• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone using Linux?

WildCat

V.I.P Member
Anyone on here using or trying out Linux on their computer? What are your thoughts on it? I've decided to bite the bullet and split my now small-ish hard drive in half to accommodate Linux Mint 14 and Windows 7, the latter of which was my primary OS until now. I'm fortunate to have compatible hardware even if I have to resort to proprietary drivers, it being as new as it is and under Linux, which is touted as being an "open-source" OS.

Though it was a bit of a hassle to get set up and working, everything's apparently good now and I'm in the process of installing my desired software (Google Chrome for one, which just so happens to be available for Ubuntu and Debian based systems) and tweaking things a bit to get it to my liking. I'm impressed with Mint 14, not that I wouldn't be though as Mint 11 also being used on a Thinkpad laptop which I also own. I can't attest to it being less resource demanding and more efficient or usable than the alternatives (yet), but like most of the other modern Linux variants out there it is quite user-friendly and highly customizable.

Last edited:
Really like Linux !!! Have been running different builds of it for quite awhile and actually I'm waiting for the the new android phone release of Ubuntu for my galaxy. I actually despise windows , and I don't think it's reasonable at this point or worth it just to play games besides alot of stuff is starting to get developed for linux.

Guess this might be good thread to ask something semi-related.

Why Linux? What advantage does it have, besides in general not being Windows? I don't think I should switch to Linux, but perhaps people can convince me to give it a try.

Guess this might be good thread to ask something semi-related.

Why Linux? What advantage does it have, besides in general not being Windows? I don't think I should switch to Linux, but perhaps people can convince me to give it a try.

Well I tend to like linux because it really is pretty much virus free. It's a very light OS that frees up alot of system resources and if something goes wrong one can reinstall a linux build in about 20 min vrs. the "day" it will take to reinstall windows with all the microsoft updates . :) I like the fact that Linux is free and there are 100's of diferent builds of it that are open source. There is also the " utility tool" aspect of linux , I've been able to recover data that I usally could not with builds like Knoppix . I have a great "live cd usb" that I can plug into any computer and have a complete gui that leaves no trace that I was ever even there. I don't say this because I'm a "hacker" but it comes in handy , like the othere day when I was repairing a computer and the HDD was completely unaccessible ..

Also Linux is streamlined like Mac but without all the weird 3 party developer retrictions and it does not cost "millions of dollars" to have an impressive , fuctional secure sytem. :p

All and all , Linux is a really great resource and I've seen it completely bring old pc 's literly back from the dead

I've been using Fedora as my main operating system for several years, and have it on my all hardwares. I also run win7 by it's side on one computer.

It seems that I'm not going to persuade in the most generic manner despite how happy I'm with my user experience.
Linux tend to run lighter than MS products, so there can be several advantages on older machines on basic and more professional uses in means of process speed and overall usability.
I'm using it also because basically I want to do it all the hard way. In other words I enjoy how customizable Linux systems can be - but with many distros that can be enjoyed only after serious training, that can take time and start on your nerves. And that can be most fun. Almost everyone can agree that they're not all to like about, different people just like different aspects Choosing systems that responds to ones individual needs can also be difficult, because there are so much on offer right now. These can be quite ready served ready-to-use, but can be done so much further when needed.
Also it has been discussed whether Windows is targeted more of malicious attacks, but that doesn't really mean there'd not be similar for linux and mac environments.

The obvious ones that come to my head: it's free, it's "open source" rather than "closed source" like Windows, it was built with security in mind since day one (though, in theory, it's not fully "secure"), it's highly customizable, excellent user support...the list goes on?

I'm likely not going to switch exclusively to Linux, though, as it still has a somewhat steeper learning curve than Windows or even Mac OS, and that the majority of software and hardware vendors do steer their efforts towards being compatible first and foremost with Windows (and the last thing I need is an operating system which isn't fully compatible with my hardware or software). Obviously, that's where Windows takes the advantage - the mainstream support, and I'm running a dual boot configuration for that reason alone. I simply wanted to give it a shot without having to choose either-or and, well, if I'm not satisfied I can just as easily remove the Linux partition as quickly as I made it and revert back to only Windows 7 :) I will admit, both have their flaws and strengths and (especially true for the average computer user) it may very well not be your cup of tea, but if you do want to give it a try there are many methods you can use...you don't even have to install it to the hard drive and set-it-and-forget-it as with Windows. Like Lector mentioned earlier, you can create a bootable distro from a USB stick or CD/DVD and do no harm to your Windows install, just plug it in, set yourself up to boot from USB or CD/DVD and you're essentially running Linux right there on the spot.

Last edited:
Tux.png

I've always believed in the right tool for the right job. As far as Linux is concerned, I started learning with Linux by working with Slackware distro way back. In terms of X environments, I always liked working in KDE over Gnome. Recently, I've also checked out more user friendly distros, and I happen to like Linux Mint. If anyone is interested in starting out and learning about a Linux OS environment, Linux Mint is a good place to start. It's painless and very user friendly. Slackware was far less user friendly (not at all) which was why I chose to learn with that in an effort to challenge myself. Presently, I have one of my backup laptops running Linux Mint. The other laptop is also a backup and I use it for gaming as well when I'm not using my main desktop gaming machine (which I recently brought back from the dead) Both are running Windows 7.

Remember, Linux isn't am operating system. It's just the kernel. While kernels can technically be their own operating system, the Linux kernel needs the GNU userspace to work. What people commonly call 'Linux' is really 'GNU/Linux.'

I use Parabola GNU/Linux as my main OS. For all intensive purposes, it's Arch Linux, except that it has all non-free components removed and is approved by the FSF. Arch is a GNU/Linux distro that's designed around the user being in full control of their system. It has an extremely minimal default setup and lets you create the system you want to use. While I love Parabola/Arch, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners since it can be time consuming. For beginners, I'd recommend Trisquel or Mint. The good thing is, you don't need to install GNU/Linux to try it. You can create a live CD/DVD or bootable USB and you are good to go. You can also install in VirtualBox.

Things I like about GNU/Linux in general:
-- For the most part, it is free (as in freedom, not as in price) and open source.
-- It uses a package manager to install software and keep it up to date, which is inherently more secure than downloading from a third party website.
-- It can be both very user friendly and fully customizable at the same time.
-- The user can choose from a great variety of desktop interfaces and window managers.
-- Speaking which, tiling window managers. (!)
-- There is a wide variety of filesystems to choose from.
-- The user can have a system that varies on the spectrum of never using a terminal to using the terminal for everything.

Things I like about Parabola/Arch specifically:
-- The package manager (pacman) is amazing, especially when dealing with updates in configuration files.
-- The system comes with barely any defaults and lets you choose that for yourself.
-- The community has an RTFM attitude, which is great if you like problem solving.
-- The software is pretty much always the most up-to-date stable version.
-- Sage mathematics software is in the official repositories. (!)
-- The Arch User Repository

Things I don't like about GNU/Linux in general:
-- Not the best hardware support, although this really isn't a problem at all for my laptop.
-- There is no FOSS equivalent of LabVIEW.
-- The most widely used kernel comes with proprietary components.

Things I don't like about Parabola/Arch specifically:
-- Occaisonally there's a package for a very new version of some software that has a bug.
-- It can be time consuming, but I knew that when I picked the distro.

Things I use my computer for on a regular basis:
-- Homework (viewing pdf files, programming, and typing reports)
-- Programming (Python, C/C++, Arduino)
-- Surfing the internet.
-- Watching movies.
-- Listen to music.

Favorite software:
-- xmonad window manager
-- zathura pdf viewer
-- vim text editor
-- xfce4-terminal
-- tmux terminal multiplexer
-- mplayer movie player
-- mpd music daemon
-- ncmpcpp music player
-- dwb web browser
-- sage mathematics software
-- ipython shell
-- ROOT toolkit (particle physics data analysis software)

tl;dr: You should all give GNU/Linux a try. It's fun!

The main reason why I use Linux is, of course, because I study Computer Science, and I guess it is a shame for a computer scientist not to know how to use Linux these days. But I would say in a personal perspective that I became kind of obsessed with it for a while. I used Arch Linux for about two years as a challenge for myself, and spent part of last year using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Gnome-shell as graphic interface. This month I have updated to Ubuntu 13.04 and I'm finally giving a chance to Unity.

I don't like Windows at all. I hate its graphic interface and horrible terminal emulator. I hate how so many things are done without asking the user's permission and how restricted is the environment, what doesn't mean it's a bad operating system; I just don't feel "home" using it anymore. Besides that, Windows users are pretty much chained to what a single company (Microsoft) decide. If I don't like Metro interface, bad for me. This kind of thing doesn't happen in the Linux world (when Gnome changed to version 3, people that didn't like it got together and kept developing the old version with a new name, Cinamon).

So I'd say there are three main reasons why anyone would change to Linux:
1 - It's free (you don't have to pay for it and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it);
2 - It's open source (based on the principle that knowledge is more useful when is shared than when kept locked);
3 - It's a good new challenge for anyone that's bored :p

What is your opinion on feature of Unity that sends your desktop searches to amazon?

Hahah, actually I don't worry too much about it, I think Amazon hits right offering me books when I enter the site. For now, I didn't remove it...

Last edited:
I also recently started maintaining the server for my school's Society of Physics Students, which is running Debian GNU/Linux.

I moved two weeks ago to Debian. Before that, I was on Mandriva, then on Ubuntu for two years, then I wanted to get a new distribution, and decided to install Debian after trying Manjaro, Fedora, and Mint.

King Oni, Linux is a very powerful operating system that can do a lot more than windows. Unfortunately, it has no pretty graphics or simple Wizards. Different distributions treat users in different ways, of course. For example, Ubuntu adequately helps new users by bloating the software and removing user control. Slackware, on the other hand, gives you the source code and the system documentation, and then hands you the gun. It doesn't care whether you shoot your foot off or your leg.

Does that mean you should use linux? Of course not.

Reasons to Use Linux:

1. You have no money and want free software.
2. You want more power than windows, and like total control.

Otherwise, just stick with Windows.

King Oni, Linux is a very powerful operating system that can do a lot more than windows. Unfortunately, it has no pretty graphics or simple Wizards. Different distributions treat users in different ways, of course. For example, Ubuntu adequately helps new users by bloating the software and removing user control. Slackware, on the other hand, gives you the source code and the system documentation, and then hands you the gun. It doesn't care whether you shoot your foot off or your leg.

Does that mean you should use linux? Of course not.

Reasons to Use Linux:

1. You have no money and want free software.
2. You want more power than windows, and like total control.

Otherwise, just stick with Windows.

I'm going to have to object to some things because since things here are wrong. In terms of the pretty graphics, I beg to disagree. I'm not an Ubuntu user, but the Unity interface is sexy as **** in terms of appearances. Gnome and KDE have also made some good looking desktop environments. As for the wizards, the package managers, which are incredibly easy to use, take care of all of the application setup and removes the need for wizards. Why use a wizard when a quick and easy command or a simple GUI (*barfs*) software installer does the installation and everything for you?

I'm going to have to object to the reasons that you listed.

1. I can afford to pay software, and I have donated to free software projects. I will not pay for software that doesn't make its source code available.
2. This is valid, but that's because Windows is a locked down piece of ****. Even Macs give you more control than windows (you can compile your own kernel in a mac).

Other reasons to use Linux:

-- You want everything to just work and to be simple to use (not applicable to DIY distros like arch, gentoo, or slackware).
-- You recognize that unix is a better design of an operating system, but you don't like Apple products.
-- Linux has better software available for it.
-- You use unix servers at work.
-- You do programming for fun or work.
-- You want a more stable filesystem to store your data (NTFS is garbage).
-- Hell, you want everything to be stable and secure.
-- You want better control over things like encryption.
-- You don't want an operating system where the people in charge willingly and even voluntarily let the NSA and other government agencies into your computer.
-- You recognize that there is no such thing as a piece of software that is both close-source and secure.
-- You have a moral objection to giving a company like Microsoft money.

Really, the only reasons not to use Linux are if you have some niche job/hobby that requires you to use Windows or OSX or you are a gamer.

I have used Linux off and on over the years, mostly on older machines. Right now, out of sheer boredom, I want to use it as a virtual machine (I know, HERESY!) on OS X, and am starting to try different distros to see which I like. Right now I am running a live ISO of Mint 15 and I do not like the MATE interface AT ALL.

Remember, Linux isn't am operating system. It's just the kernel. While kernels can technically be their own operating system, the Linux kernel needs the GNU userspace to work. What people commonly call 'Linux' is really 'GNU/Linux.'
Wow, I didn't know Richard Stallman had an account on these forums! Looks like we have a celebrity here.

I have used linux on and off for 4 years. It is way easier to use than it used to be. On my laptop for example I didn't even need to manually install drivers when I installed mint, like I would have if I put windows on there.

Having said that it is harder to do a lot of things on there, for me anyway. It's harder to find software with a gui (or at all). Then there are the compatibility issues between versions. Then there's the fact that whenever I try to find a guide I end up with 2-5 year old instructions that are no longer relevant - or can't find a solution at all. I'm not that interested in using the terminal. Sure, I have had to do it many times but it shouldn't be necessary, I mean, if you want more people to use linux.

I think a lot of the time when I'm having trouble it is mainly because no one has stepped in and offered a user friendly solution yet - there's a definite lack of user friendly software available.

Above are my only gripes, Linux operating systems seem to be superior to windows in every other way.
I wish open source well in the future. I hope it can take over the market.

Above are my only gripes, Linux operating systems seem to be superior to windows in every other way.
I wish open source well in the future. I hope it can take over the market.

Agreed. Unfortunately in this society the entity who markets their mousetrap better wins more often than the one who invents a better mousetrap.

New Threads

Top Bottom