• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD in Rural Areas

Evil Genius

We run the world...
V.I.P Member
Does anyone else here have experience with living with ASD in a rural area? Do you experience intolerance, misunderstanding, or just downright a-hole type behavior because people don't get you and they will never try to? I'd love for people to share their stories. Maybe we can help each other in that respect.

We tried living in a rural type area for three years. It was hell! Perhaps we just chose the wrong property, but we were constantly annoyed by inconsiderate behavior from other people around us so we moved back into the city. At least the noise ordinance is enforced in most cities!

I actually had the sheriff come in to my now former job and get all rowdy up in my face about some issues he was having with his website hosting. I was told he was running for office unopposed. I was really tempted to run against him, but I wouldn't be a good employee if I did that. I need to check and see if I could get on the general election ballot against him.

i lived in a residential home in a rural area in cheshire, and the people who lived in or visted the area were awesome,they didnt treat me like a lot of 'townies' do and make disablist comments or ask my support staff in a patronising way about my autism usually as their child has it,i had two support staff at all times and i looked very obvious because of my behaviors and use of makaton sign language,so it was easier for people to understand that i was disabled at least if they didnt understand autism. the people had a lot of manners,and now i live in manchester borough in a busy area where people are horrible.

i lived in a residential home in a rural area in cheshire, and the people who lived in or visted the area were awesome,they didnt treat me like a lot of 'townies' do and make disablist comments or ask my support staff in a patronising way about my autism usually as their child has it,i had two support staff at all times and i looked very obvious because of my behaviors and use of makaton sign language,so it was easier for people to understand that i was disabled at least if they didnt understand autism. the people had a lot of manners,and now i live in manchester borough in a busy area where people are horrible.

Even proving that those of us on here sometimes don't think things through, I said ASD but was thinking Aspie. I can imagine how the tables might be turned for someone with support staff where rural might be better. Thanks for that insight.

no problem evil genious,i do recommend cheshire if your ever planning on a move,the people are a lot more well spoken [i think thats the term] and they generally dont bash you for any reason,im trans to and when strangers have called me miss or refered to me as a girl and they find out im a trans bloke,they cant apologise enough.

have you ever thought of moving to botton [i think thats what its called,its in yorkshire], its probably the most accomodating place in the UK for all spectrummers.

Cheshire is a big county so I don't think one can generalise. I grew up on the borders of cheshire, greater Manchester and Derbyshire. I got verbally and physically attacked a few times for being 'different', called a mong and a spaz, and followed round by youths for looking at them 'funny'.

During my teenage years. I live in a rural area in north Idaho USA. And although there were no kids living in the community where I was. There was a small school that I went to in that area and it was a living hell. And although school was hell. Home life was rather peaceful. Most all of the people that live in my community were retired 65 and older.

I guess living in rural America is different to rural England. I find people living in the countryside to be just as understanding as those who live in cities even if I am living in a county that's a Conservative stronghold.

I am super lucky. I live in a rural (woodsy, green, nature-y) area of a suburb.
I live mainly independently, but have picture schedules and support staff a few times per week to help.
People are kind to me. Neighbors know I am different. That's okay. They do their best, and so do I.

I am super lucky. I live in a rural (woodsy, green, nature-y) area of a suburb.

Ever get out there and climb those trees. I use to climb trees and freedive in the lake in my rural area. I don't know where you live, but in my area. We had trees that were over 150ft(50m) tall.

My original question came about because of all the recent goings on that I've talked about in the following thread. I've encountered this rough push back two jobs in a row. The last job just felt like utter hostility, which is why it gave me problems with my physical health. The most recent one, however, lulled me in as nice and accepting, only to discover the wool pulled over my eyes in a special form of intolerance. Both of these jobs have been in different rural areas, which is why I am now seeking to not stay in my specific industry segment that I have for the last decade.

Nobody even suspected I was autie as a younger person. I feel I had an advantage growing up in a rural setting that offered varied experiences and chances to learn more about my world. We had wide open spaces combined with wooded areas in a hilly area dotted with farmlands. I got to spread my wings there and now once again live in a semi-rural setting in a small coal mining patch town nestled between two creeks and walking distance from the mighty Monongahela river that flows towards the point in Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania USA. Cool thing too is that I love to fish ;)

When I moved to Clarksville a few years back,I had forgotten that the mornings here would always be damp and generally foggy,but generally dried up before noon on the sunny days.I get to ride my bicycles daily weather permitting in a somewhat safe environment.That to me makes my day and is healthy as well. I did ride in the city when I was younger,but it was scary to say the least. I saw a ton of stuff that I wish I had never seen in the city,but it also made me stronger as I saw how horrible the human experience is for many and feel better knowing that I wasn't raised in that type of setting.

My time spent living in the city was a constant hum of traffic and the general bustle of it all. After five years of city life,I returned to my rural settings and had trouble sleeping without the din of the city as the background noise and had to have a TV or radio on to sleep well.

Being involved in motorsports is generally in a noisy environment and just a part of that lifestyle. Now I get upset because I can't make a ton of noise until after 9 am and have to be quiet at 9 pm. Some of my neighbors accept me as that eccentric old guy that loves to play with his loud toys and give me a lot of slack. I think the rest of them consider me too crazy to mess with and leave my a$s alone.

