• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Religion

While I'm not tied to a specific religion as such, I've classed myself as a bible beliving Christain who places faith in Christ.

The extent of my belief in Jesus is that sometimes when I get mad about something I shout out "Jesus H Christ!" ;)

Did you grow up in a religious household? No, I did not. We went to a Baptist Church once maybe twice a year.

What role does religion play in your life? It doesn't, at least not the traditional sense. I love learning about different cultures (mainly those with more than one goddess and God) and mythology and seeing how different groups connected to each other. As such I try to be open minded to different religions and beliefs. I also tend to blend different religions as the gods and goddesses being different facets of masks of God and goddess

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Not really, my thoughts aren't that common and I try not to voice my opinions.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? I tend to be agnostic (something is out there...Humans don't need the ego boost of being alone.

Do you have any unconventional views- I'm more earth based than church. I like to think of everything given time as having its own essence of soul. Water, mountains, trees to old handmade doll's or tools (lesser on those)

I have a question for you all! Since I have known only a handful of lovely ASD people, I am curious as to how ASD people deal with the issue of religion (Christianity or not; I am a Christian UMC pastor, but I'm not trying to evangelize here, simply interested since it's one of my biggest interests, obviously!). Did you grow up in a religious household? What role does religion play in your life? Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!
I grew up in a non-religious household in a non-religious country. My mother and father were lapsed Catholics. Religion is not something I object to nor have I ever felt excluded or marginalised for my lack of religious beliefs. I have friends from all religious persuasions. My best mate is Buddhist. I also know that believing in God made my Grandfather feel better when he passed on and so that is not a bad thing. I recognise too much of my culture has been heavily influenced by religious beliefs and systems. It is not like I will thumb my nose at religion.
As long as people are good people I do not think it matters as to how they live their lives or what they personally hold as true.

My story... My parents were strong Christians, actively involved in in a protestant evangelical church (Baptist)... I was dedicated as a baby, in the protestant tradition... In the late 1970's my parents started attending a different church, the same church I still attend today! I was only eight when I first went there with my parents... I was baptized during my high school years... I also attended a Bible College for two years in the mid 1990's

Some of my journey... Christianity is more than just my parents faith of course... My mom faithfully taught a Bible Club in our local elementary school for many years, my dad was active in our church choir and loved singing, my most vivid memory of my dad was him kneeling and praying every night in the living room...

Me? I've struggled with spiritual intimacy as a Christian, probably an Aspie trait, I've had some strong experiences still, my faith tends to be more intellectual, which I know isn't entirely right... Part of my struggle also comes from the fact that my dad and I were never close, not sworn enemies, I know he loved me but he never showed much intimacy to me...

Both my parents have passed away but I still attend that church I first went to in the late 1970's as a child, I grew up in that church and have so many great memories there and keep making new ones... That church has also been a source of many friendships over the years and support as well... It is truly community to me...

I did not have a religious upbringing.
My dad was an atheist and my mum's beliefs are sort of a mix of Paganism and Occultism.
If I were to identify with any faith, I would probably say that I would be classified as Wiccan.

My father is atheist and my mother is agnostic- loosely Christian. I spent alot of years living with my grandparents who were heavily into the Methodist Church. When I was growing up in didn't believe in God. But I do have a special interest in researching paganism. I practiced as a solitary Wiccan for a while. I really enjoy Wiccan it's a beautifully accepting faith built on caring for the earth and all her animals, I've got great respect for that. I do currently describe my self as athethiest because I don't believe in a higher power and like the theory of evolution.
When I went to church when I was younger I liked the craftsmanship of the old churches, how they were peaceful, cool, dark and spacious, just didn't like the guy at the front talking about God/Bible. I find organised religions a bit patriarchal, oppressive and exclusive. I certainly never felt accepted. But this is true for society in general too. I do however strongly advocate for people's right to worship whichever faith they choose. I take my daughter to church for playgroup and respect all the charity work that they do, I would rather a secular society where ones religion is a hobby rather than a force people must strictly adhear to.

Did you grow up in a religious household? I grew up going to a Lutheran church. I think I was 16 years old the last time I went, nearly half my life ago. My mother made my brother and I go. My father worked afternoon shift and had an excuse to not go.
What role does religion play in your life? I can't really say it plays any role these days. I did read the bible last year out of curiosity. I would consider myself an agnostic. The way things are shaking out, if Sharia Law becomes pushed into power throughout the western world then it is going to seriously effect all our lives.
Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? No
Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? N/A
What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? This is something I have never really considered before. For myself (an aspie) I find that I like the teaching and the idea of Christianity. I just can't fully buy into it. Reading the bible made it all seem even more doubtful. The old testament in particular, God usually speaks to one person at a time without witnesses and that one person tells others what he hears. hmmm...

I remember being a teen in confirmation class. We would sometimes have meditation sessions and the other kids would sometimes say what they have seen or experienced in the session. For me it was always just nothing, darkness, my own breathing and heart beat. As much as I would have liked something to happen, it never did. I often wondered if the others were just bullshitting or interpreted what the eyes sense when you close them as something ethereal. I don't know if any of that is relevant to being aspie.
Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?!
I recognize that Jesus of Nazareth was a real person. Who people think he was may vary. Son of God, a well meaning fraud, a crazy person. I would have liked to meet him, I am sure he was a really great person, regardless of who he was.

I have a question for you all! Since I have known only a handful of lovely ASD people, I am curious as to how ASD people deal with the issue of religion (Christianity or not; I am a Christian UMC pastor, but I'm not trying to evangelize here, simply interested since it's one of my biggest interests, obviously!). Did you grow up in a religious household? What role does religion play in your life? Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"? What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? Do you have any unconventional views--like maybe Jesus was an Aspie?! Any insights, ideas, observations, experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!
I'm an atheist.

I didn't grow up in a religious background but we did go to Christian church on Easter and then as a family we got sick up of the upkeep of going to the local church. It's with me always but I don't flaunt it (Wicca) outloud or to anyone. I'm more solitary so I've never really gone to a Wiccan church (I did go to a Wicca prayer circle once and got asked never to return quietly away from the crowd, never did go back). I did go to a few of my friends churches and they really weren't that accepting so I was really bored. I haven't been around any people that have ASD just NTs. I'm not really a fan of the sinner part and growing up the whole crucifixion for my sins (which I didn't get a choice in the matter at all) just pissed me off.

I grew up in a religious family, went to church occasionally, and went to church camp a few times. I'm an atheist, I just never really believed in any of it. I need science, facts and proof, my brain is too logical. If others find comfort and meaning in it than I'm truly happy for them. I have to agree with Sass, I love old churches, and also find them very peaceful.

I was raised in a household where religion wasn’t talked about. My father had gone off of god because his first two children died one of cots death and another on an aneurism (she was 8). I never knew either of them so it never affected me personally.

Funnily enough from the age of 8 I always believed that there must be a God and I prayed to him. As an adult I eventually found the one true religion ;-p and have become an active participant. No one else in my family belongs to the same faith as I do. Some people in my faith would probably think I’m a bit odd or quirky, but I doubt anyone has an inkling of my true specialness.

In regards to religion or those who believe in evolution, I’m often amazed how much they’re affected by their home environment and culture. For instance many who identify as religious do so because they were raised in that system of belief, without giving it much thought. I suspect it’s much more about following rituals and fitting in with everyone else rather than making a conscious decision to pick a faith after making a through logical search to determine if the faith makes sense.

Likewise, most people today believe in evolution, why? Because we’re raised in a society that says evolution is logical and true and most other people believe in it. Again people seem to be affected by the group-consensus mentality plus media and schools spouting it as being true. But ask them how many theories of evolution did Darwin posit, or which theory of evolution do you believe in, and you’ll get a stunned response of “Isn’t there only one?”.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents worth on this topic.

I was raised in a household where religion wasn’t talked about. My father had gone off of god because his first two children died one of cots death and another on an aneurism (she was 8). I never knew either of them so it never affected me personally.

Funnily enough from the age of 8 I always believed that there must be a God and I prayed to him. As an adult I eventually found the one true religion ;-p and have become an active participant. No one else in my family belongs to the same faith as I do. Some people in my faith would probably think I’m a bit odd or quirky, but I doubt anyone has an inkling of my true specialness.

In regards to religion or those who believe in evolution, I’m often amazed how much they’re affected by their home environment and culture. For instance many who identify as religious do so because they were raised in that system of belief, without giving it much thought. I suspect it’s much more about following rituals and fitting in with everyone else rather than making a conscious decision to pick a faith after making a through logical search to determine if the faith makes sense.

