• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone on here have a man cave or she shed?

Oh...I misinterpreted that as you sharing more pictures. Apologies for that.

If you meant pics of my living space, I'd rather not. It's a mess right now :confused:
Haha that's ok and if you want I will post more pictures but I'll probably do it tomorrow thanks for taking interest and my shed

If I had that particular space to deal with, considering the walls and ceiling surfaces I might have tried to make it look like the inside Captain Nemo's submarine- the Nautilus. I was always a big Jules Verne fan. :cool:

Complete with some phony portholes. Yeah..I'd love that. :p

Hey Judge, if you develop that idea I can send you some underwater pictures of colorful reef fish to put in the portholes, XD!

I love to have a she shed,I do have some of my doll collection in a spare room but it’s also a guest room for when one of my husbands friends stay over,I would love to have room where I could have my dolls and also have a study desk for when I want to draw,my husband has his man cave though which is the garage where he has his Rc cars and workbench.

I love to have a she shed,I do have some of my doll collection in a spare room but it’s also a guest room for when one of my husbands friends stay over,I would love to have room where I could have my dolls and also have a study desk for when I want to draw,my husband has his man cave though which is the garage where he has his Rc cars and workbench.
You'll have to take up squatters rights and take over the garage haha

You folks have inspired me. I want to set up library and laboratory. Upstairs has good light but low ceiling. I could use it as library/reading room, but I'd have to build or buy all new shelves. What can I do to brighten the downstairs?

This is what I've got to work with. All the lights are on, and it's still yellow and shadowy. The windows open to a covered porch. Do you think painting the porch would help?

IMG_20180613_090257535.jpg

Here's an exterior view. The outside area still needs a lot of cleanup too.
IMG_20180613_085903208.jpg

Hey Judge, if you develop that idea I can send you some underwater pictures of colorful reef fish to put in the portholes, XD!

Well, I suppose one could hang small flatscreen monitors on the wall and just give them circular porthole bezels over the screens and then run aquarium screensavers to each monitor. :p

I am so affected by lighting. Sometimes I have the uv light on by itself and other times I have other lights on as well. I find it very calming. I also have fluorescent items in the room that glow under uv light

What brand of up light? Which one? How many minutes a day do you use it?

You folks have inspired me. I want to set up library and laboratory. Upstairs has good light but low ceiling. I could use it as library/reading room, but I'd have to build or buy all new shelves. What can I do to brighten the downstairs?

This is what I've got to work with. All the lights are on, and it's still yellow and shadowy. The windows open to a covered porch. Do you think painting the porch would help?

IMG_20180613_090257535.jpg

Here's an exterior view. The outside area still needs a lot of cleanup too.
IMG_20180613_085903208.jpg
Can I ask do you have many books and if you do how many approximately or would you do a lot of reading with a Kindle or something like that and you say laboratory so what types of apparatus have you got anything big or bulky and if you don't mind me asking do you have any sort of budget or are we going along the lines of make do and mend and may I ask have you any problems with lighting is there anything that will cause you discomfort or is lighting not an issue for you and what is your favourite colour and then do you want this space to be themed or just relaxing and practical

It's all quite subjective. However I'm especially sensitive to lower Kelvin levels of light. Can't stand that "jaundiced" yellow look indoors.

So I use all LED "Daylight" lights at 5000+ degrees Kelvin. Just pay attention to packaging of the lights you purchase.

Can I ask do you have many books and if you do how many approximately or would you do a lot of reading with a Kindle or something like that and you say laboratory so what types of apparatus have you got anything big or bulky and if you don't mind me asking do you have any sort of budget or are we going along the lines of make do and mend and may I ask have you any problems with lighting is there anything that will cause you discomfort or is lighting not an issue for you and what is your favourite colour and then do you want this space to be themed or just relaxing and practical
I have a wall of books, 7 feet high by 10 feet long, plus a few boxes. I also have a Kindle. I can't get rid of any books - it would be like giving away a beloved pet - but I'm trying to not bring in too many more.

As for the laboratory, I dream of having a cad computer and 3d printer, and maybe some long countertops. Not much equipment comes to mind right now, but it's kind of a nebulous pipe dream kind of thing.

I love to make do, but I have a little money put away for the work, about $2000. I definitely will be buying paint. I'm a little handy, I think I can build shelves, counters, and desks, but nothing fancy. I can do sturdy, not beautiful.

My preference is an open airy space with good natural light, but I'm not sensitive to fluorescent light like many people are, at least not at a conscious level. I prefer white, light blue, or purple shades, not much pink, orange, or yellow. I'm neutral on neutral colors in decor. I don't care for dark walls or ceilings, lighter is better.

I'd like the space to be comfortable for family members - the "barn" is meant to be where our guests can stay but we never have guests. My "thing" these days is planets and space, and I have a few posters and models, but I don't want to go overboard. I am going for style, not clutter, though my natural inclination is toward clutter.

