• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anyone on here likes languages

Yes, me! I've learned to various levels of proficiency German, Modern Greek, French, Romanian, Spanish and Italian.
Which languages are you learning/have you learned?

Last edited:
Ooh, I do! But not traditional ones... I studied Koine Greek while in my Undergraduate program and Biblical Hebrew in my Master's. I'm very slowly learning Spanish, but I'm not being very good at teaching myself regularly. I just have what I got in high school and what I've picked up living in Los Angeles and volunteering with a group of Spanish speakers.

Edit: My Greek and Hebrew studies are primarily for reading/translation, not conversational. I can speak out loud what I'm reading, albeit slowly and poorly because the pronunciation we learned in class is often different from the modern speaker's.

Yes!!! I have a special interest in learning other languages. I do not know enough of any to speak it well (I'm even bad at English!!!), but I do love learning words and phrases from around the world.

I enjoy learning however l feel stumped when listening to native speakers. Dualingo is a free language course that l do daily on my cell, and l really enjoy it. I am only doing two languages on it. But they offer Hebrew, Russian, Navajo, etc. There are some ads but it doesn't bother me at all.

I learned german. I was so good, that I started with that since birth and I´m very good in it. I also know a bit english.

anyone on here likes yo learn.differwent languages
I'm trying to learn Spanish as I'll be moving to Chile soon; I'd also love to learn Basque, the language of my ancestors, though I have a heard time finding the time and resources to learn it.

I absolutely love language. I live at Uluru - 450kms from the middle of nowhere in western terms, and there are comprehensive languages that have been spoken here for 30,000 years. I don't speak any languages apart from english, but I know a great deal about all the major languages which English etymology moved through. Ahhhh, English and History - etymology is the best. If ever any Aspies out there wish to collaborate on any creative writing we should definitely discuss it. I think I'm in a place where you folks will understand that while we do have blind spots, our insights are deep, unique, and we'll received at large.

All of you wonderfully gifted language learners... I studied Spanish for 5 years between middle and high school and can only speak it if you sneak up behind me and scare me half-to-death with a loudly asked question in Spanish. Would you know, I will always answer in Spanish??? (I just don't get that. How come I can speak good Spanish when scared half-to-death--but not remember a word otherwise? Geesh.) Obviously, I had a friend who liked to do that...

I have a research-level grasp of Koine Greek. Supposedly. But my confidence that I can order a hot chocolate in Spanish is much, much higher than getting my Greek parsings right...

Kudos to all you language lovers. You're all amazing.

I’m supposed to know more Spanish than English but it’s the other way around lol

All of you wonderfully gifted language learners... I studied Spanish for 5 years between middle and high school and can only speak it if you sneak up behind me and scare me half-to-death with a loudly asked question in Spanish. Would you know, I will always answer in Spanish??? (I just don't get that. How come I can speak good Spanish when scared half-to-death--but not remember a word otherwise? Geesh.) Obviously, I had a friend who liked to do that...

I have a research-level grasp of Koine Greek. Supposedly. But my confidence that I can order a hot chocolate in Spanish is much, much higher than getting my Greek parsings right...

Kudos to all you language lovers. You're all amazing.
Admittedly my Greek is rusty, but I'm comfortable enough that i can generally grasp the gist of a phrase based on what I know + context, and have the tools to quickly look up any infrequent words.

I work in a remote tourism resort and guests leave novels behind once read. Two years ago I read an entire crime novel written in German by translating every word or sentence. It was a good book, I learnt many German words I wasn't familiar with, and I'm no closer to being able to speak German.
Admittedly my Greek is rusty, but I'm comfortable enough that i can generally grasp the gist of a phrase based on what I know + context, and have the tools to quickly look up any infrequent words.

New Threads

Top Bottom