• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspergers and acting?

What about being a VA? It's usually just you in a sound booth with a mic, and then like one or two audio engineers and then maybe the director of the film/movie/game/whatever.
Now that would be fun but it would not be easy to have access to a sound booth, mic, engineers and director! But if they are looking for auties, I might try that.

Now that would be fun but it would not be easy to have access to a sound booth, mic, engineers and director! But if they are looking for auties, I might try that.
I'm pretty sure they'd look for somebody who is good at voice acting. Unless they're people in charge of the auditions for the early Resident Evil Games . . .

I have done some amateur drama, though I prefer the backstage, I have acted in a few parts.

What I found easy about acting was following a script, going where the director told me etc.

Some people worried I would get "stage fright" or at least nerves,, but onstage I had none. However I also didn't get the "buzz" that everyone else apparently gets.

I do get that buzz from doing the technical stuff, the timing of a cue etc.

When I did act it was a basic "method acting", in that I assumed the character during the play.

I'm not good at either acting or singing. I can't relate to the script and I don't know how the character is supposed to feel, and even if I do, I don't know how to express that. And with singing, I have a very monotone voice. When I sing, it's either very flat or very flat and high pitched. But oh, how I love to sing!

A great actor draws on the experiences they had in life. They literally relive that experience while they are portraying something. If the script requires the actor to respond to the death of a beloved character, they will dig down deep into when something similar happened to them.

If they haven't had that particular experience, they will try to study other people who have experienced deep grief. It is a way to get at the emotion vicariously thru empathy. They will then imagine someone beloved to them dying and try to experience it that way.

The same principle applies to any other emotion and to any other role, whether it be playing a drunk, a soldier, or a lover or whatever. Or expressing happiness or sadness or joy or anger. The great ones are really angry at the moment they express anger for an audience.

A good actor is just a mimic. But then, there are lots of good actors. Some of them make as much money as the great ones. But the difference between a Dustin Hoffman and a merely good actor is really obvious if you compare them.

I don't believe for a heartbeat there is any reason why a person has to be (fill in the blank) in order to play (fill in the blank.) It's acting. Anthony Hopkins does not need to be a cannibal to be an astounding Hannibal Lector.

I think it has something to do with empathy. Most asd are empathic people. So we take in those feelings. Then we can rerelease it. Plus imagery can bring back hard feelings. Which can be in handy.

New Threads

Top Bottom