The upstairs is nice, but the ceiling is low and walls slanted, so furniture is challenging. Plus most things won't fit up the narrow stairs. There is a bed and small sofa up there, but they must have been put in before it was fully built. I'm short, so I can stand in the room just fine. Tall people have to duck. The upstairs would be more suited to be a private relaxation room with a soft theme. I'd like to line the walls with low bookshelves, add lamps, and with fresh paint, not much else would be needed, maybe a framed print or two if anything.

The screened porch would make a lovely sitting area, but it's the part that needs the most work. There are plants coming through the floor, wasp nests, holes in the screens, and stacks of old broken junk.

I have a wall of books, 7 feet high by 10 feet long, plus a few boxes. I also have a Kindle. I can't get rid of any books - it would be like giving away a beloved pet - but I'm trying to not bring in too many more.

As for the laboratory, I dream of having a cad computer and 3d printer, and maybe some long countertops. Not much equipment comes to mind right now, but it's kind of a nebulous pipe dream kind of thing.

I love to make do, but I have a little money put away for the work, about $2000. I definitely will be buying paint. I'm a little handy, I think I can build shelves, counters, and desks, but nothing fancy. I can do sturdy, not beautiful.

My preference is an open airy space with good natural light, but I'm not sensitive to fluorescent light like many people are, at least not at a conscious level. I prefer white, light blue, or purple shades, not much pink, orange, or yellow. I'm neutral on neutral colors in decor. I don't care for dark walls or ceilings, lighter is better.

I'd like the space to be comfortable for family members - the "barn" is meant to be where our guests can stay but we never have guests. My "thing" these days is planets and space, and I have a few posters and models, but I don't want to go overboard. I am going for style, not clutter, though my natural inclination is toward clutter.

The upstairs is nice, but the ceiling is low and walls slanted, so furniture is challenging. Plus most things won't fit up the narrow stairs. There is a bed and small sofa up there, but they must have been put in before it was fully built. I'm short, so I can stand in the room just fine. Tall people have to duck. The upstairs would be more suited to be a private relaxation room with a soft theme. I'd like to line the walls with low bookshelves, add lamps, and with fresh paint, not much else would be needed, maybe a framed print or two if anything.

The screened porch would make a lovely sitting area, but it's the part that needs the most work. There are plants coming through the floor, wasp nests, holes in the screens, and stacks of old broken junk.
I'm going to bed now but I will have a good think about your space I'll drop you a message tomorrow if you can take a few more pictures from some different angles that would be great and post them and if you don't feel comfortable private message me

Oh, I have to add:

I have a few pieces of not valuable antique furniture that I want to use. I have a writing desk, a telephone bench (?), a small shelf, and a sewing machine table.

Also, I'd love to be able to display my very tiny piece of moon rock. (As small as you can think of, it's smaller, but it's in a case with an information card.) I have to keep it in a drawer now, and that is sad.

Last edited:
Oh, I have to add:

I have a few pieces of not valuable antique furniture that I want to use. I have a writing desk, a telephone bench (?), a small shelf, and a sewing machine table.

Ok my suggestion would be that I would first paint the ceiling white as it's too dark and closing the room and it would lighten things up and give the impression of a bigger space and maybe what about a light grey for the walls to give that masculine tone to the room and maybe do the woodwork and white gloss just to tie things in and on that back wall were that extractor fan or whatever it is is on the wall I would shelve that wall if you want your your books downstairs and then that would be your feature wall then what I would do is put a settee in front of that and two side tables each side with two nice lamps and on the side tables you can display your curios and if you're using the settee that you have there now you can get fabric paint if you want to freshen things up and if you have a model of planets dangling from the ceiling in the corner just to bring your thing into the room but do it tastefully not tacky and then I would put your writing desk under your window with nice printed roller blinds on the windows as well and a nice desk lamp and what are you planning to do about the floor I would suggest lino is it would be the cheapest and the most practical probably and then a nice rug and the other thing I would suggest would be turn your light switch into a dimmer so when you're looking to relax you can just let the the lamps do the work it would be so much more relaxing no that's just my idea but if you wouldn't mind like I said yesterday if you could take some more pictures at different angles and maybe give the dimensions of the room and even if you were to draw out an outline of the room and put the measurements on it as I can see you have a bit of an L shape going on so it may be easier to draw light and put the measurements on it and if you could take some pictures of these pieces of furniture you would like to use and are you using any of the furniture that is in the room at the moment and whereabouts were you thinking of putting your books
you would like to use and are you using any of the furniture that is in the room at the moment and whereabouts were you thinking of putting your books

@What time is it? Thanks so much!

I've been busy yesterday and will be again today, my son is graduating high school. I'll try to get some pictures and maybe draw a sketch with dimensions on the weekend. The adult son of the previous landowner lived there, and he left much of his furniture, probably because he had no use for it in the place he was moving into. It's old but still good. The thing on the wall is an air conditioning unit, but it doesn't work. That old TV above the gas fireplace does work though.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow or maybe this afternoon, when I have some time. This is exciting! Thanks!

New Threads

Top Bottom