Likewise, most people today believe in evolution, why? Because we’re raised in a society that says evolution is logical and true and most other people believe in it. Again people seem to be affected by the group-consensus mentality plus media and schools spouting it as being true. But ask them how many theories of evolution did Darwin posit, or which theory of evolution do you believe in, and you’ll get a stunned response of “Isn’t there only one?”.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents worth on this topic.

We believe Evolution to be true because there is proof, THAT is what makes it logical. It doesn't matter how many theories Darwin had, because they were just that, THEORIES. Scientists took those theories and turned them into empirical evidence through archaeological digs, and carbon dating. Science Rocks!!

Did you grow up in a religious household?yes jewish karight
What role does religion play in your life? i am an agnogic with santic and occult belives
Do you regularly participate in religious life, no and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? none
Have you been accepted by people of your faith i dont have faith , or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?
What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion? as long as there self centered and dont try to make laws froceing there belives on others or treat there house kids and lovers like slaves i dont care
Do you have any unconventional views yes i think if there is a god he is evial and i wana kill he/she/it

Whew! I just spent the past 30 minutes reading this entire thread. I'm exhausted, but exhilarated. Before you ever decide to post ANYTHING about religion on this forum, you should read all of it, too, so that you will know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Kudos to the moderators for keeping the train from derailing several times. I can now conclude that, when it comes to religion, there are no lukewarm Aspies.

(Oh, no! Did I just set this rickety train back into motion, sparks flying, careening from side to side, screeching and wailing down the tracks?)
hqdefault.jpg

Whew! I just spent the past 30 minutes reading this entire thread. I'm exhausted, but exhilarated. Before you ever decide to post ANYTHING about religion on this forum, you should read all of it, too, so that you will know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Kudos to the moderators for keeping the train from derailing several times. I can now conclude that, when it comes to religion, there are no lukewarm Aspies.

(Oh, no! Did I just set this rickety train back into motion, sparks flying, careening from side to side, screeching and wailing down the tracks?)
hqdefault.jpg
I think the staff can handle it ;)

This is a great thread topic. I was raised in an evangelical family in Virginia. It was part of my identity. I walked away from the religiosity of it all years ago, but still call Jesus "Lord" and consider Him to be the true word of God rather than the bible. Not that I think the bible is irrelevant for today...

I'm also interested in connecting with others who grew up evangelical, whether they are still in that world or not. I definitely do not feel accepted or validated in that culture, but I've had a hard time completely letting go of it too. It defined me for such a long time. I'd be very interested in reviving this conversation.

Did you grow up in a religious household?
Yes I did. I went to a religious private school from pre-school up to the 3rd grade. I was still religious until my mid 20's.

What role does religion play in your life?
Religion restricted me from developing my own framework as I experienced the world. I would see people, ideas, and events from the lens of a Christian, rather than seeing them with my own lens, or through the lens of another person. I was very interested in converting people to the Christian perspective, and that involved telling them that they were sinners, if they didn't accept Christ they would go to hell, and they should repent. This is one aspect of my past that I still feel guilty about to this day.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion? Not anymore, but when I did I used to go to potlucks, Wednesday and Sunday services, and I also volunteered to perform custodial duties for the benefit of the church.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?

I was accepted by most, and rejected by a very few, but such is the reality of any community.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
I don't think there are any noticeable differences. Religion assigns meaning and purpose to some, and it can even be considered as a form of "societal glue" to more ardent worshipers. I would think any anomalous behavior would be considered by the religious community as a "spiritual gift"

No. I think Jesus is molded into whatever he needs to be in order to get a certain point or agenda across. Meaning and interpretation is assigned to scripture according to ideology, and scripture can be used as a message of love and peace as well as a message of subjugation and terror; it really depends on the person.

Did you grow up in a religious household?
Yup- from birth. Evangelical, non-denominational, southern, white Christian home.

What role does religion play in your life?
Now it is something to analyse and appreciate, but not follow.

Do you regularly participate in religious life, and do you do so in community with other people or in a more solitary fashion?
No. I'm quite solitary. Faith is personal. I may occasionally attend interfaith meetings, but do not go regularly to any kind of "house of worship."

Try to follow Christ, not Christianity.

Have you been accepted by people of your faith, or largely rejected, or do they just find you "querky"?
Nope. Definitely an outlier. Quirky is an understatement for me.

What do you think of NTs and religion versus ASDs and religion?
I'm only just starting to ponder this and don't know what I think about it yet.

Try to follow Christ, not Christianity.

New Threads

Top Bottom