• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are we hiding what we want the world to know?

Well here's idea for you. Anyone who really feels that way - that they really don't care that much - how do you feel about participating in a future video? It's something I was thinking of doing next year but strike whilst the iron's hot as they say.
If anyone wants to do a "virtual interview" for me - recorded on a webcam, a phone or a Canon DSLR (Judge ;) ) then let me know. It can even just be audio if you prefer.
I can provide questions or you can just freeform it - say what you think is relevant. The more that are willing, the merrier. They can be compiled into a single video, a series of videos, or clips may be really useful for later subjects.
Anyone who wishes to participate will be sent a private link to anything I produce before it is published so they have the right of veto if they have any reservations or second thoughts.

That's so sad and I truly am sorry. I have such a hard time understanding why you would suddenly be a different person to someone who has known you so many years. I told a cousin and she laughed and said she just always thought I was weird growing up, so now she realizes I wasn't necessarily weird. It actually made us a little closer.

Even worse, my cousin has been exposed to the medical services and health insurance industry for more than twenty years. Yet she approaches the entire issue of autism in an incredibly primitive and dismissive manner. Like I said, "heartbreaking".

Part of me would love to do this and part of me hates videos and photos and recordings of self. :) I think it's a great idea and I'll have to try to muster up the courage. :)

Audio only is almost as good, especially if you have a nice photo that you're happy with, but still useful even without. It's the words that count more than anything :)

Reading over answers to who should I tell about my diagnosis, I have to ask why the majority is so limiting on who to tell. We are all in agreeance that we wish the rest of the population were more informed about autism and I kind of think that the best way for that to happen is by allowing others to see that we are not some crazy nutcase running around in their midst. But it would help them understand why we turn down invitations to a loud, chaotic event without hurting their feelings. It would help them understand the spectrum and learn that not all HF autists fir into the same pattern.
I totally understand younger students, because labels themselves can give reason for bullying.
Actually, I probably would have told more people if I hadn't read all the 'don't do that' responses and here's how I see it:
Yes, I wasn't diagnosed until I was 59 and already out of the public eye. But those that 'bullied' me bullied me because of my personality and actions - they just didn't like me. I also don't like everyone I meet - but I don't bully them because I don't have that in me. Those that do bully others are going to no matter what. Sometimes I wonder if it would have helped if those people that didn't like me knew why I was like I was. Anyhow, I just think, as an adult, people are going to treat you the way they treat you because of who they are. Most people who have been mean to me are mean to everyone and they are the ones with a problem.
Yes, when it comes to looking for employment I can also understand because the interviewer may think of it as a disability and may not understand it enough. Wouldn't you like to help change that? So future generations can say, "Yes I have autism" and the boss see it as an advantage instead of a hinderance?
Situations may dictate differently. I would not tell my kid's mother in laws because it's up to my child whether or not they want other's to know. Just like when my son came to me and said his best friend's mom wanted to know if I would be okay if she made a play for my ex. She had met him at a cheerleading competition in Vegas and, yes, he's very charming, handsome and smells really nice. :) I told him it was up to him whether or not he wanted to divulge the fact that his dad was gay (my son knew he was gay and he had figured it out himself).. He was the one it would affect. Therefore, if my child is the one impacted, I believe the decision should be theirs.
People at church. I would rather they know so they would understand that I am not being rude or cold or impolite or unsociable, but rather I have limits due to my autism. I want them to know that I do feel an attachment to them all, I just don't show it the same way NT's do.
If I want the rest of the world to understand what HF autism is, then I feel like I would be the best tool for them to learn this.
I know you are all going to think I'm crazy for this one. I told my ex#2 & 3. #2 because we still have a bond. He's gay and an ex con-artist, but we went through some pretty harrowing times together and we will always have that closeness. I told him because he knows me and I had questions I thought he possibly could answer (though he couldn't because he 'never had any complaints' with me). But my latest ex, I told for completely different reasons. My family knows what a jerk he was, they seen it. But his family doesn't. So I kind of told him that so he can use it as reason with his family why things did not work out with us. It doesn't hurt me, I never see them. He's a narcissist, but if they see him as a wonderful dad, why should I try to change that? I also told him so he would understand why I am not coming back (he kept thinking I might). I explained that when he would do things like come in from work and change music I was listening to and enjoying to music he knew I hated, that it was actually torturing me and I mean that literally. The reason I could not deal with a lot of the things he did was because of my autism and why I am happy with my current arrangement. I needed him to stop hoping or counting on me coming back, even after 4 years of being separated. Then he finally accepted it and went through with a divorce. I don't care if he knows. He knows who I am already and it doesn't change any of that.
I guess that's why I question why keep the diagnosis a secret. People already know who I am and if I tell them about the autism they are going to figure out that it's not a terrible thing.
Input.
As @Judge said above, it is a crapshoot(although, in my experience, anyone who can harm you, eventually will harm you).
But it is not general harm that concerns me so much as coercion.

Human history is littered with stories of coercion, blackmail, extortion.
They seem to be as much a part of our history(although downplayed greatly--- the victor writes the history), as anything wholesome we have accomplished.

I have very little faith in those that have inside knowledge of another or group of others--- that knowledge is power.

The political landscape in the U.S., if nowhere else---and the partisanship inherent in it--- is ample testament.

There are a great many---possibly the majority--- who believe that unless you use a power, or a weapon, it is not truly a power or a weapon.

I have been used, abused, coerced, extorted, lied about--- in one instance a very large group of people was assembled to accuse me of something that I did not do, by the person who actually committed the deed---he skated, while, unfortunately, I took the fall for his actions.

At this point, I set aside the issue of whether I invite such treatment, however; such an assertion feels akin to the "she was asking to be (assaulted)" argument.

It is my experience, that if someone can
control you, eventually they will.

It is for this reason that I am often reluctant to offer advice to those wanting to understand why their "NT/ND" relationship went "bad", and asking for information as to how they can "better understand" their ND (ex?)partner.
"All's fair in love and war", after all.

If our sensitivities, habits, and traits are widely known, those unscrupulous among the general population will seize upon them just as they seize upon any advantage--- with ruthless pragmatism.

My fears are already justified--- it simply may be that they do not materialize with any greater frequency than they do on average.

It may also be, as it so often is, that the object of my fears will materialize briefly in the growing pains of the search for equality, to recede with the eventual acceptance, understanding, and empowerment of we on the spectrum.

However (bear with me here), in the extreme, given that so many problems beset the very survival of humankind in our present situation, I can very well imagine(in the tradition of the very best science fiction)
Autistic individuals being rounded up, special details formed to identify them(think Blade Runner), and those individuals being placed in "science camps" where they are imprisoned to work out the logistics of the survival of human-kind.
While this perhaps seems to be in the realm of fantasy, the Jews conscripted to the nazi war effort may beg to differ.

While the actuality of the unfolding of events in our struggle for equality is entirely unknown, if human history is to be learned from, the way forward is slow and careful.

I am not unsupportive of those brave, heroic, idealistic individuals that believe that education is the key to our eventual acceptance, appreciation, and realistic valuation by society at large. I share their ideals--- if not their confidence.
I remain optimistic, and hopeful that their judgement is not misplaced.

It would seem that while we "are not obligated to complete this task, we are also not at liberty to put it aside", if we are to progress toward a brighter future.

For the time being, I am content to observe, and offer up insight only if I believe that I can trust the kind intent of the one(s) requesting knowledge of how I act, how I feel, how I am affected, in certain
situations--- and I will be especially careful when that knowledge pertains to another or group of others.

sidd

Last edited:
People never care in the why we want them to (aside from family, and even then ,usually it's only certain family members).

I don't tell anyone anything.

I have been used, abused, coerced, extorted, lied about--- in one instance a very large group of people was assembled to accuse me of something that I did not do, by the person who actually committed the deed---he skated, while, unfortunately, I took the fall for his actions.
You said a lot and very interesting thoughts on the subject.
This paragraph I have to ask if these things were done after your diagnosis, before, because of or just because there are some mean people in the world?
I have to ask that. Everyone here has been abused and used and treated badly and I think that makes us cautious with anything dealing with others. Loss of trust in people in general because of past experiences. All those bad things that happened, did it happen because of our label or because we're an easy target because we're an easy target with or without the label. We're still gullible and trusting until we learn the hard way not to be.
I'm not an exception. I've been lied to, lied about, a scapegoat, used, abused, and all that can possibly be done to a person without actually killing them - which, at times, would have been more desirable. I still choose to believe that most people are good. I've lost everything down to the clothes on my back 4 times because of bad people. I lost my son for half his childhood because of some really bad people. I've lived through some crap but none of it is because I'm autistic. It may be because I was an easy target, gullible and susceptible but I was that regardless of whether anyone knew I was autistic or not. I didn't know - how would they know. I was picked out for these things because I fit the mold they needed. I spent a month talking daily to an FBI agent to build a case against my husband - had no choice. He told me I was the biggest victim of all. The reason I was a victim is because of who I am, not because someone knew I was autistic.
Am I making any sense?

You said a lot and very interesting thoughts on the subject.
This paragraph I have to ask if these things were done after your diagnosis, before, because of or just because there are some mean people in the world?
I have to ask that. Everyone here has been abused and used and treated badly and I think that makes us cautious with anything dealing with others. Loss of trust in people in general because of past experiences. All those bad things that happened, did it happen because of our label or because we're an easy target because we're an easy target with or without the label. We're still gullible and trusting until we learn the hard way not to be.
I'm not an exception. I've been lied to, lied about, a scapegoat, used, abused, and all that can possibly be done to a person without actually killing them - which, at times, would have been more desirable. I still choose to believe that most people are good. I've lost everything down to the clothes on my back 4 times because of bad people. I lost my son for half his childhood because of some really bad people. I've lived through some crap but none of it is because I'm autistic. It may be because I was an easy target, gullible and susceptible but I was that regardless of whether anyone knew I was autistic or not. I didn't know - how would they know. I was picked out for these things because I fit the mold they needed. I spent a month talking daily to an FBI agent to build a case against my husband - had no choice. He told me I was the biggest victim of all. The reason I was a victim is because of who I am, not because someone knew I was autistic.
Am I making any sense?
Yes, you are making sense.
I am very sorry, that you have had these experiences. They are, some of them, uncannily similar to my own.
I am, however, certain that my ASD is/was,
a factor in my experiences. I am still unravelling this mystery, and putting everything that I now know into it's proper place and context.
My own experiences and perceptions aside, I have been a "people watcher" all of my life.
So many people do detestable things, when they believe that no one is watching or aware.
I have, through persistence and observation(keen hearing and vision help), been privy to many things done in pique, anger, and ill-will, that were later denied.
Some of which verge on the horrific.
Every advantage, moral or ethical, or not,
can be seized upon, and often it is by the person that you would not expect/suspect.
Apparently "the end justifies the means" is a far more commonly held belief than we would like to admit, collectively.

Most of this treatment happened before I knew that I was on the spectrum.
I've only known for 6 mos, or so.
I would be naive, however, to believe that the vulnerabilities exploited, and the weaknesses taken advantage of, were entirely unrelated to tendencies created by my ASD.
It is my fear, that the same type of unscrupulous person would be far better attuned to how to exploit me, if they had actual knowledge of my "condition".
They stopped at nothing, to obtain their desired result. "No-holds barred", and downright nastily opportunistic-- but somehow, knowing that I have ASD would change their mind? No, no, no.
They don't work that way.
I will instead use this knowledge to better protect myself in the future, rather than giving them yet another weapon with which to assault or take advantage of me.

The assaults never stop.
My aiding and abetting them will.

Okay. I can understand what you're saying. Yes, for both of us our ASD played a part in our being used and hurt. These things happened before we or anyone knew we were ASD. Probably, had we been NT we would have fought off these attackers before the attack, but we're not and never will be. I do understand these same people, or these same types of people using us for their own purposes if they have knowledge of our ASD and, therefore, weaknesses.
You know, I was just a boring, single, struggling mom with no friends and no family near me. I was naïve, trusting everyone, believing everyone, unable to stand up for myself or speak up for myself. Looking at it that way - wow - what an easy target. Easy prey for the super intelligent con artist I fell in love with.
Now, again, I find myself, currently living a boring life as a mother and grandmother and, once again, want to believe people and trust people. Perhaps with my own knowledge of my autism I could protect myself a little better? (Oh, and don't get me wrong - I love my boring life - had more excitement than I ever wanted. :) )

I agree with the idea in theory, but find it difficult in practice.

In spite of our advanced technology, humans are still a quite primitive species in many respects. A negative response to anyone identified as different is still all too common. It goes for many things and not just autism.

I agree with the idea in theory, but find it difficult in practice.

In spite of our advanced technology, humans are still a quite primitive species in many respects. A negative response to anyone identified as different is still all too common. It goes for many things and not just autism.

Those predatory instincts of our own species. :eek:

I hope there are things we can do to make a difference, although my personal experience of letting people know is that they don't have any real idea what I m telling them and thereafter assume I am mentally ill or 'deranged', and sideline or ignore me.

Really what we are saying is closely akin to saying we are dyslexic or dyspraxic, and that doesn't cause a moral panic, but somehow autism does, presumably because it's a broad spectrum, and also because neurotypical people who are a majority operate differently from us, and do not think in the straightforward and direct way we do.

@Pats you are right in saying that more positive awareness of autism would help and possible make life easier for us, but as @Autistamatic points out, it is a catch 22 situation - most of us who have made our diagnosis public have had mixed reactions, and it really is a crapshoot, as @Judge says.

Personally, I'd like to be able to tell people about it - I want to talk about it, I want to explain, but I know that I will be judged, that causes immense anxiety and I just can't bring myself to do it. I fear that it will change my relationship with people and that people will treat me differently, or otherwise that they won't take me seriously or try to tell me that I don't have Asperger's, and I don't know how I would deal with that, and don't like the idea that I would have to defend or justify myself - it's hard enough to tell them without that.

Also, I work as a freelance language teacher, and there is a danger that my students will find out and leave me, that they would somehow start to look for and find faults in my work, or not trust me, or find me incompetent. I depend on the students for income and I can't risk that.

Last edited:
I want to be open about my autism and mental health. I’m open about my autism and depression to all of my friends and most of family members. I’ve told one coworker about my autism and a few more about my depression. My boss knows about my depression too, but I haven’t told him about my autism because I’ve heard a bit too many insensitive remarks about autism in the office to hope that’ll go down well.

I’ve most recently gone through a small psychotic break and although the psychosis is in remission I am still very much in recovery and struggling with paranoia, anxiety and exhaustion, the latter only being exacerbated by my antipsychotic medication. I’ve also gained a shiny additional diagnosis of Bipolar II disorder.
I’ve only told a select few friends because I’m still processing what this new diagnosis means for me. I haven’t told my parents yet because I’m afraid they’ll freak out or try to convince me it’s not true. My boyfriend told a bunch of people, which I’m not happy about, but I forgive him because it’s his burden too, even if I did wish he’d let me be in charge of how and when people are informed.

I wish I could be honest with my coworkers about this, but I’m terrified of how they’ll respond if I tell them I’ve been a tad bit psychotic recently. It sucks because my closest two colleagues are really kind and caring and they try to look out for me. I’m just afraid that will change if I let them know I am struggling with reality.
I did tell my boss I’m experiencing a setback mental-health wise and that I am newly diagnosed as bipolar and need some time to sort out my medication and regain balance. He was very understanding but I wanted to kick myself afterwards, because It’s Out There Now. I hope this won’t come back to bite me in the gluteal muscle.

The Sci-fi scenario that @sidd851 postulated above has actually been recently explored in the prematurely cancelled ABC series "The Crossing".
Set in the present day, it concerns the arrival of a number of refugees from 150 yrs in our future. The world they have escaped from is ruled by a genetically engineered elite who were created as perfect soldiers. Stronger, faster healing, immune to disease and poisons and all mental "weaknesses" eradicated.
They have created a disease which is slowly eradicating the remaining, unmodified population. We hear quite early in the series of how numbers of children are forcibly taken by the elites and never seen again. It later becomes clear that these children are all autistic. They are taken because the ideas of mental perfection engineered into the elites were flawed. They lack innovation or the ability to think "outside the box". They are hindered by their "perfect" but surprisingly uniform thinking processes. The children are abducted and kept isolated to provide the innovation and ability to imagine and evaluate alternatives they have had bred out of them.
It was an intriguing series by the time it found it's feet but it was cancelled due to that slow start before we got a chance to explore it's world properly.
As regards the tribal nature of our species, it is an evolved survival trait to seek "strength in numbers" but as our society has grown and homogenised it has now become a weakness. It is a trait which no longer enhances our survival but threatens it. It was useful in an age of stone tools and deadly predators. It helped us solidify into communities and develop farming and technologies. By the time we got to nation states and powered flight it became a threat to our continued existence.
We cannot afford the luxury of tribes now we possess the tools to eradicate other tribes, especially when many of us are willing to back leaders with the emotional maturity of a pubescent child.
We are at a precarious point in our history, more evolved than animals, less evolved than the superior beings we believe ourselves to be. If we and our planet survive the next thousand years there is hope for us. Many doubt that survival is likely.

I rarely hide most of what I want people to understand from them. I try to get my parents to understand me, but I rarely try to do so verbally, since it's hard to put it into words for me and to get those words to escape my mouth.

I have a group chat between me and my parents (which I created), and I can message them whatever I want them to hear both at the same time, send links to stuff that I found/created (Such as my XMas list), and other stuff. Such as if I'm stuck with my sister whenever she's home from college and I want to quickly ask my parents about something, so that I don't have to ask my sister to ask them for me.

About that loud event thing, my parents asked me if I wanted to go to a Trans Siberian Orchestra (a hard rock type of orchestra/symphonic metal band) XMas concert. I said, "No, I don't want to. Too loud, too many flashing lights, too many people." They weren't even surprised by that. Most of my family and close friends, as well as my girlfriend already know that I'm on the spectrum.

I'm spending the night at a friend's house while my parents are at the concert.

New Threads

Top Bottom