• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Schizophrenia and Autism Linked?

AutisticallyInclined

I always figured my Dad had Aspergers because well, he's clearly got SOMETHING. But the more I learn about this the less I'm thinking this is right. I mean I just assumed his obsession was legit just a little bit different- which is the news. He's definitely paranoid so I figured he had Paranoid personality disorder on top of it. But now I'm just starting to wonder if he has some odd form of- schizophrenia? But not full blown. I mean- its weird. Neither of us are as extreme as schizotypal personality disorder but . . .
we both had trouble learning how to be social when we were younger- he never fully learned but I got much farther. Most people think I'm normal, but I know deep down, I'm not. I'm like my dad. But the question is, what does that mean?

Could we just have weak so called diathesis?

I's just a puzzlement.

If not autism then- what?

Also, in my psych class we learned that autism used to be considered to be like schizophrenia because they could talk with very little context provided to the outsider, making them hard to follow. But this is different. What is it?

/rant

p.s. this doesn't change the fact i know people with Aspergers. its just when I was looking at all the obsessions and interests in the photo gallery I got a feeling like this was foreign- not right in its description of both me and my Dad.

PDD?

Last edited:
Not everyone is online all the time, AI.

There are many similarities between schizophrenia and ASD; enough that the DSM-IV (don't about about V) indicated that the first step in diagnosing ASD is to rule out schizophrenia. So, yes, they can be hard to tell apart. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia back in 1999, which was changed to ASD in 2012.

Oh no you misunderstood me (I think). The "I don't give an eff attitude" was about me having Schizophrenia not the lack of responses, in which case, if it had been, yes I would need to calm my chops. (something tells me I have that expression wrong?)

whatever. :)

And yea, for anyone who cares for an update- I'm feeling a lot better about finally accepting my diagnosis. Downside- I'm a tad more unapologetic, upside I'm less apologetic. Figures. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom