survey my Aspie brothers and sisters to see what their spiritual paths were, if any. Perspectives of agnostics/atheists/etc are very much welcomed, but yes the judgmental words were not my intention. When you say you have no "religion" or that you believe in science, or something to that degree, we all can imagine that you would or do reject many claims in religions such as Christianity.

This post had the purpose of asking about your life in faith or lack thereof, not the reasons that brought you to these conclusions, at least not philosophical/theological/scientific conclusions. Again, we can imagine what those are. We are all fairly intelligent here, regardless of the road we have taken.

Thanks, and I look forward to additional comments of surveying your spiritual paths!!!

touchy subjects need to be handled carefully,much as a bomb ready to explode...I think the bomb squad here (the moderators) know how to handle bombs and we will see this bomb get defused soon

Try to back it down a few notches Granta_Omega or this thread will be closed and besides myself, many will be disappointed

The original post named a number of different questions that you can answer. If you don't know how to do it from an atheist's perspective while still remaining respectful of the people who are religious, then you should probably go back through and see how the other atheists have responded.

This thread is about discussing your experiences with religion and your background in it, to see where different people are coming from and what perspectives they bring to the table. It's okay to say you don't believe in any deity, but it's not okay to call those who are theist "delusional." That is very rude and derogatory to the people in this discussion.

This isn't about saying who's right or wrong, arguing the merits of one belief over another, or converting people one way or another. If you read through all of the responses, you'll find there are not only Christians here, but also pagans, atheists, and agnostics, and until now, we've had a nonconfrontational discussion. Please help us keep it that way.
This was not a discussion about what each member thinks about beliefs,merely a thread to show differences in beliefs

Forge on Rev...no matter what your belief is,respect should come first in any belief...

Maybe Jesus was neither NT or Aspie. Both have issues. Neither is perfect. Both are the result of a fallen world. Maybe his mind was as God originally designed?

Our desire is to be like Jesus, not our concept of NT (or aspie).

The perfect balance of Head and Heart.
Empathy with Clarity and Honesty and Simplicity.

The ideal that us imperfect animals of random evolution and complex chemicals can never achieve.

If you can find another Atheist who believes I was disrespectful, than I will consider it. However, I think people were just angry that I said something they didn't like about religion and played the disrespectful card instead of refuting it.

When you say you have no "religion" or that you believe in science, or something to that degree, we all can imagine that you would or do reject many claims in religions such as Christianity.

In my own case it isn't so much a matter of rejecting claims of Christianity. I share some of them...just not all of them. And not in accordance with any official dogma. I simply have God without any particular religion and within the scope of my own understanding.

It is interesting though that from time to time I run into members of the clergy who share some of my beliefs...particularly about reincarnation and how we as individual souls "craft" our future lives for this secondary plane of existence. But equally interesting is when they confide to me that they are very careful in publicly stating such beliefs in whole or in part so as not to conflict with their respective theology.

For me, faith inherently involves not having all the answers. So it seems only fitting not to disparage others' belief systems, whatever they may be.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom