• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

As an Aspie, do you drive?

As an Aspie, do you drive?

• Yes

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I've passed a test but don't have a car

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
I don't drive. I run into stuff often enough just walking. Being aware enough of thousands of pounds of steel projecting out from my body with tremendous forces and energy involved and lives on the line is just asking for trouble. It takes 110% of my focus to try to be safe, even then I make mistakes, and in the groggy trip to work and the exhausted trip back, I deffinately can't give that much. Interacting with drivers on the road in order to know where and when to go seems to me as social a situation as any.

I drive & I love it! Well apart from the costs involved if you can't help but keep to the speed limit....
I was lucky to have a nice small car that did 56mpg & was a sporting model as my first car, it was a naughty car tbh. My friends could all probably say that I'd invariably have a silly grin on my face after a good run around the back lanes or even after a drive home after work. Ah good times trying to make things work for a relationships future.

It was a big step.. Ownership, the responsibility of such an expensive, large & potentially dangerous object... an unknown that could be of great benefit or an immense liability. Soon though I was in my element, it was 13 years since I'd passed my test with no driving in those 13 years; it all came flooding back & I was free.

The best part was I was driving to work every day, cutting my teeth on a 26 mile back road. It's a very technical run, with hills, crazy 90 degree bends on hills, U bends & other craziness, 26 there & 26 back. Saw the sun rise as I headed east & saw the sun set as I headed home.. it was food for soul experiencing such beauty. Wish I'd got my act together earlier & had these experiences earlier in my life, though really I am happy I have such freedom so I don't lament not doing it earlier. :D

I do have my drivers license (got it 20 years ago), but I rarely drive. I will just take the car if my husband isn't there to drive and if it's an emergency. Driving makes me very anxious and I just start sweating like a pig, my mouth becomes super dry and all my muscles are tense. I really feel horrible when I drive. I will also always pick the safest and most familiar route for me even if it makes the trip a lot longer and I always have this huge fear of getting lost.

I really wish I wouldn't react like this behind the wheel, because it gives me less freedom. I would love to be able to go where ever I want when I want it. Sometimes I hate myself for being like this.

Got my license at 21 (am currently 32 1/2). Was not aware of having Autism when I got my license. I passed first try with a 96.

To answer the question of the topic, yes I drive. Usually every day. Gym, post office, grocery, parents house, and sometimes a mall or two just to get off the friggin couch.

I think the aspie traits help me be a better driver. It's all mechanical, I can visualize the clutch engagement and gears and everything as I drive, and any noise or problem I pretty much know what it is, etc. Much better than waiting till something breaks. And around here things don't stop for ice and snow, so it helps me control the car better.

Of course the part I hate is the other drivers, especially how so many are either drunk or on their high wealthy horse. So I choose routes and times to minimize encounters with others. Another thing that's probably aspie is I have better than average navigation skill, so I can often take a side route at will when there's crap going on ahead. I don't have a smartphone or GPS. Or time it so I get my daughter back and get back home before the super bowl is over, etc. I also avoid living in places with busy highways or freeways. The big city here is about 15000 people and that's still way too big for me. Had a job there and quit it because of the traffic.

Yes, I drive. I'm in the UK and learnt to drive in a manual car so have a licence that permits me to drive manual and automatic.

I passed my test around 30 years ago after having 12 lessons; I'd never driven prior to having lessons. I learnt very quickly and passed my driving test first time. It was easier then as there was way, way less traffic on the roads. I wouldn't want to be a learner driver now as it's so busy!!

Some days I can't cope with driving - lack of focus, fatigue etc, but I know my limitations and stick to them.

Yes. Here in the US, got serious about it at 20 with a couple of lessons in the parking lot and a few trips to the local store. Passed the written test with flying colors but nearly failed the driving portion due to a mistake with some instructions. (That, and well...you have to check your mirrors every now and then and other petty by-the-book stuff that they test you for, blah blah blah) I was nervous the whole time, turned left when I should have made a right...the lady who was with me was not happy with that :)

Regardless of that, got my DL the first try and have been driving for about a decade now. It's definitely helped a lot, no more relying on public transportation, no more rides from other people or taking a bike to get where I need to go.

Last edited:
I want to be able to drive but think it would be “overload” for me. I have no idea how I’d handle it. There are so many signs and rules and laws. Plus I have a slow reaction speed.
I’m also very easily distracted by signs (told I was easily distracted as a kid) and would crash.

Sometimes when I’m on the road when my mum drives I get distracted and I wonder how people can keep their eyes on the road..especially on scenery.

I’m also scared because of the high car crashing death rate in my country. So many hav died so far this year. I’ve been in a very minor accident (someone shot out from being parked and we were going slow speed. It hit the car a little but it shocked me) and have seen a near totalled car and I freaked and had an emotional reaction (my mum and stepdad were in it and nearly died..csr flipped multiple times)

I have random physcial sensations in my body like gripping chest pain (no idea what this is but assume a spasm because of my stomach issues)...it would be unsafe

Unfortunately not being able to drive hinders getting a job and what people think of you

Meh, that was 15 years ago, I was 27, I'm a lot older and calmer now.
Fair enough. If you get to a point where you can afford to and can benefit from it, it may be worth trying again. If not, you'll be with plenty of people can't or don't drive.

I've not had an autism assessment yet so I won't touch this thread's poll, but I will say that I do/can drive a car or a motorbike. I love my piaggio MP3 motortrike.

I never got my license, couldn’t afford it. Now I can afford it, but I don’t have time for lessons. Someday...

I never got my license, couldn’t afford it. Now I can afford it, but I don’t have time for lessons. Someday...
I hope you can, someday. I think it's very worth it for the independence it can bring alone. All the best to it happening!

I hope you can, someday. I think it's very worth it for the independence it can bring alone. All the best to it happening!
It definitely helps. Luckily I live in an area with great public transport, and I cycle to every destination within my city.

Around here public transport is mostly nonexistent. They do have a county transit bus but it's hit or miss if they'll even show up. The next county has absolutely nothing. You really either need to drive, or live in town. Which is still not laid out well for walkers or bikers.

It'd be horrible if I couldn't drive. I primarily drive for work and errands. But I also drive to desolate places to get away from people. If I had to have someone take me to such places, what's the point?

I do drive. In the US if you're not in any major cities knowing how to drive & access to a car is very important. Else you are really stuck. If I need food the closest supermarket is a few miles down the road. If I need clothes, or even just a snack nothing is within easy walking distance ( defined by me as no more than 15-20min walk). I've been driving since 18 (I failed the written test twice & the drivi g test twice IIRC) & that was 2 years later than any of my peers. Seems a lot of my milestones were on the late side...

I'd like to, but I don't really have the coordination and there's too many idiots who drive like they got their license from a cereal box; plus I'd be saving money by just using public transport anyways, and not have to worry about the raising gas prices (currently around $1.40 here) or maintenance costs

New Threads

Top Bottom