• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

As an Aspie, do you drive?

As an Aspie, do you drive?

• Yes

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I've passed a test but don't have a car

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if there is one designed specifically for car fires. the one in my truck is rated for Ordinary combustibles, Flammable liquids, and Electrical fires.

I know it's shocking, that some people don't have those in their cars. Last some summer I was working on engine crew in Oregon. We had the firetruck parked, on the side of the road the engine was running as we were using the PTO to run the pump. I think it was probably the exhaust that got hot, but a few minutes we ended up catching the grass on Fire underneath the firetruck. It was kind of embarrassing.

What!! You mean there are people who do not have those basic things in there vehicle? Of course you are right, Rayner. I also like to keep a tool kit in my wife's car. As for my truck, well, it is a service truck.

I don't know anyone who has any of these things in their car. People just assume they'll be able to call whichever breakdown company they're with.

I don't know anyone who has any of these things in their car. People just assume they'll be able to call whichever breakdown company they're with.

I guess it just depends on where you are. In a urban setting there is usually lots of help available. Here in the western USA, there is a lot of wide open spaces. I have been to places where there isn't much of anything, much less help. In rural settings like this, if you have a problem, you are probably going to have to handle it yourself. So it is a good idea to be prepared.

Yes, I suppose it's relative to where you are most of the time. In town...it's not so critical. However out in the desert the most important things to have are potable water, blankets and a full tank of gas.

No, I have poor hand eye co-ordination. That's one of my least favorite things about my disability- That I can't drive.

I don't drive but I do have my license. I've driven before, yea. As of now, I'll happily go without, not because of any issues. It's just more money when I can just use my bike.

Like I said in the OP, I used to have lessons, and before that I used to drive Mum's car round an old Industrial estate when they were closed on a Sunday, and also round Morrisons' car park before they started opening on Sundays.

Topic.

I had lessons about 3 years before I was formally diagnosed Aspie, after about 6 months the instructor basically turned round and said I'd never pass a test and he felt bad taking my money for lessons, this was in a manual car.

A few years later I applied to the DVLA for a P license, and got turned down, they said due to my disabilities I wouldn't be able to control a car safely, and because I'm Aspie and get mad easily, I'd be a candidate for "Road Rage" (WTF?!)

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm specifically asking UK members, but others can answer if they've also been turned down for similar reasons.

I still think I could have lessons in an Automatic vehicle, but I don't get high enough benefits for a "Motability" vehicle, which would be the only way I'd ever afford a car.
What the heck? Where'd they get a idea like that? Is the media that strong?

No harm in continuing to try. Best of luck.

Point taken. Can't help but wonder how far one might get focused on an automatic as opposed to securing driver training and ultimately a license for manual transmission vehicles.

Once you learn a stick-shift, you eventually discover you don't even notice when you're using it. Where it becomes second nature. But hey....that skill doesn't come easily or quickly. At least it didn't for me. Had I had to test for a first time license with a stick-shift, I would have been in trouble.

Driving an automatic allowed me to focus on the basics- the rules of the road. Probably the best way to go through lessons and then to on to the formal licensing test itself. Though it must put a spin on it all if manual transmission vehicles are still quite common in Britain.

It still shocks me to hear this isn't so in the US any more. Sad, but that's the direction the buying public has been taking. Now it's all about CVTs and DCTs. Though I get the impression that a portion of manufacturers are dropping the use and development of automatic- dual clutch transmissions. Though one thing that hasn't changed as well is that an automatic continues to costs more and likely provides a few more miles per gallon.

I'm not sure if there is one designed specifically for car fires. the one in my truck is rated for Ordinary combustibles, Flammable liquids, and Electrical fires.
My performance vehicles always have a fire extinguisher mounted in them.
My running joke is to always use a contingency sticker placed on the can.
The sticker you might ask?

holley.jpg

Medical evidence mate, provided by my Parents.
You know I was thinking about it. You might not be trying to be crafty in terms of speaking around people. People usually are like rivers, they want you to flow in their direction. They want you to think the way their brain processes information. Maybe if you start appealing to their humanity. Subliminally suggest that being all judgemental in below him. That he is in control but he should feel guilty pinning all us folk as bad. Etc. It is not an easy strategy I can explain as it is too flexible. Something you have to probe with wording. See what works and doesn't.

I'm in the US, so the rules are different, but I can drive both manual and automatic, but the manual I learned on my own...it wasn't part of the learning process. I am older though. In my day, you took a written test and, if you passed it, you took a driving test with a state employee. When it came time to take my driving part, I was the only one who showed up (in my day, you could get a permit at 14 and a license at 16...I waited until I was 16 and then only got one because my parents made me get a job, so I needed transportation...we don't have public transport here). The lady at the driver's office asked my mother if I could drive, mother said "yes" and she stamped it "OK" and that was it. I didn't have to take the driver's part. I got lucky.

Having said that, I am a VERY good driver and I think my Asperness makes me a more contentious driver because I'm hyper-aware of my surroundings. I tend to go the speed limit too. Knock on wood...I have never had a wreck in my entire life other than a very minor fender bender about two days after I got my license that the cop didn't even write up because there was no damage (it was my fault FYI and it made me scared to drive for a long time afterwards...I was trying to get the attention of a boy behind me, I was 16 after all and trying to fake being an NT).

But I also have SEVERE road rage that will probably get me shot one day because I tend to cuss and scream and throw my hands around violently ALL the time! In the States and in Arkansas we have what is called a conceal and carry permit which means you can carry a gun in your car with this permit, but I refuse to get one (or a gun for that matter) because I don't trust myself. Besides, I don't really see the point of carrying a gun in your car...this is Northeast Arkansas after all, not L.A. or New York City. Rednecks man.

About every four years, you get your driver's license renewed, but it's just a simple eye test, a new photo, and money. They don't take your mental status into consideration (at least not yet).

Yes, but I require a GPS to get anywhere unfamiliar. I'm unable to navigate my way through unfamiliar places without a visual-spatial aid.

Yes, but I require a GPS to get anywhere unfamiliar. I'm unable to navigate my way through unfamiliar places without a visual-spatial aid.
I can go one way just fine, but it's the return trip I ALWAYS have to use GPS for, even to places I've been dozens of times. I can't see the path backwards for some reason and I can't memorize it as a different trip.

Would it be worth me applying to the DLVA again for a P license with a view to lessons in an Automatic? Bearing in mind I would never afford a car unless I could somehow get a Motability vehicle?

New Threads

Top Bottom