• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and parenting.

Yazz

I was wondering if I could ask you something. Someone once asked me if I am on the spectrum and, it stuck in my mind. I have done every online quiz there is and read a lot of articles and, it has all told me I am Aspergers. Although, some components don't seem to fit me. I use sarcasm as humour although, I don't always notice others doing it. I also have no obsessive interests.. unless you count facebook lol. I have been thinking about seeing the doctor but, I am worried that they might question my ability as a parent and that it might have a negative outcome. Was wondering what people thought?

I know or know of several Aspie parents that are wonderful parents. If there were some evidence in your children that would cause people to question your suitability as a parent, I can see an investigation happening but, just being diagnosed isn't cause for anyone to think you would be a bad parent.

Obsessions don't always take an obvious form or mean you engage in them for hours every day. One of mine is food and cooking but, I don't cook huge volumes of food or spend all day cooking. Where my obsession comes in to play is learning new recipes, preparing five star quality meals for myself, friends and family, always thinking about a dish I want to make and, what occasions it will be best served for, how I can change up favorites to make them new and exciting and, if there might be a new way to prepare a certain food.

Music is my other obsession and, while I obviously don't write or perform music fog hours on end, I'm always thinking about it, working on a new song in my head or silently singing a familiar tune. I'm always aware for what is going on with fellow musicians I consider friends and, looking for ways to make my music a force for good in the world.

Just because it's an obsession doesn't mean we do it all of the time, or even every day but, we do think about it constantly and relate anything we possibly can to our obsessions.

New Threads

Top Bottom