• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Apologies

jamse37

Sorry me again.

My little one apologises all the time for getting upset over things. ( empathy?) but when one of her beloved fish dies she just tells me 'take it out and put it in the bin' with not a flicker of emotion ( empathy)

How does that work or why?

Sorry for little questions I just need to have answers when we finally go for diagnoses and I know how reluctant the health profession are to help.

Thank you in advance

With whom could she empathize in the case of the fish? The fish is dead; it doesn't feel anything. You say the fish is hers, so there's no other "owner" with whom she could empathize.

Very sad penguin :(

Everyone knows me as The Penguin and this is very sad news that makes this penguin sad. I don't find it fair what she said to you. Your fish is family just like how mine is to me.

Like your daughter, i am very unemotional when it comes to death. Don't know why that is.
But, perhaps she feels that in the case of apologising to you, her display of emotion serves a purpose (of making you feel better, or of improving her relationship with you) but that a display of emotion over her dead fish does no one any good.
Also, she might be more emotional when she feels guilt, but calm when she has no guilt (assuming she didn't cause the fish to die).That's how I often am.

Ste11aeres

It's crazy to think of a just three year old understanding guilt but you could be right. Also the fact that because ov sensory issues she picks up and reads us on how we are feeling she knows when I am inside feeling upset at her upset. Hope that makes sense

Penguin

Don't be sad She got another fish that is the happiest fish alive

And the first response sorry I don't know how to go back to check your name.
Sorry that's way to deep for me to understand

Maybe she does feel something about the fish, but it's not visible to you. It's a different situation, possibly a different emotion, and so not necessarily as obvious as the apologizing.

My son is very matter of fact about death. In his 4 years, he's lost a special fish (tons of personality and demanded attention, even from guests) and a cat. He really didn't react to either. With the fish, he joined in the "what do you *do* with a fish this big??? It can't be flushed!" (it was 15 inches long), but didn't really talk about it having died until later. With the cat, he verified a couple times, "she not come back?" then let it go. (He didn't see the body in that case.) Now, months later, he'll mention one of them and say he misses them, especially the cat, but it's still pretty emotionless. I think, at his age, he really doesn't fully fathom death.

Also, not to be callous, fish don't usually live that long, so I don't tend to get very attached to them. Generally, for me, a fish is a fish. I like to have a betta, so when one dies, I go and pick a new one. I've only been truly upset over two fish. Both of the fish I was upset about had lived for years and had a lot of personality and interacted with people. One was my little runt of a betta. He was friendly and I was his person. He liked me better than anyone else. :p The other was the one my son knew. He was a big old pleco named Charlie. We'd had him for 5 years. He watched tv, threw fits when he didn't get his food on time, raced to the front of the tank when someone approached... He was more like a cat than a fish. :p In my son's life, though, we've lost a lot of fish. Some I had before he was born, some weren't healthy when I bought them and just didn't live long. I'm generally happy to have a fish live a year. I don't bond with them like I do a cat or dog because I know I won't have them long and I can't touch them. So I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about a lack of reaction to a fish's death, anyway.

I don't bond with them like I do a cat or dog because I know I won't have them long and I can't touch them.

I had an angel fish once that thought he was a dog. He would get all excited to see me home from work, and he would let me pet him. I was really sad we he died.

I think you may be confusing her apologizing for something wrong as empathy, when it could just be her starting to understand her meltdowns are getting her in trouble. Remorse is what you are expecting from her. I think the remorse is strongest when we humanize something. If she is very young, I don't think she would be able to humanize a fish. To her the fish dieing was no different than a toy stopped working. I wouldn't get worked up about it, she may be to young to understand the difference.

Some people, even children, just don't get emotional about death. My much adored cat died when I was 6 but I just accepted it and moved on, no grief at all. This is perfectly normal for some people and not a sign of a lack of empathy or a healthy range of emotion, it's possible your child is like this... or maybe she just didn't really understand the situation.

I remember, as a kid, dealing with grief alongside my brother. It was awful. I'm the emotional type. Death usually hits me really hard, though I don't tend to show it as much anymore. My brother, though, is pretty emotionless in how he deals with it. While I would be crying because I missed my cat and wanted to hold her again, he'd look at me and say "get over it. It's better that she died because now she's not sick." I thought he hated me because he was so mean. That wasn't his intention, though. Insisting, over and over, that it was better that way was what made him feel better and more able to handle the loss himself.

New Threads

Top Bottom