The city was a scary place looking back on it all,but an enlightening look at another life at the same time.

My advice to some of you is to just leave this sometimes noisy long-haired country boy alone :p

I've always lived in a rural area. School was hell, that was/is a lot of damage to undo, but it wasn't because anyone was discriminating against my AS; it was because I was different. Even as an adult, even after I've learned to act like one of them I still can't hide my AS 100% so I'll get people who are apprehensive of me, mostly, and occasionally condescending. The condescending bit pisses me off, mostly because I don't know whether to confront them or start doing math problems to un**** their attitude.

To the very few people I have disclosed to, the personal relationship ends very quickly. Hell, I even offhandedly mentioned it to my stylist of three years while she was cutting my hair. The graceful and skillful dance that was her with a pair of scissors all of a sudden came to a screeching halt for a few seconds. She recovered, I guess, and kept going, but much more slowly; she stood as far away from me as she could while finishing up, and gone too was the chatter. Dead silence. I got the message and went elsewhere after that.

The way it was explained to me: people reject what falls outside their idea of "normal", as we are all keenly aware. However, "normal" is a spectrum itself, a spectrum that tends to be smaller in rural areas. In rural areas (at least the ones I've lived in), if you're a man you had better drive a lifted pickup with a "Calvin pissing" sticker in the window, wear full camo even when not hunting, drink cheap domestic beer but only of the brands advertised during football games, and I could go on but that particular spectrum of "normal" is like this: |---| Anything falling outside those boundaries is subject to scrutiny and judgment.

In contrast, I could probably walk down the street in San Francisco carrying a sign that says "I am married to a black woman" and not be hassled in any way, shape, or form (I use San Francisco as an example because it's generally accepted as the most socially progressive city in America). Their spectrum of "normal" is like this: |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

So I guess I drifted a bit with the above example of my take on the issue as a whole, which isn't actually my opinion but was used to persuade me that I'd be better off in a big city - less likely to be singled out and possibly easier to maintain a social life since my world doesn't revolve around killing dumb animals with a high-powered rifle and calling it "sport". Then again, someone else who has the credibility to speak on such matters told me not to move to a city because my AS/depressive qualities will just make me isolate myself in the middle of millions of people, so I don't really know do I?

I've always lived in a rural area. School was hell, that was/is a lot of damage to undo, but it wasn't because anyone was discriminating against my AS; it was because I was different. Even as an adult, even after I've learned to act like one of them I still can't hide my AS 100% so I'll get people who are apprehensive of me, mostly, and occasionally condescending. The condescending bit pisses me off, mostly because I don't know whether to confront them or start doing math problems to un**** their attitude.

To the very few people I have disclosed to, the personal relationship ends very quickly. Hell, I even offhandedly mentioned it to my stylist of three years while she was cutting my hair. The graceful and skillful dance that was her with a pair of scissors all of a sudden came to a screeching halt for a few seconds. She recovered, I guess, and kept going, but much more slowly; she stood as far away from me as she could while finishing up, and gone too was the chatter. Dead silence. I got the message and went elsewhere after that.

The way it was explained to me: people reject what falls outside their idea of "normal", as we are all keenly aware. However, "normal" is a spectrum itself, a spectrum that tends to be smaller in rural areas. In rural areas (at least the ones I've lived in), if you're a man you had better drive a lifted pickup with a "Calvin pissing" sticker in the window, wear full camo even when not hunting, drink cheap domestic beer but only of the brands advertised during football games, and I could go on but that particular spectrum of "normal" is like this: |---| Anything falling outside those boundaries is subject to scrutiny and judgment.

In contrast, I could probably walk down the street in San Francisco carrying a sign that says "I am married to a black woman" and not be hassled in any way, shape, or form (I use San Francisco as an example because it's generally accepted as the most socially progressive city in America). Their spectrum of "normal" is like this: |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

So I guess I drifted a bit with the above example of my take on the issue as a whole, which isn't actually my opinion but was used to persuade me that I'd be better off in a big city - less likely to be singled out and possibly easier to maintain a social life since my world doesn't revolve around killing dumb animals with a high-powered rifle and calling it "sport". Then again, someone else who has the credibility to speak on such matters told me not to move to a city because my AS/depressive qualities will just make me isolate myself in the middle of millions of people, so I don't really know do I?

More likely to isolate yourself, yes. But isn't being isolated in plain sight just as damaging? The cool thing where I live right now is that my son, who will likely end up with an ASD diagnosis himself, are around adults that encourage other kids his age to be accepting of "people that think differently". But 90% of the adults around here are closeted assholes. My therapist is 2 hours away. He works out of a remote office 30 minutes away, but that isn't even on a regular schedule. My NT wife loves me and tries to understand, but is still speaking of some of my habits as if I am a NT. In the city, I'd have access to a therapist, other people like me, support groups, as well as more people that are ok with the fact I am not necessarily in their "normal".

That's my two cents on it. But here is what really matters. If you feel like you need to leave the rural area you are in, do it. Make yourself say "I am right, and others are haters".

New Threads

Top Bottom