• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are all souls exactly alike?

Magna

V.I.P Member
Here's what I mean in asking the question:

Living human beings have a unique personality unto themselves. People have their own likes, dislikes, experiences, etc. The likes and dislikes among people are innumerably different.

Think of the differences in the preferences of food, choice of climate to live in if possible, activities, passions, interests, etc among people.

God has one place set aside for every soul; Heaven. It's presumably the exact same for every soul. Apparently there will be a hierarchy in Heaven, but Heaven will be the same for every soul in what the souls do for eternity.

I was taught that every soul that makes it to Heaven spends eternity standing side by side glorifying God unceasingly. No preference. No differences. All the same doing the same thing forever. I was also taught that even if that seems like a sentence or even a punishment in relation to how we think about our lives and freedom on earth, it won't be in Heaven because there's nothing that we'll want to do other than glorify/worship God unceasingly for all of eternity.

So does that mean that souls in Heaven are identical with no differences?

Magna, I am not a believer in God or Christian. But, what if, in heaven the soul has no ego? What if the soul is not concerned with likes and dislikes, nor heirarchies? Nor concerned with being right?

It is really these things that divide us as humans. With out our divisive views we may find heaven with one another and ourselves.

What do you think?

Magna, I am not a believer in God or Christian. But, what if, in heaven the soul has no ego? What if the soul is not concerned with likes and dislikes, nor heirarchies? Nor concerned with being right?

It is really these things that divide us as humans. With out our divisive views we may find heaven with one another and ourselves.

What do you think?

In that respect then I would think that all souls are exactly alike.

In all the years since my childhood onward I've tried to understand God/religion, pretended to understand, longed to understand, etc and the fact of the matter is I simply don't understand, period.

Living human beings have a unique personality unto themselves. People have their own likes, dislikes, experiences, etc. The likes and dislikes among people are innumerably different.

Think of the differences in the preferences of food, choice of climate to live in if possible, activities, passions, interests, etc among people.
Yes.
I was taught that every soul that makes it to Heaven spends eternity standing side by side glorifying God unceasingly. No preference. No differences. All the same doing the same thing forever. I was also taught that even if that seems like a sentence or even a punishment in relation to how we think about our lives and freedom on earth, it won't be in Heaven because there's nothing that we'll want to do other than glorify/worship God unceasingly for all of eternity.

No. Because what you've just said is a belief. It is your belief, and you're entitled to interpret it in any way you want, but it sounds to me like you're trying to understand something that isn't actually making you feel good. You're trying to believe something you don't have to believe.

I'm not saying there's another belief you should be believing instead, but you can let go of belief without replacing it with something else. In the present, in your life, you could say it doesn't matter what happens afterwards. Live your life now and you'll find out what happens when it's time.

In that respect then I would think that all souls are exactly alike.

In all the years since my childhood onward I've tried to understand God/religion, pretended to understand, longed to understand, etc and the fact of the matter is I simply don't understand, period.
I am not sure all souls are exactly a like, only that we cease to be bothered by differences.
You might like red and purple equally but they are obviously different colors. Red does not care that purple does not look like red, and red does not think of themselves better or worse than purple. See?

I see what people refer to "heaven" as being on a distinctly different plane of existence. Meaning it's best not to assume that who and what we are on this secondary plane of existence as mortals translates into who we actually are on our primary plane of existence as eternal souls.

IMO it stands to reason that an eternal soul would have a very different outlook of their existence on their primary plane of existence compared to a mortal whose life may amount to one struggle after another on a secondary plane of existence.

And that the process of reincarnation to transcend such planes of existence does involve some degree of counseling through a hierarchy that helps us to craft our mortal lives on a mission to enlighten our eternal soul. That life here is a struggle for most of us because it was intended to be as such. Involving conditions that simply do not exist pertinent to our primary plane of existence.

Beyond that there isn't much that can be added in terms of details, short of those few mortals having the ability to transcend both planes of existence, yet having only a cursory understanding or impression of how our primary plane of existence appears or functions. A process that doesn't likely involve any clergy or their dogma. That in essence if you want all those details, your existence on this secondary plane must end first.

Perhaps it would be helpful not to consider whether all souls are alike, but rather that most souls experience their own unique paths towards enlightenment. A process that inevitably affords them their own sense of individuality regardless of any similarities of being an immortal soul- whatever they may truly be.

Last edited:

God has one place set aside for every soul; Heaven. It's presumably the exact same for every soul. Apparently there will be a hierarchy in Heaven, but Heaven will be the same for every soul in what the souls do for eternity.

As described, it makes it sound as if God has got some serious mental health issues with making every soul, stripped of their identity, some sort of "drone" that wants nothing more than to worship him. I don't think that Heaven would be a nice place if that were true. Obviously, I am just an ignorant human trying to put my personal values on something that is beyond my comprehension.

As described, it makes it sound as if God has got some serious mental health issues with making every soul, stripped of their identity, some sort of "drone" that wants nothing more than to worship him. I don't think that Heaven would be a nice place if that were true. Obviously, I am just an ignorant human trying to put my personal values on something that is beyond my comprehension.

I think the idea is not so much that God wants us to be in constant worship (God being omnipotent doesn't need our adoration), but that God is so amazing beyond our wildest dreams that we would apparently want nothing other than to worship God eternally and by having the opportunity to do that we'd be afforded eternal bliss.

You're right though that with human minds it's very difficult if not impossible to step outside our human intellect to try to understand the omnipotent.

Part of what is hard for me to understand is what if a person is happy with their life as it is? What if their bliss, their Heaven is what they're experiencing now? What if their idea of Heaven would be to simply continue with life as it is now (even with life's imperfections and struggles)? It seems we're told: "But as much as you might love life now, you'd love Heaven even more." To which, what if the person were to respond: "But I don't want "even more". I love the way my life is now and I'd be blissful just continuing on as is.

I attended a talk years ago by a Catholic Priest, a Jesuit who told a story (maybe it wasn't actually anecdotal) about a old Irish woman. She went to her priest because she was concerned about something. She loved, she adored having her teatimes. She loved the routine and the ritual of making and having her cups of tea each day. In fact, she couldn't imagine what life would be like without tea. She mentioned that to her priest and asked if there would be tea in Heaven. The priest told her there would not be tea in Heaven. The old woman had serious pause as to whether she actually even wanted to go to Heaven at all then.

Her idea of Heaven was being able to continue to have her tea times for eternity.

Last edited:
@Magna, who says God doesn't reside in a teacup?

One of the reasons I am not relidious is being told, as a child, that one must go to church in order to understand God. That seems wrong to me.

If there is a God and God is omnipotent, wouldn't God feel the love and devotion an Irish woman has for that tea, and since God created that Tea and humans alike, wouldn't God understand?

I don't disbelieve in God exactly. I just don't know. But it seems like human hubris an arrogance to think we could dare to define and limit God based solely on what we can imagine.

@Magna, who says God doesn't reside in a teacup?

One of the reasons I am not relidious is being told, as a child, that one must go to church in order to understand God. That seems wrong to me.

If there is a God and God is omnipotent, wouldn't God feel the love and devotion an Irish woman has for that tea, and since God created that Tea and humans alike, wouldn't God understand?

I don't disbelieve in God exactly. I just don't know. But it seems like human hubris an arrogance to think we could dare to define and limit God based solely on what we can imagine.

I value your opinions. You also make a good point about the tea and God's creation. That's been a sticking point for me as well. If a person marvels at God's creation on earth and is happy, even blissful at being alive, appreciating the wonders of the world and the universe as they experience it and not wanting for more, in other words, their life as created, as they experience it and their awareness of "the world" is Heaven to them (all of which is often believed to be God's creation), then it's hard to understand the scenario where a God would require that every single soul end up doing the exact same thing for eternity. Think of the diversity in nature, the cosmos and in people. Think of how an autistic person's idea of enjoyment and happiness can be radically different than an NT's idea of the same things and vice versa.

Very confusing.

I think the idea is not so much that God wants us to be in constant worship (God being omnipotent doesn't need our adoration), but that God is so amazing beyond our wildest dreams that we would apparently want nothing other than to worship God eternally and by having the opportunity to do that we'd be afforded eternal bliss.

You're right though that with human minds it's very difficult if not impossible to step outside our human intellect to try to understand the omnipotent.

Part of what is hard for me to understand is what if a person is happy with their life as it is? What if their bliss, their Heaven is what they're experiencing now? What if their idea of Heaven would be to simply continue with life as it is now (even with life's imperfections and struggles)? It seems we're told: "But as much as you might love life now, you'd love Heaven even more." To which, what if the person were to respond: "But I don't want "even more". I love the way my life is now and I'd be blissful just continuing on as is.

I attended a talk years ago by a Catholic Priest, a Jesuit who told a story (maybe it wasn't actually anecdotal) about a old Irish woman. She went to her priest because she was concerned about something. She loved, she adored having her teatimes. She loved the routine and the ritual of making and having her cups of tea each day. In fact, she couldn't imagine what life would be like without tea. She mentioned that to her priest and asked if there would be tea in Heaven. The priest told her there would not be tea in Heaven. The old woman had serious pause as to whether she actually even wanted to go to Heaven at all then.

Her idea of Heaven was being able to continue to have her tea times for eternity.

That old woman certainly could do those things in Heaven. Same with coffee. Or Icees!! My preference.

That old woman certainly could do those things in Heaven. Same with coffee. Or Icees!! My preference.

That's not what a lot of people are taught. Preferences are for personal gain, pleasure, comfort, safety, survival, etc. It's commonly taught that none of those things are desired or aren't an issue in Heaven. There is one thing and one thing alone that is Heaven: Being in the presence of and perpetually glorifying God for eternity. Nothing else is desired. Could you have a tea in Heaven? Maybe. But the point apparently is that you wouldn't want to because it would pale in comparison to basking in God's glory and worshipping God eternally. That brings me back to my original post question. If it's all the same for every soul than in Heaven is every soul alike? No differentiation.

I value your opinions. You also make a good point about the tea and God's creation. That's been a sticking point for me as well. If a person marvels at God's creation on earth and is happy, even blissful at being alive, appreciating the wonders of the world and the universe as they experience it and not wanting for more, in other words, their life as created, as they experience it and their awareness of "the world" is Heaven to them (all of which is often believed to be God's creation), then it's hard to understand the scenario where a God would require that every single soul end up doing the exact same thing for eternity. Think of the diversity in nature, the cosmos and in people. Think of how an autistic person's idea of enjoyment and happiness can be radically different than an NT's idea of the same things and vice versa.

Very confusing.

I might can help. Jesus mentions this in the Bible.
John 14:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

You the individual. A place for you to be happy in Heaven.

Then there's this passage.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I believe this to mean hopes and dreams you have.

Maybe a better question is why ponder this at all? If you were taught that this was how it is going to be and that this is our purpose and it's God's will, what's the point in questioning the reasonings behind God's creation? I thought it was also taught that being mortal and human in all our limitations we can't fully grasp God's reasonings and we just have to accept until you reach Heaven.

Last edited:

A common Tradition in the Faith is that the Souls in Heaven take the place of the Angels that fell, and St. Thomas Aquinas and other Theologians say that each Angel has a radically different personality from one another. Also if you believe that the Saints canonized by the Church are in fact in Heaven, you can take a look at their lives and personalities and see how distinct they are. Finally the Catholic Church that there will be a New Heaven and a New Earth united and a bodily resurrection, so perhaps that will add to the distinction between souls enjoying the Beatific Vision.

That's not what a lot of people are taught. Preferences are for personal gain, pleasure, comfort, safety, survival, etc. It's commonly taught that none of those things are desired or aren't an issue in Heaven. There is one thing and one thing alone that is Heaven: Being in the presence of and perpetually glorifying God for eternity. Nothing else is desired. Could you have a tea in Heaven? Maybe. But the point apparently is that you wouldn't want to because it would pale in comparison to basking in God's glory and worshipping God eternally. That brings me back to my original post question. If it's all the same for every soul than in Heaven is every soul alike? No differentiation.

No. We are all individuals who worship God and love him. But, who says one cannot worship God and have fun too? God knows us inside and out.

1 Corinthians 2:9

“But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

Maybe a better question is why ponder this at all? If you were taught that this was how it is going to be and that this is our purpose and it's God's will, what's the point in questioning the reasonings behind God's creation? I thought it was also taught that being mortal and human in all our limitations we can't fully grasp God's reasonings and we just have to accept until you reach Heaven.

Why not ponder? And why not ask him?

As one of the souls in existence you are currently alive and very temporarily burdened and blinded by a physical body. Why do you think any human’s defintion of a hierarchy actually matters?
Humans always want measurements and goals and the ability to stand out as special. Any discussion of such things would apply to the society of humans, whether one pretends to be discussing heaven or not.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom