• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD Detox (deotxing from my ASD)

Hi all,

I'm trying to get away from being a person with ASD, not with crap like SSRI'S or awful crap like antipsychotics,

but, what my 'ASD' brain has researched is that, mTOR is overactive in people with ASD, So I'm looking up ways to decrease mTOR,

the first is way to decrease mTOR is to fast, so I have started not eat anything,

a paper also came up that green tea helps decrease mTOR, so I'm drinking that too, but I also have two broken feat, and one ingrown toe nail, and taking antibiotics, which make me feel crap..

I also only eat now on my diet is this:
chilli (the hot kind), I the whole hot chilli and spit it back out, I do this to get the endorphins going, you know the rush.. its hot but its a good rush. its like a good rush ........

and of course green tea....

what's your opinion on this?
will it get of my ASD?

I'll bite, reluctantly.

First, it's just as well that you don't try medications, because there aren't any that can cure or treat essential symptoms, only a few drugs that are known to assist daily functioning for their action on secondary ones.

Second, reducing overactivated mTor signaling by fasting or eating specific foods is a nonstarter. If any of that worked, somebody would already be making millions with the Autism Diet. Poor nutrition is only going to exacerbate your symptoms, as it would with any medical or psychological condition.

ASDs aren't curable. Do yourself a favor and dedicate your energy to learning to accept yourself as you are and being the best darn autistic you can be.

Last edited:
While the mTOR hypothesis may have some merit for further research, I think what you're doing is going to do you more harm than good in the long run.

If nothing else, your body is in a state where it's attempting to repair. That takes energy, and you need to fuel it properly.

More generally, your body needs fuel or it won't function properly, period, and then ASD will be the least of your worries.

Also, why do you want to get rid of your ASD? You don't have to tell me, but think about what your reasons are that are driving you to this kind of extreme. It sounds to me like you don't have much support in your life. I recommend you peruse the resources on this site and see if you can find more positive things/people to surround yourself with and who accept you and can help you accept yourself.

what about these?
Psilocybe_semilanceata_6514.jpg

what about these?
image.png

Psilocybin has possibly shown to be affective for OCD in some circumstances and as far as i know that is the most promising therapeutic use "coming down the pipeline". [And honestly it does look very promising]
I haven't heard a lot about ASD.

Two things to consider:

though those on the spectrum who are NOT comorbidly diagnosed with OCD can often also exhibit some behaviors that seem to be obsessive, the mechanism in how these behaviors manifest is different. So to assume that psilocybin would be helpful in the same way would be a faulty assumption.

simply munching on a bunch of boomers once in a while won't have a long term affect on your daily behavior. So one WERE to find it helpful for whatever reason? You are looking at high investment time wise and in terms of frequent GI discomfort. There are ways around that- but it's constant compensation. Also, you are dealing with legal issues, potential that what you are growing or buying is not consistent in potency or is potentially actually lethally toxic, or that you think it's helping but you are actually just detaching from reality- the more likely situation. So, what's the benefit there?

And, really? Either we can talk about hallucinogenic mushrooms for medicinal use on this board or we can't- and moderator staff will make that call. So trying to be all subversive is just confusing.

TL;DR

Let's call them hallucinogenic mushrooms because we can discuss them as a matter of board policy or not so just refer to them as what they are. Not really recommended because they don't actually address anything and are likely to cause more problems rather than actually help anything.

As much as I'd like to believe everything suggested in this thread, I'm inclined to ask for a few sources about this mTOR stuff, mushrooms and whatever else anyone is suggesting.

We've had a few topics similar to this and those ended up being nothing more than someone trying to find justification to smoke marijuana in the end.

I'm not going to close the thread yet, but if we're going to start debating "cures" and start suggesting the grey area of "drugs" (since legality is varying all over the globe; and this is an international forum), I don't think it's much of a luxury to request some sources for these claims.

On a personal note; I'm the last one to argue about drugs and how "bad" they might or might not be. I'm merely trying to clear up this thread and make it more comprehensible for moderating purposes as well as for others to read.

For clarification- I'm not actually proposing anyone go hunt down mushrooms for any particular issue.
Quite the opposite.
I would be happy to provide references. I'm not sure from what perspective I should be offering them.

[eta: I have some but I realized I need this cleared up]

I'm inclined to ask for a few sources about this mTOR stuff,

To clarify the mTOR part for you, King_Oni, the mTOR pathway is an intercellular signaling cascade integral to regulation of the human cell cycle. A few studies by researchers including Brett Abrahams and Daniel Geschwind of UCLA (2008) suggest a connection between mTOR dysregulation and autism. Questions surrounding the mTOR pathway and autism have been under investigation for about ten years now.

Not sure the peppers are a good route to curing/stopping autism. The ones deepest into the spectrum in my family are all pepperholics, and if gnawin' on a habanero only results in their honeys getting blistered lips, I'm not sure it's a fool-proof plan. I'm more of a cayenne person myself, it has better flavor under the heat. Jalapenos are just too bitter.

Aside from the fact I am highly attached to my OCD and it has very, very few negatives in my life, I would never go hunting mushrooms to "cure" it. I don't even like the ones in the grocery store! Forget about any weird ones that make me feel bad.

Why would anyone want to cure their ASD?
because after 60yr or so it gets realllllllllllly wearisome? It's a wish, but I realize I don't get to be Pinocchio.

chilliboy - what my 'ASD' brain has researched is that there are over 100 genetic variations that are directly linked to ASD, and that the ASD brain shows structural differences to the non-ASD brain. So no, your hypothesis is flawed. No food, no nutrient, no medicinal, or lack thereof will rid you of ASD. As a biological organism you need to consume certain quantities of certain substances; proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, etc. When that balance is off, your systems are stressed in ways not always foreseeable. If you can't find a doctor with a clue, or don't trust them, at least try to find a nutritionist to help. Detoxing your food supply as a whole could help, going to raw foods or those you know were processed without added chemicals. A healthy body has an amazing capacity to heal itself.

Your digestive tract is a finely-balanced system of strong acids/alkalis that needs to process food at regular intervals or your internal tissues can be physically damaged. Plus, by only chewing, then spitting out your "food" you're getting no nutrition at all and could be heading for a major eating disorder.

I'm not saying that there are not biochemical or neurochemical issues at play, but everybody's different in the details and embarking on such an extreme course, because internet, without at least properly establishing your baseline chemistry could prove a dangerous thing. Of course, if you continue your present course your experiment will succeed, but only because you starve to death. No, sorry, check that - it MAY succeed, but reincarnation gives no guarantee of you being ASD-free next time around.

So, that's my opinion anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom