• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and childish behavior

I think it is good to not let the boring stupid adult world squeeze all the wonder and fun out of life. Life is so much more than Dollar $ tallies, and points for social posturing. If you want to sail the seven seas or climb a big mountain, or watch a cartoon, or a cute bug on a leaf go do it. People who sit around waiting for social approval for everything end up with very boring lives.

Just go do it....:D ignore the complainers.

I think that's perfectly normal in aspieland. I'm 30 and I still eat banana :banana: sandwiches, carry my teddy :bearface: around the house, play with lego, marbles, playdough, toy cars :bluecar: :oncomingpolice: :rocket: (look its a rocket!!), paint childish pictures etc. I love milkshake. I eat with my fingers in public when I can get away with it. I would play with my daughters train tracks :) :bus: :tramcar: :trolleybus: CHOO CHOOOOOOOO) if we still had them. I still love em. I find myself getting sucked into kids programs on TV. I read teen fiction rather than adult books, all about wizards and dragons and mystical powers, although I do like a good crime but the adult fiction can be a bit dry sometimes. Its not that I cant read or am not educated - I have an honours degree in psychology at 2:1 (Upper second and damn nearly a first!!), but rather that I enjoy and find entertainment in "younger" forms of play.

Once I read an experty type person say that auties and aspies are not childish or immature, but we have simply not yet lost the joy of youth :frogface:

I've always grown up watching cartoons and I make sure that no one knows aside from family what I like. I love My Little Pony (80's cartoons and current) and Game Of Thrones (love seeing the dragons most of all, the CGI is amazing). Personally I'd rather watch cartoons then be a boring person, I've seen what "growing up" too fast leads to. I think the reason that most people say that is because they are jealous and want to bring you down.

My dad aged 57 still likes cartoons. My nan, dad, me and my daughter would all be content watching cartoons for several hours eating raw carrots with banana milkshake.

Hi Stephanie S. , Sigh! :rolleyes: apparently your question has been thoroughly answered by default, yes it is normal in aspie land to love cartoons, toys, childrens books, childrens movies, anything imaginative children would like, much longer and more than adults. But I think what you were really asking is do aspies grow older biologically and mentally slower than Nts, with some variation the answer is yes. There seem to be studies indicating this, or you can just look at my picture, living proof. It isn't all bad tho, we reap allot of benefits on the back end, we can have a much higher quality of life in the later years than NTs, there is some karma in being a auti. or aspie. . I'm not sure I would give up me if offered a magic pill, some of me is pretty great, I would like to think I'm more interesting than the average NT.:D

So look for that hidden greatness lurking somewhere inside of your girl, there is no telling how high she will fly later in life. And watching cartoons just shows good taste in my opinion. :rolleyes:
I was going to say much the same thing. I think Aspies can and do age appropriate things but tend to think younger than NT's.
I'm pretty sure my father was Aspie and he used to tell me he still felt 25 inside, even when in his 80's. I'm now 67 and feel exactly the same way.
Also I think maybe we like to revisit a time when we felt happiest and most carefree and get comfort from that. For me my happiest time was in my twenties, and I love to listen to 70's music, go to see bands and attend music festivals. I also still dress much the same as I did then too.
I would not be concerned about your daughter Stephanie. She clearly knows how she is expected to behave when others are around.

I don’t know what I would do without my plushies and toys being able to hold a plush just makes me relax and it’s comforting I don’t care if anybody says your too old for that if they are gonna be like that it’s their problem not mine and I always watched cartoons since I was little I’m a young adult but I don’t care

My NT dad likes watching the penguins of madagascar and the minions movie. The idea that something is childish is a concept that society sort of forces upon people. If you like so called childish things, you do you. I wouldn't worry about your daughter. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom