• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any sites you regret going to?

Spotty01

Kind of a spiritual successor to this thread that I made.

There are thousands, possibly even millions of websites out there in the Worldwide Web. Some are for games, some are exclusively for an individual product, store, program, etc., and some are simply there to lead people straight into malware. But probably the most common type of website on the Internet these days is social media, which is exactly what it says on the tin pretty much. There are sites were you just go to communicate with other users with similar interests or mentalities (various forums across the Internet, including AC), there are sites where you just go to connect with friends through long distance (Facebook and the now derelict MySpace), and there are sites where people just go to share their own creations and media with strangers on the other side of your screen (DeviantART, Wattpad, Tumblr, Pinterest, I could go on all day).

However, those "strangers on the other side of your screen" are still human beings, just like you and I are. And humans have a disturbing tendency to hate other people at first sight or outright tell them "to go kill themselves" and the like, just... because. Those are the trolls and flamers that the Internet is so infamous for; I don't think I have to explain what that is to you guys, or anyone who has enough experience with the Internet for that matter.

Sometimes, websites are so filled to the brim with people like that (looking at you, Facebook and YouTube) that you wish you'd never gone on there in the first place, as if the atmosphere of said website itself is toxic.

So, what I'm asking you guys and gals is simple. Are there any websites out there, social media or otherwise, that you wish you'd never gone onto in the first place? Hell, it doesn't even have to be because a bunch of trolls ran you out of there, it could be because you decided it was a total waste of your time (you went there for something, but never got that "something" in the end) or for whatever other reason you folks can come up with.

For me, it'd more than likely be DeviantART because (1) like I've noted prior, that place is absolutely rife with haters/trolls/flamers/whatever other names you can come up with for them, and (2) that place is sort of... addictive. Even though I'm not near as active there as I used to be, I still go there at least once a day to look around at art for my fave media and favourite it (that adds it to a personal gallery so you can find your favourite pictures again a lot faster).

So, yeah. Topic. That is all.

Tumblr - joined it at the request of an online friend, but left after been unable to keep up with the feed from those I followed and Tumblr constantly forgetting my password.

Wrong Planet - Some of the discussions had pretty hostile opinions flying around from what I saw. Add to the fact that I can't delete my account, or at least couldn't the last time I checked.

Tumblr - joined it at the request of an online friend, but left after been unable to keep up with the feed from those I followed and Tumblr constantly forgetting my password.
I have an account on Tumblr but only so I can follow the feeds that I've become attached to (I used to go on there at least once a day just to look at the art).

Wrong Planet - Some of the discussions had pretty hostile opinions flying around from what I saw. Add to the fact that I can't delete my account, or at least couldn't the last time I checked.
I have a WrongPlanet account too, but so far, I haven't used it; I just kinda lurk there and occasionally skim through the forums. I thought it was pretty much the same thing as AC, just... more susceptible to haters, apparently.

I regret being a member of any social media site and any other ASD-related, mental health, or social anxiety site.
This is seriously the only site I feel comfortable on in any way.

Xboxachievements.com. their forum is run by a bunch of morons IMO, I got banned for admitting I have a life beyond my Xbox gamer score, seriously?! Also, Wrestlezone.com's forum, their "spamming" rules are some of the stupidest things ever, every time I posted I got an "infraction" for "spamming", got to a point where the admin told me to F off and changed my username to "Piss Bucket" and restricted my posting ability.

As for other social media sites - I regret all of them (Facebook, tribe.net....I forget the others, but I've been on and off a few forums), but on those it was due to being overwhelmed, not being able to navigate all the NT social dynamics. There would always a few NTs who would start bullying me - I feel that NTs who decide to bully can be very manipulative, and that is hard for me to know how to deal with sometimes. Here, yes, people may get upset, I may get upset, but I don't feel like anyone is playing some kind of sophisticated (or primitive, depending on your view) social game of manipulation and bullying. I feel I can more reliably understand people here at face value, even if we disagree or bother each other sometimes....I guess I feel we are all on a level playing field here. And there is a specific ranting room for when people need to rant, rather than spewing it out sideways in every other thread, trying to find ways to bring things up in order to vent, etc.

Last edited:
99,9% of the web. In time I see people everywhere to stick to idiotic beliefs, belittling other people who don't fit the mold etc. That include lgbt places.

I made it a point to never regret anything and I stick to that. Just why do I have to find "idiots" (almost) everywhere?

99,9% of the web. In time I see people everywhere to stick to idiotic beliefs, belittling other people who don't fit the mold etc. That include lgbt places.

I made it a point to never regret anything and I stick to that. Just why do I have to find "idiots" (almost) everywhere?
Because there are idiots everywhere?

But why they are everywhere? I don't understand why discriminated minorities further discriminate others within their own ranks. Why do they feel better if they trash other people etc. It just makes no sense!

It's purely mathematic: the smarter you are, the greater the number of idiots that will be around you, by contrast.

As for me, and this will call for further clarification immediately after, the one place I regret clicking on is the politics & religion section here.
Allow me to explain: it's not even the contents or views expressed that traumatized me so much as the intensity. I wasn't ready for this, and I never realized the extent to which I was not ready. Now I see why it's an opt-in section, and I'll see myself out of that part, until I've resolved enough of my anxiety issues to be able to opt in again.
Lol, in hindsight, I should have known better: I haven't been able to watch the news in several years without feeling traumatized and getting nightmares, which would have been a pretty obvious sign of what I can or cannot handle at the moment if I had minded it.

for me its not a website its if i encounter someone who has an air superiority or has that attitude and they rely on base sarcasm which has happened on ASPIES central IM just too stressed to have a discussion with arrogance
Kind of a spiritual successor to this thread that I made.

There are thousands, possibly even millions of websites out there in the Worldwide Web. Some are for games, some are exclusively for an individual product, store, program, etc., and some are simply there to lead people straight into malware. But probably the most common type of website on the Internet these days is social media, which is exactly what it says on the tin pretty much. There are sites were you just go to communicate with other users with similar interests or mentalities (various forums across the Internet, including AC), there are sites where you just go to connect with friends through long distance (Facebook and the now derelict MySpace), and there are sites where people just go to share their own creations and media with strangers on the other side of your screen (DeviantART, Wattpad, Tumblr, Pinterest, I could go on all day).

However, those "strangers on the other side of your screen" are still human beings, just like you and I are. And humans have a disturbing tendency to hate other people at first sight or outright tell them "to go kill themselves" and the like, just... because. Those are the trolls and flamers that the Internet is so infamous for; I don't think I have to explain what that is to you guys, or anyone who has enough experience with the Internet for that matter.

Sometimes, websites are so filled to the brim with people like that (looking at you, Facebook and YouTube) that you wish you'd never gone on there in the first place, as if the atmosphere of said website itself is toxic.

So, what I'm asking you guys and gals is simple. Are there any websites out there, social media or otherwise, that you wish you'd never gone onto in the first place? Hell, it doesn't even have to be because a bunch of trolls ran you out of there, it could be because you decided it was a total waste of your time (you went there for something, but never got that "something" in the end) or for whatever other reason you folks can come up with.

For me, it'd more than likely be DeviantART because (1) like I've noted prior, that place is absolutely rife with haters/trolls/flamers/whatever other names you can come up with for them, and (2) that place is sort of... addictive. Even though I'm not near as active there as I used to be, I still go there at least once a day to look around at art for my fave media and favourite it (that adds it to a personal gallery so you can find your favourite pictures again a lot faster).

So, yeah. Topic. That is all.

As for me, and this will call for further clarification immediately after, the one place I regret clicking on is the politics & religion section here.
Allow me to explain: it's not even the contents or views expressed that traumatized me so much as the intensity. I wasn't ready for this, and I never realized the extent to which I was not ready. Now I see why it's an opt-in section, and I'll see myself out of that part, until I've resolved enough of my anxiety issues to be able to opt in again.
Lol, in hindsight, I should have known better: I haven't been able to watch the news in several years without feeling traumatized and getting nightmares, which would have been a pretty obvious sign of what I can or cannot handle at the moment if I had minded it.
That's interesting - I had considered opting in to that area, but I couldn't figure out how. Now I may just stay away from it.

Wrong Planet, for the most part. It was filling up with negative tensions, and I got tired of that. The only thing I like about it was the fact that I met my husband there.

I lurk there every now and then, and from what I am reading, it is full of spammers and trolls.

I joined Facebook a few years ago but then deleted my account as I ended up getting depressed everyone had more of a life than me ( or at least that is what they said).

Wrong Planet. Very cliquey on there.

I feel that way too! I have to be very choosy about what I'll expose myself to when reading/ watching TV/ online. Luckily, my NT husband is a newshound and will give me an edited-for-me version of what's going on in the world. My news is not "fair and balanced", but at least the senseless stuff is not shoved in my face and I can sleep better.

The politics and religious opt-in area was formed here to isolate those topics from the mission statement of an autistic support forum Aspies Central was intended to be.

Originally,those types of conversations were not allowed unless they had a direct impact on the autistic community.

Many members became upset because they didn't have an area to air their views on those topics. Other members who don't want to see or participate in those kinds of discussions are not exposed to them unless they want to be.

A compromise was made by Brent to allow the discussions to be had there that were outside of the original intent of AC with a stern reminder that all of the rules of conduct of AC would apply as they do in any part of the forum.

The politics and religious opt-in area was formed here to isolate those topics from the mission statement of an autistic support forum Aspies Central was intended to be.

Originally,those types of conversations were not allowed unless they had a direct impact on the autistic community.

Many members became upset because they didn't have an area to air their views on those topics. Other members who don't want to see or participate in those kinds of discussions are not exposed to them unless they want to be.

A compromise was made by Brent to allow the discussions to be had there that were outside of the original intent of AC with a stern reminder that all of the rules of conduct of AC would apply as they do in any part of the forum.
That was exactly my understanding, Nitro. And I think Brent came up with the perfect solution for that.

What I had not considered was my own sensitivity, hence my opting back out. I just really thought I was ready, but I'm not complaining about the fact the section exists.

New Threads

Top Bottom