• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AS + Impulsivity

Today i couldnt park my car correctly because i didnt find enought place and when i tried some driver passing by honked, I was stressed and a few moments later I just screamed in my car ...does that count as impulsivity?

I also always have violent ideas in my mind that i just try to ignore when i am in a situation i dont like, i think of shouting , throwing stuff, breaking stuff, a lot.

When at home or when or when i managed to be alone outside I also often jump in place or do some weird stuff... is all of this related ? ^^'

Not sure if it counts as an impulse but in a bit, I'm paying £45 on a new Taekwondo suit, a black and white one to match what some of the others in my class wear, even though I have the standard white suit which I've won for over a year now.

And Mum's consented to my purchase of a He Man costume on eBay for Comic Con on the condition that I send 2 of the costumes I have in my dressing up box at home to the local Charity shop, I've consented to send the Banana Man outfit I bought last year, because I've only ever worn it about twice.

As I said I think we pretty much all have an impulse. Just not the same one. I think your impulse is the type where you think about it first, then decide whether or not to do it. The other impulse would be do any of those things you were thinking about (or worse), quickly and without even thinking about it until later.

Today i couldnt park my car correctly because i didnt find enought place and when i tried some driver passing by honked, I was stressed and a few moments later I just screamed in my car ...does that count as impulsivity?

I also always have violent ideas in my mind that i just try to ignore when i am in a situation i dont like, i think of shouting , throwing stuff, breaking stuff, a lot.

When at home or when or when i managed to be alone outside I also often jump in place or do some weird stuff... is all of this related ? ^^'
Hmmm.. thinking about throwing stuff and not actually doing it would be impulse control. I mean as an adult you'd expect someone not to just throw random stuff around strangers.. however as an adult some of us will punch walls when no one is looking, or act irrationally when driving such as shouting, not just to ourselves, but at other drivers. I think that may be an example of impulsivity more than what youve described. The jumping in place thing I dont know what that is.. lol.. hyperactivity? Maybe it helps you think.

Hmmm.. thinking about throwing stuff and not actually doing it would be impulse control. I mean as an adult you'd expect someone not to just throw random stuff around strangers.. however as an adult some of us will punch walls when no one is looking, or act irrationally when driving such as shouting, not just to ourselves, but at other drivers. I think that may be an example of impulsivity more than what youve described. The jumping in place thing I dont know what that is.. lol.. hyperactivity? Maybe it helps you think.

Plus if you chuck a massive hissy fit in public you'd likely get arrested on public disorder charges.

I get exactly that.

Impulse and sudden interest that occupies all my thoughts until I do it or don't do it.

I'm also ADHD.

I've cut my own hair a few times, and it's usually fine. I think that's more driven by asd though as I hate fluffy bits of hair on my neck.

ADHD impulse used to make me "improve" things.

Like improving car performance by cutting chunks out the air box, even though my wife had warned me that I better not touch the car because it was only 6 months old.

Not impressed when she caught me.

Car was faster though.

I mostly wrecked my first motorcycle in that way. I remember leaning it against a tree so I could drop the engine out to paint the frame.

It never worked again for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom