• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a coffee drinker?

I think individual is the key word in your question. There'll be no yes/no answer that covers every individual on the spectrum. Also, autism often has co-morbidities which might affect the benefits or disadvantages or consuming caffeine, and also in what amounts. With my ADHD I find coffee is a good medication free way of getting moments of better concentration.

Ed

I don´t understand why always this drawer behavior. why always putting people into a drawer. I don´t think that´s senseful and each person is different, even autistic people are different. there is a saying "when you know one autist, then you only know one autist." and no that´s not a NT thing, autistic people here in the forum do that too. (putting people into drawers). they put themself in the "autism drawer" and others in the "NT drawer."

that´s pure black-white thinking and not represents the real world.

sure maybe there are sometimes tendencies and some autistic people tend to something and most not, but it´s also about how questions are formulated.

to answer the question, I can drink coffee without any problems, I don´t have caffeine over-sensitivity or something like that. in the past I thought that I not bear coffee, but I think the coffee was just too strong.

Last edited:
I always drink too much of anything with caffeine, and right now it's around 5:AM and l didn't sleep the entire night because of a hit of Java at 2:00 AM.

I love coffee ice cream, so delicious. And Tiramsu is a great desert with an expresso flavor. And now they are making hair and skin products with caffeine.

Well, one of my comorbidities is addiction, so yeah – lots of coffee. Although, it doesn’t have much of an effect on me. Holding the warm cup feels pretty good. The process of making it is also nice. But the caffeine? It is not something I notice at all.

I drink it regularly. I usually only do two cups in a single day but will sometimes do three if I really need the energy to stay awake.

Nectar of the gods! Seriously though.. can’t count how many times I’ve been told to remove caffeine from my diet for extended periods citing that it’s causing problems.

Yet every time, even after two or more months without; it doesn’t seem to cause me any negative impact but rather the lack of does.

I don’t get withdrawals from, no headaches, no being wired all night long.. and I drink a -lot- of coffee.. it could be causing me digestive issues but that is still apparent even without caffeine.

Honestly, I can’t say that it does or doesn’t have a major detriment towards my well-being as far as health goes.. but I know without it I can’t think as clearly and that thoughts are far more jumbled and difficult to coherently entertain and interpret.

I am a smoker, I do use cannabis and was mildly addicted to painkillers in teenage years to alleviate nerve issues before realizing the health impacts, was addicted to cocaine near the end of teenage life before realizing how it changed who I was.. I don’t know if that’s considered an addictive personality or addictive in nature.. but coffee, cigarettes and cannabis are my vices, coffee being the largest, easily drinking a pot or more a day. Cigarettes and cannabis I -can- do without.. but I love my coffee to death.

And as others mentioned, the warmth of a cup is comforting as well but I have to say.. the smell..
the smell of coffee grinds in a can, of it freshly being brewed.. tiramisu, you name it.. that smell is absolutely heavenly

When I was younger, and even into my late thirties, just a little bit of coffee would make me so jittery that I would stay up all night and into the next day.

I used to love chicory coffee for that warm, sensory flavor. All it took to wake me up was the refreshing coolness of peppermint tea. It truly awakened my senses in the morning.

There was a coffee pot in the chemo ward. It seemed everyone was drinking coffee. It grossed me out.

But after chemo, I understood why. I simply don't have the energy anymore. And coffee or tea are what I need to start my day.

But since I've never been a big caffeine user, when I'm feeling truly achy and groggy, I only need one, or at max, two cups of coffee or tea to start my day, so I can be at the baseline that I used to be at, without caffeine.

And I don't drink it every day. I think only a couple times a week, on those hardest days.

I do, however, love the taste and smell of coffee, and I enjoy a fancy oatmilk latte from time to time.

