• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and childish behavior

Stephanie S.

I am very new to this whole thing and we are just starting to understand, but I have wondered about this for a while, I have a 16 year old daughter with Asperger's and she does not throw temper tantrums, but she still watches children's cartoons like Little Bear, Caillou etc. and plays with some toys still. Is that normal? Of course, she can act adult too, like she will sometimes watch shows like Degrassi and is starting to take an interest in learning how to drive, but she only does the more childlike activities in private. In public, she mostly acts like just like her peers around her, so she just does small things like that behind closed doors. I believe she does it as a comfort thing. Does that sound about right?

Thank you.

I am very new to this whole thing and we are just starting to understand, but I have wondered about this for a while, I have a 16 year old daughter with Asperger's and she does not throw temper tantrums, but she still watches children's cartoons like Little Bear, Caillou etc. and plays with some toys still. Is that normal? Of course, she can act adult too, like she will sometimes watch shows like Degrassi and is starting to take an interest in learning how to drive, but she only does the more childlike activities in private. In public, she mostly acts like just like her peers around her, so she just does small things like that behind closed doors. I believe she does it as a comfort thing. Does that sound about right?

Thank you.
Well I'm 32 and still have interest playing with Lego. There is adult groups around the world that plays with Lego and meet up. I still watch cartoons from my childhood.

I don't think there nothing wrong with her. There just some people rather do their one thing instead of doing common things a person does at their age group.

I'm 60 and love cartoons, play online games with the 'youngsters', and hold full on conversations with my cat.

Growing old I can't avoid, growing up is optional ;)

From some one who is 35 and has my little pony sheets, for me it is a bit of a comfort thing. I think we attach ourselves to what comforts us longer then NTs. I watched cartoons till I was about 20. I would only worry if comfort crosses the line into escape. Other wise (in my opinion) we have no right to judge what comforts us in private, as long as it not harming anyone or ourselves.

Thank you.

I am twenty-six, and I started watching My Little Pony earlier this month. I'd be happy to watch things from my childhood again, like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, or Gummi Bears, except for two things: 1) They are hard to find in watchable quality. 2) I already know how the episodes end.

I don't suppose anybody knows where I can find Ketchup Vampires: The Movie? It's not a comfort thing. It's no weirder than watching soaps is to an NT.

I am twenty-six, and I started watching My Little Pony earlier this month. I'd be happy to watch things from my childhood again, like Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, or Gummi Bears, except for two things: 1) They are hard to find in watchable quality. 2) I already know how the episodes end.

I don't suppose anybody knows where I can find Ketchup Vampires: The Movie? It's not a comfort thing. It's no weirder than watching soaps is to an NT.
Well I found the 2nd version of the movie which I included below

There is Tail spin too! I pick it up but have not watched it. Saving it for when I get sick and I need a little more comfort.

In Europe, but thank you! That is so awesome. Ordering now. :)
You will not be able to play the disc at less if you have an NTSC DVD player. In layman terms, a DVD player from Canada, USA or Japan that plays NTSC disc. You need to find the PAL version to play it in Europe.

You will not be able to play the disc at less if you have an NTSC DVD player. In layman terms, a DVD player from Canada, USA or Japan that plays NTSC disc. You need to find the PAL version to play it in Europe.

Right, I forgot. Thank you for that warning as well as the movie which I'm watching NOW!!! (emphasised for enthusiastic squealing)

Who defines what childish behavior and "adult" behavior is?

Honestly, looking at the stuff I spend my time on and stuff I like to do, it's not really the most "adult" stuff and to some extent I have little interest to do these things. Despite being in my early 30's I think I'm still stuck in my early 20's and it goes downhill from there with cartoons, toys and other related things. Most things people my age get into confuse the heck out of me...

I find most adult "things" are just status symbols. Car, house, furnishings, how good your lawn looks ect. That and adult past times are considered social things. Dinner with a friend, going out to a club, cook outs, ect. We don't understand social, nor care about status quo, so we keep our things :)

Note: If you're worried about the Orson Scott Card thing (putting away childish things), please remember a few things:

1) Card was way off base. Plus he wrote a book series about adult-on-the-inside children who are trained to kill. Also I've met adults (well, eighteen-ish neurotypical classmates from high school) who loved Hello Kitty. Granted, they might not have known it's a show for three-year-olds, they just liked it because it was popular, but still.

2) She is in her mid teens. Give her a break. It can't be that abnormal, even among NTs.

3) While I don't know what Little Bear or Calliou are, if she spent her early childhood lining up toys instead of what is usually considered playing with them, then maybe she feels she has some catching up to do.

Everyone, this woman never said she disliked her daughter's behavior, she never said she was trying to stop her daughter from watching such shows, etc, she simply was wanting to know if it was an AS thing and/or a comfort thing.
I think it might be.

Everyone, this woman never said she disliked her daughter's behavior, she never said she was trying to stop her daughter from watching such shows, etc, she simply was wanting to know if it was an AS thing and/or a comfort thing.
I think it might be.
Well I wouldn't say it is a AS thing as teens could have the same interest without AS.

QUite possible. And, given that it's "behind closed doors", the number of teens who do might be higher than we realize.
There was a comment I wanted to say earlier when the author made her post that a person likes kids stuff beyond their childhood could make good parent. I'm not suggesting her daughter to have a child but if she had one, I feel she might be a good parent.

New Threads

Top Bottom