• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone using Linux?

Linux at home is really for the tinkerer. Linux in the workplace is for servers that need raw horsepower, reliability, and security. I can understand folks wanting the computer to just work.

I often feel it's the same why some people are so adamant to have Android on their mobile phones as well. From what I've understood that mobile OS seems a lot more customizable than iOS or even Windows mobile (which I'm using).

As strange as this might sound, Linux doesn't have a really high learning curve as most people would think. What it does require you to do is put on a logical thinking cap. The beauty of Linux (and UNIX-like systems in general) is the syslog facility which often gives quite verbose and clear information as to why a piece of software failed. The Windows equivalent of the syslog, the Event Log, is often inscrutable and requires a Google search or a visit to TechNet.

I do also like supporting a free/open source ecosystem because it returns control of the computer to you. Generally speaking, open source software runs better with fewer glitches because there is more time to do extensive debugging and testing, whereas this time costs software companies money so they try and rush it out the door. There are some UNIX-Like machines that have years of uptime as a result. While such long uptimes are fascinating from a research standpoint, I'm a firm believer in a good monthly reboot.

Linux is a magical world of user creativeness.
There are tons of programs written for it, usually available at no monetary cost + source code is usually there.
It's an information overload, because so many shares their knowledge. It's a place that I use to find unobtrusiveness. I tell my computer how it is to look in appearance, how I interact with it. I prefer minimalism. Usually a black terminal. If I need to lookup a C function, I type ALT+SHIFT+E followed by st -e man FUNCTION. In less than one second, I am already reading about it. Shell scripting, is the most useful thing in Linux. Using it, a kind of programming language, one can create small programs called scripts within a matter of minutes. These small programs can aid you in alot of scenarios. There is endless fun. Something that you would not think possible... say rename all the music files you have to remove un-needed parts. It is achieveable with shell scripting. But the process of learning it is a bit tedious at first. If you learn it, it will give you a very different perspective about computers. And it will save you time. Until I used Linux, I knew nothing Jon Snow.

It's also kind of an escape for me, because I feel safe in it. I've written my own scripts for things like backup, connecting to wireless, sending / receiving / decoding / reading email, capturing the desktop, merging videos and audio, downloading from various sites. I've replaced BASH with busybox's ASH. There is nothing that gets *automatically* installed. There are no icons if I do not wish it. There is no mouse pointer if I do not wish it. It's all just respecting and neat, but a steep learning curve.

Of course there are Linux Distributions, but these are usually (few deviations) just a Package Manager, a Desktop Environment, and a Logo to remind you that, yes this is indeed Ubuntu that you are using. I use Debian, but I use the most minimal version, I build my system from there. Deviations, I mean distributions that dramatically change and aspect of how the system operates. One example is TinyCore. I've wanted to switch to it for sometime, but it is not a priority.

Yeah I use Linux. I use Kali mainly but I also use some other distros like TAILS, cent. I've been trying out Ubuntu and mint recently and I might try out live hacking OS in the near future.

I recently got a raspberry pi 3 model b. Currently running raspbian on it. Plan on getting ubuntu mate in the future. Also have a very old low spec laptop currently running lubuntu. It used to run Windows xp. Lubuntu is a low resource version of ubuntu. I recommend it for older machines.

Only got into Linux last year. So I am still learning how it works.

I recently got a raspberry pi 3 model b. Currently running raspbian on it. Plan on getting ubuntu mate in the future. Also have a very old low spec laptop currently running lubuntu. It used to run Windows xp. Lubuntu is a low resource version of ubuntu. I recommend it for older machines.

Only got into Linux last year. So I am still learning how it works.
yeah Linux is good once you understand how to use the different features, more specifically the terminal. and the raspberry pi is cool I made a calculator out of one, lbuntu sounds cool I'll check it out(even though I don't particularly like Ubuntu much I prefer Kali and fedora, I don't like the whole GUI that looks like Windows OS's. I prefer if an OS has a GUI that should be something new, not based off of other OS's unless they are based on other distros for example black arch is based off of arch Linux)

New Threads

Top Bottom