My favorite place to get coffee, for the fun of it, is at Muji. They have a robotic barrista. It's wonderful good fun to watch the robotic arm reach around the kitchen and make the espresso, steam the milk, etc. The robot makes small talk, and even draws a little picture in the foam. But "Jarvis" is not infalliable. You see, if "he" runs out of an ingredient, "he" will ask the customer to go get an associate to bring "him" some more milk, etc. The drinks are always really tasty, and since it's robot-made, they consistently taste the same. The only thing those warm cups of happiness are lacking, is the love factor of any good food or drink.

But for that human-touch, that puts love in the mix, I like going down to The Hilton. There's an actual chef that works barrista. He makes beautiful, artistic cups of coffee. He draws forest ferns in the foam. He also makes the most fattening croissants in town. One bite into the buttery texture, and it melts into air. The croissants are out of this world good! And it's not really expensive at all! That's the crazy part.

OMG and I discovered a bagel shop up near me. OMG, now that is an art form! The bagels are light and taste like sourdough, and the cream cheese! Wow! Okay... getting off topic...

And Mcdonalds, of all places, brews really good hot tea. I never knew they had tea until a few months ago. I saw it on the self-serve menu. Oh my, it was lemony, and sweet. But although it was stronger than I like it, there weren't a lot of tannins in it.

When I brew my coffee, I use a french press. I boil the water in an electric teakettle. Meanwhile, I scoop 1/4 cup of coarsely ground blonde roast coffee into the caraffe. I then pour in 4 cups of boiling water. I let it steep for about twenty minutes before pushing down the plunger to separate out the beans.

I like my cuppa to be about 60 percent coffee, and 40 percent goat milk or oat milk. I usually eat very natural, but I love the flavor of Sweet N Low in my coffee. I think I got that from my grandmother. So every morning, I take my saccharine supplement, lol. One packet is enough, since the amount of milk really mellows it out.

But when I'm out and about, my favorite coffee drink is a warm, but not too hot, oatmilk latte. I don't add any sugar to it. It's a beautiful drink on it's own. The milk is the real celebrity in that one, and it takes away all of the bitterness of the coffee.

About a year ago, I found a french press made of stainless steel, with wood accents. It's the longest-lived french press I have ever owned. Every other one only survives a few months, because the beaker glass they use is so paper thin. I highly suggest that anyone who likes a slow-brewed french pressed cuppa should be on the lookout for a stainless steel caraffe.

Last edited:
@Yeshuasdaughter: Omg, the robotic barista sounds exceptional, i would certainly go there for the experience and the ability to have near exacting drinks made. Going to have to look into that around here or neighbouring.

Will have to try the peppermint tea in the morning, usually only use for stomache upset or relaxation in evening. The oat milk latte is very good, I love a bit of vanilla with it but still prefer black coffee, I’m fairly plain lol.

Yes, I love coffee! And Tea. And not just me. My dogs have drunk my coffee when I wasn't looking. In another thread I mentioned I have seen ants drink it when I spilled some outside or they crawled in my cup left out. Like anything else it is best with some moderation. Caffeine crazed ants can be quite unrulely.

;)

I love my Keurig. I use it every morning. I love my black coffee in the morning and I cannot function in the day until I have my first cup.

I have a generic K-Cup coffee maker that I got at Walmart for $20 and it’s really good. It even came with an optional filter cup for fresh coffee grounds if I don’t want to use the pods. I’ve had it for over a year now and I love it and have stockpiled so many varieties of flavored coffees that I can choose which ever coffee flavor I feel like having that day.

I hate the taste of coffee, even in drinks that are basically “Want a little coffee with your cream and flavored sugar syrup?” sort of things. I would say caffeine probably affects me about the same way it would most NTs. I neither consume significant amounts of caffeine on a regular basis nor avoid it Occasionally I’ll have some iced tea or treat myself to a Mountain Dew. I can’t sleep if I have it too late, but it only makes me more alert, not wired or jittery unless it’s an excessive amount.

Coffee has the opposite effect on me than most people and makes me fall asleep. I used to use coffee and cans of monster to help me sleep when I was struggling with insomnia. I think it's known as a paradoxical effect and can be quite common in people who have ADHD which I also have.

New Threads

Top Bottom