• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and childish behavior

As a kid I was watching "Jonny Quest" in prime time (1964).

If they broadcast a marathon of every episode tomorrow, you wouldn't hear from me for a bit. :cool:

I´m 32 and I still watch cartoons and I like toys; I don´t play with them but I like them a lot

I am not sure why anyone, NT or ASD would find cartoons to not be a form or proper entertainment at any age, animation is only the medium being used to tell the story, why should it matter that its only a voice with a drawn back ground and characters if the story is good?

I just spent the last couple of 12 hour overnights at work rewatching Gurren Lagaan, I had forgotten how sad that one makes me. Very few things bring me to tears, but a cartoon made me weep, more than once.

Well I wouldn't say it is a AS thing as teens could have the same interest without AS.
I only discovered Danger Mouse in my late teens as my friends were watching it. Actually, I think an older audience appreciates it on a different level :)
dangermouse.jpg

Last edited:
51dV9lTQURL.jpg
I would prefer it as childlike for me.:) I have been and always will be a child at heart able to easily relate
to young children. I still watch cartoons and family entertainment as both the yearning parent
and future preschool teacher. I can easily enjoy the activities from my youth when the craving arises.
I think of it as a great gift since the people who seem to live the longest, healthiest lives are childlike at heart.I am proud to say this is my buddy Cassala

Last edited:
View attachment 12358 I would prefer it as childlike for me.:) I have been and always will be a child at heart able to easily relate
to young children. I still watch cartoons and family entertainment as both the yearning parent
and future preschool teacher. I can easily enjoy the activities from my youth when the craving arises.
I think of it as a great gift since the people who seem to live the longest, healthiest lives are childlike at heart.I am proud to say this is my buddy Cassala
The bear looks almost taller than me and I'm 6'3"

Im 22 and i like watching cartoons sometimes. I like happy feet too, and theres a song which is sang by pink called the bridge of light. I find that song helps me in tough situations or if I'm feeling anxious. As soon as i hear this song my mind is off of whats around me and more focused on this song. it gets boring but after not hearing it for a while i can go back to using it again. /).(\

It's not just normal for aspies I think but generation Y/Z in general. We were probably the most heavily marketed generations yet, and it seems companies realize this as they have been reintroducing a LOT of our childhood characters in movies, toys, etc. because they KNOW we're sharing these things with our own kids now and will not hesitate to buy them for our kids (and ourselves). And I love Cailou, too, even though I didn't grow up with it (I got introduced to it by my son). I especially love Wow Wow Wubzy and Yo Gabba Gabba. I will listen to the Yo Gabba Gabba songs on my own. Also several other teenie bopper singers like the chick from Victorious and Selena Gomez. In my teens I watched Lizzie McGuire and loved the show even though I was definitely too old for it. I also watch Degrassi now though I like the old group of kids more than the group they have now. And of course, I love Victorious and iCarly. :)

Perhaps she's just catching on that many of these shows are designed for adults to enjoy as well as little kids.

This is something I've actually given a good deal of thought lately, and unfortunately I probably don't have the mental energy to cohesively verbalize all my thoughts on it.

Basically, I think what defines "childish" (or, as I prefer, "child-like,") keeps evolving with each generation. To use a classic example, look at the origin of jazz music--so-called "grownups" of that generation were generally revolted by it, and viewed it as one of the "follies of youth," so to speak...but then, these lovers of this new jazz thing eventually wound up as full-blown adults, child-bearing, and jazz music became something that was perfectly acceptable within the "adult world." Likewise, with rock and roll music.

Nowadays, I'm seeing an increasing number of my geek friends (I am in my mid-twenties, a member of the so-called "Millennial Generation") starting families, having children, and I think everyone would agree these people are what we would call "geeks" or "nerds"--comic-book-loving, cartoon-watching, enthusiastic about those things...and they are raising their children accordingly.

In short, I think the definition of "childish behavior" is something that is completely subjective and which is constantly shifting from generation to generation, and it's hard to pin down exactly what "childish behavior" even means, or if it's a meaningful phrase at all to begin with.

I am very new to this whole thing and we are just starting to understand, but I have wondered about this for a while, I have a 16 year old daughter with Asperger's and she does not throw temper tantrums, but she still watches children's cartoons like Little Bear, Caillou etc. and plays with some toys still. Is that normal? Of course, she can act adult too, like she will sometimes watch shows like Degrassi and is starting to take an interest in learning how to drive, but she only does the more childlike activities in private. In public, she mostly acts like just like her peers around her, so she just does small things like that behind closed doors. I believe she does it as a comfort thing. Does that sound about right?

Thank you.

Sounds about right! You may find these fade over time as she gets older. The fact that she can fit in with peers gives her an excellent platform for adulthood. The very fact she only does this behind closed doors also shows she has an awareness of what other people might think of her as well! Sounds like your already doing a great parenting job so far! :)

It's not just normal for aspies I think but generation Y/Z in general. We were probably the most heavily marketed generations yet, and it seems companies realize this as they have been reintroducing a LOT of our childhood characters in movies, toys, etc. because they KNOW we're sharing these things with our own kids now and will not hesitate to buy them for our kids (and ourselves).

I agree, also with trends like movies based on superhero comics, retro video games available on modern technology, etc. it seems like we as a culture are blurring the lines more of what is "adult" and what is "childish".

My special interest is Disney cartoons, especially those of the classic characters (Mickey & friends), so I watch those all the time (and read comics about them). I also love Sofia the First on Disney Junior, and watch other cartoons (mostly ones from my childhood) on Netflix, and read children's books. I just find children's materials a lot more interesting than adults' ones, which often seem to be about stuff like romance or murder mysteries, which don't interest me.

I'd be happy to watch things from my childhood again, like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, or Gummi Bears, except for two things: 1) They are hard to find in watchable quality. 2) I already know how the episodes end.

You can buy the first 75 episodes of DuckTales on DVD, and I have digital copies of the last 25 (they're lower quality but still watchable) if you're interested.

I will deny this if you ever repeat it, but I am 35 and I like sponge bob, I just do, shut up.
You don't have to deny it. Even my father, who is 56 years old suffering of AS like me, still watches with me ( I am 22 by the way ) cartoons and child series on TV. My mother is amused when she is seeing us together like that laughing at silly moments in the cartoons. She considers us rather brothers than father to son relationship. And that's how I feel in this direction.

I've wished I was more normal for most of my life. But at the same time, I think "who wants to be like everyone else?" I do things that most people would probably say I'm too old for or "not normal". And here's where two of my favorite sayings come to mind. 1. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. 2. Normal is a dryer setting.

i'm the same way. still to this day (like right now) i watch things like spongebob, fairly odd parents, dog with a blog etc. I was actually a huge hannah montana fan when it was on. that was when i was like 24 or something. I used to be embarrassed by it, until i found this group. lol.

I'm 17 and I still love watching Spongebob and keeping my stuffed puppy with me. Not to mention, I collect some CD's in order for me to listen to music.

New Threads

Top Bottom